Author Topic: Surname CARREY, in Glenluce  (Read 5221 times)

Offline cannyfindit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Surname CARREY, in Glenluce
« on: Tuesday 18 April 06 15:07 BST (UK) »
After some months trawling records for Glasgow (with thanks to those forum-users in the Lanark section), I have now traced my CAREY/CARREY family to Glenluce, Wigtonshire.
Unfortunately the OPRs do not yield any appropriate birth/baptism records in that area for a William Carrey, who would have been born around 1804.
There is always the possibility that his birth wasnt registered, and the family may have come from Northern Ireland initially; William himself marrying someone from Kilmarnock before the whole surname "migrates" to Glasgow.
I have no familiarity with the Glenluce area at all; what churches would be there, and would their records have been included in the OPR lists under Scotlandspeople? Or would Glenluce people have been recorded at another church/another area?
Carey or Carrey (Lanarkshire, Galloway, ?Ireland)
Mathie (Renfrewshire)
Wilson (Cumbria, Northumberland)
Lawson (Cumbria, beyond)
James (Bradford on Avon and Cardiff)
Green (Bradford on Avon)
Tripp (Cheddar and Shipham, Somerset)

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Surname CARREY, in Glenluce
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 06:35 BST (UK) »
hi,
and old post, but maybe you are still around.
glenluce is a small village about 5 miles outside stranraer ( a link to your irish connection )
if i remember rightly, glenluce had only one small church ( sorry can't remember the name )
have you checked the stranraer records?
steve
just remembered, at one time, glenluce was called old luce, don't know if that helps
watson,smith,(cambridge)cadle,(gloucester)hutton,utton, phenix,(norfolk)tarleton,paterson,sommerville,stephenson ( lanarkshire) ,walker, lewis, mordecai,sparks,(glamorgan),bolitho. (cornwall)

Offline cannyfindit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 08:19 BST (UK) »
Old post but yes, I'm still here :)   I didnt expect many replies anyway.
I havent thought of checking Stranraer records, I suppose only because William's birthplace was actually stated as Glenluce on an 1871 Glasgow census. Its always possible that he might have been registered somewhere else, but considered himself to be from Glenluce.
I found a village website for Glenluce, unfortunately that didnt help an awful lot because I need actual records online to look at. Anyway, I can give Stranraer a bash at Scotlandspeople.
Mathie (Renfrewshire)
Lawson (Cumbria, beyond)
Green (Bradford on Avon)

Offline lizcarrey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 July 13 14:49 BST (UK) »
What was the occupation of William Carrey, born 1804, and do you know his parents' names?

I have a record of a William Carrey, who was co-owner of a ship (Peggy of Irvine) built in Dumbarton in 1790 but later registered in Belfast. He was Master of the ship in 1796 and Anthony Carrey was a co-owner. It is possible that a son of the same name was born in Scotland in 1804, but the ship and the other owner remained in Carrickfergus. 

One descendant of the Carrickfergus family proposed that William was born before 1788: if we say 1770-75, he would be old enough to be a master mariner in 1796 and to have a son in 1804 and also to be the same man mentioned as a farmer in the Tithe Applotment book for Carrickfergus in 1827. But there is no evidence of any descendants in Carrickfergus - perhaps they went back to Clydeside?

Offline cannyfindit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 July 13 17:15 BST (UK) »
Dear Liz
Wow I'd forgotten I'd made this post; I haven't done anything on this surname for a long time now. However....since my original post, I have now established that William was baptised on 11th April 1815, at Barnsallie, Old Luce; and that his parents were William Carrey (but spelt Keiry in very old records) and Jean (nee McKenna, but also called Elizabeth McKinnon in later records, just to confuse matters). They married in 1799.
William junior's occupation was a shoemaker; so unfortunately I doubt he was wealthy enough to be co-owner of a boat, more's the pity. :(  He had older siblings, Elizabeth, John and Agnes, and (possibly) Helen.
This all means that I'm back to another William, birthplace unknown and birthyear guessed at around 1775 or so. The earliest information I can find is that he was a labourer at Challochman, a farm in or near Old Luce. These details all courtesy of a kind soul from the Wigtownshire Pages website.
The previous poster here suggested I checked the Stranraer records, which I did, but maybe need to go to again after these past six years of slumbering. Still happy to receive suggestions, though.
Mathie (Renfrewshire)
Lawson (Cumbria, beyond)
Green (Bradford on Avon)

Offline lizcarrey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 July 13 17:25 BST (UK) »