Author Topic: Pentland - Uprichard, Gibson, Morrow. Ballyworkan.  (Read 58261 times)

Offline worldlywanderer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pentland - Uprichard, Gibson, Morrow. Ballyworkan.
« Reply #81 on: Thursday 06 June 13 08:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Roy, it's true; everything comes to he who waits - even answers on Irish genealogy.

Offline BoerToPentland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Sunday 16 June 13 01:16 BST (UK) »
Since my last port it has come to light that Elizabeth Ewings has two possible immigration sources:
1. Eliza Ewing aged 15 arrived 11th January 1850 at Geelong on the ship "Diadem";
2. Elizabeth Ewens aged 18, arrived 20 September 1853 on the ship "Australia".  Nationality Irish and Scottish.
Her Granddaughter Lillian wrote an Autobiography, which states “It was my grandmother who brought us into the world. No doctor attended the birth of the Pentlands. My grandmother was a fully trained nurse, born at Gilmerton, a village near Swanston at the foot of the Pentland Hills, Scotland.”
These facts have now cleared up a confusion.
Eliza was widely known as the Midwife of the family and if the second immigration record is the right one, she may have lived in Ireland (as a house maid), but she was born in Scotland!  Not quite the Pentland link between Ireland and Scotland, but a key piece of information about our line.

Offline worldlywanderer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Sunday 16 June 13 08:23 BST (UK) »
I'm not clear; Eliza Ewings gave her origin as Irish and Scottish? If that is correct does it not imply her parents were that, one from Ireland and the other Scotland. Often the surname would give a clue but Ewings is just as likely to be found in Ireland as Scotland. As you say, however, nothing to do with the link between the Irish and Scottish Pentlands which puts to bed yet another oft repeated confusion all caused by a lassie writing abut her granny and people not reading properly what she wrote?

Offline BoerToPentland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Sunday 16 June 13 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Worldly Wanderer,
It may very well imply that she had one Scottish parent and one Irish parent, I had not considered this.  However Lillian clearly stated that her Grandmother was born in Gilberton.  She was also more than a mere lassie writing about her granny.  Lillian was very well educated and an artist of some renown back then.  She also ended up living in Scotland and eventually England in her last years.

Offline Roxanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Sunday 25 March 18 21:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your input RedRover.  Unfortunately for me, no relatives on this site seem to be part of our Pentland Family.  .. Other than Colin Y. have any info on
William John PENTLAND   b.12 Sept. 1854, Drumaran.  Parents Davis PENTLAND and Elizabeth KITCHEN.    There is a William John PENTLAND listed on the Quacker site wherever that is, as I have not been able to find it so cannot  have this confirmed.
Arthurk, your post has come through while I was typing.  Is it possible the burial of William J. PENTLAND 1863  at 'Mullavilly' church cemetery is the one we are looking for died at the age of 11. ??  Have  you any other details.?
I have a note that William John Pentland, b. 12 sep 1856, Drumaran, Tullylish, married Anne Jane Hill.  They had a son, Richard Pentland, b. 1893, who died in 1936,  and is buried in Knocknamuckley. (some of this line came from the Pentland Boer family tree on ancestry.

Offline Roxanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Sunday 25 March 18 22:06 BST (UK) »

See this  record, 

“Private William Henry Pentland (Married Mary Anne Whitten, (see Carrowbrack 1911 Irish census) 17982, 9th Bn., Royal Irish Fusiliers, who was killed in action during an attack on the village of Beaumont-Hamel on 1 July 1916, aged 45, on the opening day of the Battle of the Somme.  He was born in Aldershot, Hants, the son of George and Ann Pentland, Ballylisk, and he lived at Mary Street, Portadown.
He is buried in Ancre British Cemetery, Beaumont-Hamel, the Somme, and his name is remembered on a headstone in Mullavilly Parish Churchyard, and on the Portadown War Memorial and on the Tandragee War Memorial.”

Rather interesdingly if you search the 1881 census for England you will find more than one Irish born Pentland who had military connections.

If there was only one W. H. Pentland does that mean the other marker mentioned above is the grave of George Pentland and Ann O'Hara?
[/quote]

On Find My Past, there is a record for George Pentland, son of George, who married Anne Miller on 18 nov 1852 at Mullavilly COI, Kilmore, Armagh, fhl film 101343.

Offline Plonkish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 20:53 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome Planter. It's very useful to see the source of material and particularly with Irish references, invaluable to know about aural sources. While they may suffer from lapses of memory it has been my experience that most contain at least a grain of truth.

