Author Topic: A Grocers Gaff  (Read 3373 times)

Offline titania

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
A Grocers Gaff
« on: Thursday 20 April 06 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi all
hoping some one with local knowledge of Milton formerly Berks near Abingdon may pick up on this looking for a House /shop, home to a grocer surname Lampet I have them in 1851 in Milton piece # 1688 page 10 schedule entry # 41
What I need to know is if this place is still standing or at least if the 2 entries either side are still standing ie Church farm and or Hospital farm This place has a significant roll in my personal family history and would dearly love a pic which I hope to be able to take myself if I can locate it. Any clues gratefully received

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: A Grocers Gaff
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 July 06 01:27 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I don't know Milton well enough to answer your query but I see from maps that Church Farm and Hospital Farm were/are quite a distance apart - by the 1870s there were several dwellings between them.

The 1861 census has a more hopeful look - Rachel is a grocer and is between a blacksmith and a fundholder all with the address 'Causeway'. I suspect that Causeway became High St.  1871 has her in the High St but retired so maybe not in the shop anymore but the fundholder 'next door' is the same chap so she is likely to be in the same place.

The fundholder / farmer / landowner next door is John Mallam - his place is clearly shown on the enclosure map of 1809 on the east side of the High St a few yards north of the junction with Pembroke Lane (or Buttocks Lane as it was in 1809).

From the excellent satellite image on google maps I can see that Mallam's place hasn't changed that much - though the swimming pool is probably not C19th.
http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&t=h&om=1&ll=51.625442,-1.300721&spn=0.000648,0.001786

That part of Milton today seems remarkably similar to Milton in 1809 - but many of the buildings may have been replaced etc. - the satellite view is not a good way to judge the age of a house.

Incidently is seems that Church Farm and Hospital Farm have also survived - though Hospital Farm (St Thomas' Hospital) seems to have fewer buildings. I have no idea if they still have these names.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk