Author Topic: G Renwick Artist & Photographer, Burton on Trent  (Read 6171 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: G Renwick Artist & Photographer, Burton on Trent
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 May 07 04:59 BST (UK) »
G'day Brett,
Nice to see that photo again  ;) ;D
I forgot to give you my date estimates for the pictures i sent you.
I agree with you that this one would be late 1870s, based on the clothes, the pose and the printed design on the back.
Cheers
Prue

Offline Brett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 May 07 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Prue, and thanks for the permission to use the images.  I'm in the process of having a look at the batch you sent, and will get back to you with my analyses, including this one, shortly.  Regards and best wishes,  Brett

Offline victorianIMAGEcollection

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 June 07 16:46 BST (UK) »
Dating Renwick cdv. The card shown has a medal dated 1874. It must be after that date.  I have 4 differnt design cdv with medals illustrated. The next on shows 3 medals and the added ones are both dated 1883/4.  The TRELLIS design was common in 1874 and had more or less died out by 1880 although Renwick appears to have used up his stock after that date.  Conclusion - definitely between 1874 and 1884.  Many Renwick cdv have negative nos on them which would have helped.  This one does not appear to have one. Regards
Cosens

Offline gerryrover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 17:52 BST (UK) »
could anyone tell the the date of when the attached photo was taken and possibly who are the people from the reference on the back.

Offline Brett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 20:43 BST (UK) »
Judging from the medals shown on the reverse and the fashion of the woman's clothing, the date is between 1885 and 1889ish.  Negative books for this studio are very unlikely to have survived, so the chance of determining subjects' names from the negative number are practically nil.

Your best bet, if they are family members, is to estimate ages, and therefore approximate dates of birth, and look for suitable candidates who are likely to have been in Burton-on-Trent in this time frame.

Regards and best wishes, Brett

Offline gerryrover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 16 August 13 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Brett Many thanks for your quick response.  I do not have any names to fit the photo so looks like big problem.  Our family surnames end of 19th century were Alderwood, Atkinson, Hadland, Oldham and Page, all in the Midlands.  Will work on your advice but perhaps one of these names will mean something to another menmber.  Regards Gerry.