Author Topic: 1841 and 1851 Census Norfolk  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Logdore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1841 and 1851 Census Norfolk
« on: Wednesday 13 October 04 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm looking for any information on HOPKINS in (Great) Yarmouth. I have an Eliza Hopkins born in Yarmouth, Norfolk in 1843.

Many thanks,

David

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 and 1851 Census Norfolk
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 October 04 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi I have just had a look on the 1851 census and couldn't find your Eliza in fact I couldn't find any Hopkins or Hopkin that were even born or living in Yarmouth. I don't actually see the census as it is already transcribed so maybe the pages covering your family were unreadable.
Are you sure she was from Yarmouth? Do you have any idea of parents names or sibling? Sorry I couldn't find anything for you Good luck Anjo

Offline Logdore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 October 04 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Anjo.

She appears on the 1881 census for Edmonton, London as follows:

Eliza MONK   Wife   M   Female   38   Yarmouth, Norfolk, England   

She was married to Charles Monk in Hertfordshire in 1859 and her marriage certificate shows her maiden name as Eliza Hopkins. Fathers name not given.

I can only assume that by 1851 her family had moved from Yarmouth to Hertfordshire.

Many thanks for having a look for me.

David

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 October 04 19:58 BST (UK) »
If you ever find out who her parents were I could try the 1841 census for you. this is only searchable by placename and as yarmouth is a big place and there could be loads of Hopkins its just something I don't want to take on just yet but like I say if you find parents I will give it a go. Ok

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 October 04 20:03 BST (UK) »
Are you sure about your dates as she would have only been sixteen when married so would have needed parental permission wouldn't she?

Have you looked at wills yet?

Best of luck.

Ted
Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.

Offline Logdore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 October 04 08:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the offer Anjo. I'll keep searching for her parents.

Hi Ted. I'm as sure as I can be about the marriage as it ties in with all the other information I have. The marriage certificate is certainly a bit of a strange one as it just shows their ages as "of full age" and has a blank where Eliza's father should be. It's almost as if she sneaked off and got married without consent (perhaps she didn't tell the truth about her age if that was possible?)

I hadn't thought to look at wills. Where should I start looking for those?

Regards,

David

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 October 04 21:56 BST (UK) »
If the marriage certificate says of full age then something isn't right as she was not 21.

Where you find wills depend on lots of things but first of all you need to have a date of death.  If it is after 1858 it should be fairly easy to locate as there are national published indexes for each year which should be held in your local reference library.

Before 1858 you need to know where the testator was living when he/she died as well as the date of death.  If they were in Norfolk the wills should be in the New Archive Centre but you will have to look at the indexes for several courts as it depended where the will was proved.  NCC, ANW, ANF and there are some Peculiars too.

Obviously, not every person left a will but it is worth the effort in looking for a will or indeed an administration, because they can be absolutely fantastic sources of family history.  They can include personal thoughts, show family feuds, list important things, name obscure relations etc etc.

If you need further help please do get back to me, if you have dates and places of death I may be able to look next time I am in Norwich.

Get a good book from the library and read up about wills as they are fascinating but can be complicated to locate sometimes.

Have you located the family in 1861, 71, 91, 1901?  Often places of birth and ages differ from census to census.

Best wishes.

Ted
Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.

Offline Logdore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 October 04 15:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your advice, Ted.

I have located the family in the 1871 census and all the data tallies with the 1881 census except for her husband's age, which appears to differ by a couple of years. They both say that she was born in Yarmouth, Norfolk. I've also just realised that her daughter's birth certficate confirms the parents names as Charles Monk and Eliza Monk, formerly Hopkins. Eliza died in Edmonton in 1883 aged 39.

I will certainly have a look for information at my local library and try to search for a will.

Many thanks again,

David