So far as the Gilmerton story is concerned I have researched the Midlothian Pentland families extensively and there is no recorded baptism for a Richard Pentland. There is one Richard Pentland in the 1891/1901 censuses, born in Ireland around 1866 with no connections yet discovered and one further reference, so far uncorroborated, of a Richard Pentland descended from Joseph Pentland, a Scot who married Isabella Fulton White. His father, also Joseph  was the son of  William Pentleton and Elizabeth Mains both from Ireland according to the 1861 census although when Joseph's birth was registered in 1857 his father had recorded the family name as Pentland.

any information about the parentage of this couple would be much appreciated.

So far I have not managed to find Joseph and Elizabeth Mains in Ireland.

Hello worldly wanderer

I'm having the same problem. I can find information on the Pentlands in Scotland, but not Ireland.

The Joseph who married Isabella Fulton, was my GG Uncle (b. 10th June 1891 Motherwell) his brother William John Pentland (b. 21st Jan 1885 Motherwell) is my GG grandfather.

Their father is Joseph Pentland (b. 15th January 1857 Bothwell) who married Christina Wilson Gillespie (b. 20th October 1859 Old Monkland). Joseph's father is William John Pentland (b. around 1833) who is married to Elizabeth Mains.

William and Elizabeth's marriage seems to have taken place in either August 1855 (as on their son William's birth certificate) or in 1844 (as on their daughter Elizabeth's birth certificate) but they both say County Armagh. All concerned seemed to be illiterate as noted by 'their mark' so I do wonder if the name is spelt in a different way on the marriage certificate as a reason why I can't find it.

All I know of William's parents is that his father is listed as Ralph Pentland, cab driver and Mary McGowan. This is from information on William's death certificate (I made a thread on this subject recently). But, as was pointed out to me, the death was registered by William's son Joseph and the information is probably only as good as Joseph's memory! It is possible that Joseph never even met his grandparents as I have no evidence that they left Ireland or that he left Scotland. I would like to think that the information is correct, but the name Ralph comes out of the blue (I'm afraid my family weren't very inventive when it came to names - it makes it difficult to write about them when they all have the same names!)

I have found nothing at all in my online searches in County Armargh, but I haven't been looking long.

I have done quite a bit of research on these Pentlands (and Rankins, Gillespies, Henrys) in the Motherwell and Hamilton areas if anyone else has a connection  :)
Scotland: Pentland, Rankin, Fisher, Henry, Craig, Sutherland, Flemming, Liddell, Ward, Gillespie
England: Lough, Oakes, Levitt, Hester, Lyne, Bellamy, Lord, York, Horn
Ireland: Pentland, Main, McGowan

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 14:28 GMT (UK) »
It's either a rather tenuous connection or just coincidence, and it may not get you anywhere, but my ancestor William Kennedy was born in Cambusnethan and working as a gardener at Allanton, not far from Motherwell, in 1861.

The next record I have of him is as a witness to the marriage of Martha Harcourt and John Abercrombie in 1874 in St Mark's (C of I) Tandragee, Co. Armagh. Two years later he married Martha's sister Eliza Jane Harcourt in the same church; he was then working as a gardener at Tandragee Castle.

The connection? Martha and Eliza Jane's family were from Ballyworkan, as were the Pentlands - in fact their aunt Martha Gibson married Thomas Pentland. I've often wondered why William Kennedy went to Ireland: is it possible that one of the Ballyworkan Pentlands was in Scotland and inspired him to move there?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Plonkish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 18:43 GMT (UK) »
It's possible.

I thought that once I had discovered the County Armagh connection, I thought it would be easy to find Ralph Pentland and Elizabeth Mains (I had searched for them in Scotland at first) but I haven't found anything. I thought it would then be a case of tracing them back until I found when the family had arrived in Ireland from Scotland (as I'm sure that is where they originated for all the same reasons as discussed in this thread). Call me naïve or an optimist  ;D

As an aside and with reference to the Gibson/Pentland connection, I found out that my granny Agnes Pentland (G grandmother) lived next door to a family called Gibson (in Motherwell) for a couple of decades.
Scotland: Pentland, Rankin, Fisher, Henry, Craig, Sutherland, Flemming, Liddell, Ward, Gillespie
England: Lough, Oakes, Levitt, Hester, Lyne, Bellamy, Lord, York, Horn
Ireland: Pentland, Main, McGowan