Author Topic: Tuffrey...Weston on the Green.  (Read 7755 times)

Offline darz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tuffrey...Weston on the Green.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 August 11 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone is connected to a John Tuffrey Approx 1801-1882 who married Lucretia Freeman in 1847. Between the 2 of them there are around 10-12 children (that I know of). It appears to be a bit of a puzzle with the 2 of them...From what I have found so far, there is only 1 child born after they were married - Anne F Tuffrey 1849 and the others were all born prior to the marriage. in the 1841 census I think Lucretia is listed as John's housekeeper, in 1851 she is his wife and the Freeman children were listed as step-children. I can't seem to find any records of the biological father for Lucretia's children and Im not sure if ' Freeman' is her maiden name or if she was married beforehand....as you can see I am more than a little puzzled by this couple and would love it if someone could shed some light on the situation.

Fingers crossed there is someone out there that knows of this family

Darz

Offline Ansellmw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 September 16 13:19 BST (UK) »
Darz,
I do know of this family but I suppose I'm only replying in the sense of a problem shared is a problem halfed - or should that be doubled!
Lucretia Freeman born 1808 in Weston on the Green is my 3x great grandmother via her daughter Sophia Freeman (born 1839).
I understand Lucretia's parents were John Freeman and Ann (I recall viewing some typed out details of the WOTG parish registers at the Oxfordshire CRO a good number of years ago, so there could be mistakes - I've not seen the original parish registers) - but I've not found solid marriage details for John and Ann nor who was the father of Sophia Freeman.
Have you made any progress since your original posting?
I think that one of my relations thinks that John Tuffrey was the father of all the children but that isn't borne out by their census description as step-children.
Sorry I can't be of more help!
Mike

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 September 16 16:11 BST (UK) »
From the OFHS transcriptions of the Weston on the Green P/Rs

Marriage-04 January 1847
John TUFFERY 45 wid lab s Charles lab
Lucretia FREEMAN 37 sp d John lab