Author Topic: Re: 1851 AND 1861 CHEYNE & YOUNSON  (Read 6671 times)

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 AND 1861 CHEYNE & YOUNSON
« on: Thursday 29 September 05 04:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am interested in the Cheyne and Younson families.

Helen Cheyne was born approximately 1840 in Lerwick, Shetland (according to her marriage and death certificates. She was the daughter of Alexander Cheyne and May Younson or (Marjory Youngson).

Alexander was a Merchant Seaman and deceased by the time of Helen's marriage in 1864, to David Baskerville. Helen and David were married in Edinburgh.

I would greatly appreciate any information that you can find on these families, as I have been unable to find any birth details for Helen in Lerwick or anywhere else. I also have been unable to find any information about her parents or other possible family members.

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 April 06 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Janice

Sorry you did not get a reply to this request.

Are you still looking for the information?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 April 06 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you for asking.

Unfortunately, I still have no other information on this line of my family. Even a researcher that was hired several years back, could find nothing.

(I am still hoping though!)

Janice

Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 20:05 GMT (UK) »
had a wee look at this post and this is about as much info as i can find on the cheyne family

alexander married marjory youngson on the 25th july 1835 lerwick

1841 census for lerwick had as head's of househouls maybe

barbara...age 30...paterson's peir

william...age 47...8 burn's close...shoemaker

laurence...age 60...main street...fisherman

robert...age 65...main street...fisherman

on the 851 census for lerwick (as lodger with elizabeth robertson)

marjory...age 52...hosiery knitter...born whalsay

on the 1851 in edinburgh st cuthbert's (living with uncle joseph grieve)

helen...age 12...niece...born lerwick

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Joe.

I have been looking for Helen in 1851 for forever!

I had thought she might be living in Edinburgh but couldn't see her.

Alexander was a Merchant Seaman, so probably not home alot.

Thanks again, as this has helped quite a bit, and even given a new name to research.

Janice :)

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 January 07 11:22 GMT (UK) »
had another look for you pal

going on the basis that your alexander married in 1835, i always assume that the groom maybe be in his 20's making him born around 1815

joseph grieve married williamina cheyne on the 6th june 1844 in edinburgh

so i tried to find out who williamina was, if helen was her niece, that means that alexander was her brother, yes?

so 1841 census says she is living with what looks like her father malcolm

so investigating malcolm throws up a marriage to katharine williamson on the 13th march 1806 at walls shetland.

children from this marriage

mary scott cheyne...born 6/4/07
peter cheyne...born 24/3/09
john scott cheyne...born 24/8/10
ann cheyne...born 14/11/12
georgeina cheyne...born 1814
john cheyne...born 6/9/16
helen cheyne...born 25/1/19
williamina cheyne...born 3/12/21

no sign of your alexander, but that is not to say he does not belong to this family.

i do not wish to give you false hope, what i wish to do is maybe open up some avenues for you to exlore.

maybe a visit to www.tribalpages.com/tribes/cheyne may help discover something.

wishing you well

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 January 07 06:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Joe! :)

I appreciate any ideas when it comes to this line. The name Williamson does keep popping up in this family, so I will keep this family in mind to check with any new information.

Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that one before.

All the best!

Janice