Author Topic: Pentland - Uprichard, Gibson, Morrow. Ballyworkan.  (Read 57963 times)

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Uncle Fred - England 1908 - POW 1914-19 - Bilbao
    • View Profile
Re: Pentland - Uprichard, Gibson, Morrow. Ballyworkan.
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 26 April 09 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Thanks for that. All useful and valuable stuff.

Have you looked at the Pentland Wills on PRONI?

There are several there including Roberts, Johns and Williams. The index (FREE) shows some data of executors etc. Full copies can be ordered.

I can link several to my records!

Tullylish Churchyard (on both sides of the road!) has no stones for pentlands but when I was there in 2003 by chance I met the gent in charge and he showed me two old overlay plans of the cemeteries which showed who was where including old gaves since reused. I am sure most churchyards will have the same?

Colin P Y
YARWOOD in Warks/Ches but also London, Northants, Lincs, USA and Australia.
PENTLAND in Warks/Staffs/Yorks, Arm IRL: Chch NZ post 1884 and SCO pre 1800.
COLLINS aka COLLERIN , GALLAGHER & COX [RC] Highgate, Small Heath, Birmingham 1840-, Mayo IRL bef.
FRYER/FRIAR Lurgan Armagh, Edin & Glasgow SCO
BROOKES WH & WFP RA WW1 & 2
NEWSON & 'WATTS' Felixstow SFK, NZ,
HORTON, Surgn  Warwicks. FORTESCUE
PARKER, Charles, 1800-1853 Milit.Ornament Manuf. Aston, Gravelly Hill, Birmingham,

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 26 April 09 12:13 BST (UK) »
However, in the "Mullavilly" Church cemetery there is a William J. Pentland who died 5 May 1863 - if this is a possible connection let me know.

There's an index and transcription of headstones at Mullavilly at http://www.bob-sinton.com/index.php - including some Pentlands. (The site generally relates to the Sinton family, but for Mullavilly there are records for many more (all?) names.) However, this transcript gives the William J Pentland inscription as 1963. My connection with Pentlands is a bit distant (via the Gibsons) so I can't really comment on which date is more likely to be correct.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gardenboffin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 April 09 12:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your input RedRover.  Unfortunately for me, no relatives on this site seem to be part of our Pentland Family.  .. Other than Colin Y. have any info on
William John PENTLAND   b.12 Sept. 1854, Drumaran.  Parents Davis PENTLAND and Elizabeth KITCHEN.    There is a William John PENTLAND listed on the Quacker site wherever that is, as I have not been able to find it so cannot  have this confirmed.
Arthurk, your post has come through while I was typing.  Is it possible the burial of William J. PENTLAND 1863  at 'Mullavilly' church cemetery is the one we are looking for died at the age of 11. ??  Have  you any other details.?

Offline gardenboffin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 26 April 09 13:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that site , arthur. I had a look and think that that particular William John PENTLAND is indeed a 1963 burial as Jessie underneath is 1970's.  I don't think it stated how old they were.

quote author=arthurk link=topic=150187.msg2509647#msg2509647 date=1240744388]
However, in the "Mullavilly" Church cemetery there is a William J. Pentland who died 5 May 1863 - if this is a possible connection let me know.

There's an index and transcription of headstones at Mullavilly at http://www.bob-sinton.com/index.php - including some Pentlands. (The site generally relates to the Sinton family, but for Mullavilly there are records for many more (all?) names.) However, this transcript gives the William J Pentland inscription as 1963. My connection with Pentlands is a bit distant (via the Gibsons) so I can't really comment on which date is more likely to be correct.

Arthur

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 26 April 09 14:18 BST (UK) »
Arthurk, your post has come through while I was typing.  Is it possible the burial of William J. PENTLAND 1863  at 'Mullavilly' church cemetery is the one we are looking for died at the age of 11. ??  Have  you any other details.?

Sorry, no. Bob Sinton, the owner of the site I quoted, contacted me a couple of years or so ago to tell me about the transcripts of some Harcourt memorials in Mullavilly (my ancestors :)), but I haven't had any other contact with him and don't know any more about the data on the site.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gardenboffin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 26 April 09 15:33 BST (UK) »
OK Arthur, I'll just keep on looking! 

Audrey

Offline RedRover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 26 April 09 15:51 BST (UK) »
Here is a photo of the long view of two Pentland plots in Mullavilly with the marker of which I was speaking for William of 1863 and for Jessie of 1973 in the background (the light gray site).  The darker site, in the foreground is also Pentland of Ballyworkan, but with more recent dates (John S. died 1999 age 66; Annie died 1950 age 46; and Thomas Henry died 1983 age 91).  Also in between there is a floral urn for Frederick in memoriam, but no dates.

In another site there is a marker for Ann Pentland died 1876 age 45 and George her husband who died at Ballylisk in 1873 at 64 and son W.H. who died in in action in 1916 at age 45 (also names of Whiteside & Redpath).

There may be more markers at Mullavilly, but my sister lost her photo disk !!
Pentland (Ballyworkan & Scotland), Prentice (Co Armagh), Uprichard (Portadown), Morrow (Ballyworkan), Macleod (Dumfries, Scotland) & Prince Edward Island), Graeme (Belfast&Scotland), Valentine (Dublin)

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Uncle Fred - England 1908 - POW 1914-19 - Bilbao
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 26 April 09 17:11 BST (UK) »
Yes, thanks for that.

I know that there were Pentland Friends at Moyallan too.

My Gt Gt Grandfather Robert Pentland of Hoope Hill, Lurgan married an Ester or Hester who it seems was either a Sifton/Sefton or Sinton at Tullylish in 1855? I suspect his first wife, Anne Elizabeth, may have passd away at some time after their two children Joseph George (1851) and Isabella Jane (1853) were born. Any info?

Anne Elizabeth is herself a mystery - the marriage record shows she was Anne Beatty/ie nee McLelland which LDS has taken as gospel without proving who she was!

Colin
YARWOOD in Warks/Ches but also London, Northants, Lincs, USA and Australia.
PENTLAND in Warks/Staffs/Yorks, Arm IRL: Chch NZ post 1884 and SCO pre 1800.
COLLINS aka COLLERIN , GALLAGHER & COX [RC] Highgate, Small Heath, Birmingham 1840-, Mayo IRL bef.
FRYER/FRIAR Lurgan Armagh, Edin & Glasgow SCO
BROOKES WH & WFP RA WW1 & 2
NEWSON & 'WATTS' Felixstow SFK, NZ,
HORTON, Surgn  Warwicks. FORTESCUE
PARKER, Charles, 1800-1853 Milit.Ornament Manuf. Aston, Gravelly Hill, Birmingham,

Offline gardenboffin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 27 April 09 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hello, Red Rover,  Yes a printing error somewhere?
The grave stone definitely says  1863.    Have not been able to find  his death yet on any of the sites.  Is there a place I can write to for details of this William J. Pentland. The cemetary management? or similar?
Audrey.