Author Topic: Pentland - Uprichard, Gibson, Morrow. Ballyworkan.  (Read 57958 times)

Offline kalasira

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pentland - Uprichard, Gibson, Morrow. Ballyworkan.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 November 08 13:53 GMT (UK) »
hi,
i was just going trough different Irish site,s cos i am trying to my mum,s tree,and have hit a brick wall,i have been told ireland would be hard but not this hard,any way,my mum used to have a very good friend friend called Jennie pentland and she lived in Bangor,and if i am right she lived on everton street of crumlin road i have some letters from her that mention her family i will try and find them and let you no,thought you might be interested in this,hope to hear from you.
allthe best Jacquie
iles,from kingswood bristol,gloucershire ,fudge,hawkins,crotty,powell,yates.,also kingswood,bristol.
fogg,from manchester,and hossock.from manchester.
dinsmore,devlin,larkin,patterson,McArthur,mahood,from belfast,antrim,.

Offline Roxanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 23 November 08 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacquie,

Thank you for writing.  I'd be very interested in the letters and whether Jennie Pentland referred to her family.

Look forward to hearing from you again.
Best,
Roxanna

Offline kalasira

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 November 08 15:24 GMT (UK) »
thanks for your message,i will look for the letters with in the next two days,if i remember rightly she was in wharf,s with my mum,i have a photo of some of them having a drink but i don,t no if one of them is Jeannie, but i will look and get back to you i no she lived in Bangor talk to you soon.

all the best,Jacquie,
p,s. my mum,s name was Mary Jane dinsmore but ever one called her may,
iles,from kingswood bristol,gloucershire ,fudge,hawkins,crotty,powell,yates.,also kingswood,bristol.

Offline kalasira

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 November 08 21:21 GMT (UK) »
hi roxanna
asked some one if they could find the parent.s of some of my ancestor,s and they came back with the names john larkin married a Sarah morrow and i noticed you had also put morrow but i have only just found out i don,t know anything about here and have never heard of bally workan any way thought i would send it to any way,all the best Jacquie

Offline gardenboffin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 February 09 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Re; Armagh Pentlands -  I have posted info of our Pentland family on a different page.  I felt that your Pentland family has, at this stage, no connection with our family.  But certainly may have in Scotland. 
We have info on a Gilmerton Pentland Family which may/maynot be our original Scottish family.
I have not been able to find the  link to the Portadown/Tandragee/Dumcree  Pentland family. 
Our GGrandfather William Pentland listed his parents on his wedding certificate as - Richard Pentland and Mary Ann Davis married in the Church of England and Ireland.  We have not been able to find an actual record in the archives of this marriage ( Our William married in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia 1854)
Richard and his father John are listed in the Griffiths Tythe book living in Dumcree.
The two children of Richard and Mary were baptised in Drumcree, but their births have not been found anywhere yet.  - William and Davis written as Pendelton in  the register. We do not know if there were other children. 

Has been a while since I posted to any board. Seeking to share information on Armagh born Pentland families, particularly around Ballyworkan. I have photos of related and maybe-related family burials stones in Drumcree, Seagoe, and Mullavilly.

Also, I have alpha index of names for Pentland (and similar) for Scotland, Mid-Lothian Christening, Births and Marriages 1600-1800's.

Do you have this family listed on your alpha index Red Rover?

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Uncle Fred - England 1908 - POW 1914-19 - Bilbao
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have been working for some time on the Pentlands, especially the family in Lurgan c 1850 (my twig of the family) and the Pentlands of Gilford (I suspect a main branch of the root from Scotland)  and I know there are connections between the two.

The Uprichards were also from Townlands near Gilford - mostly in the Parish of Tullylish.

The Uprichard/Pentland connection that I know of is:

Thomas PENTLAND (1830 - 21 Aug 1891)
  b. 1830, Ballyworkan (Portadown) Armagh
  d. 21 Aug 1891, Ballyworkan (Portadown) Armagh
|   Jeremiah PENTLAND (1863 - )
|     b. 1863, Ballyworkan (Portadown) Northern Ireland
|   & Mrs  PENTLAND
|   |   Robert Henry PENTLAND (1902 - )
|   |     b. 1902, Ballyworkan (Portadown) Northern Ireland
|   |     d. Calgary Canada
|   |   & Lillian UPRICHARD
|   |     b. Ballyworkan, Portadown, Armagh
|   |     d. Calgary, Canada
|   |   |   son
|   |   James PENTLAND (1893 - )
|   |     b. 1893, Ballyworkan Portadown Armagh
|   |     d. Canada
|   |   Hugh PENTLAND (abt 1900 - )
|   |     b. abt 1900, Ballyworkan (Portadown)

I'd be delighted in anyone can offer me any refinements or additions to these folk?

Moderator's Note: Edited to remove details of possible living person in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
YARWOOD in Warks/Ches but also London, Northants, Lincs, USA and Australia.
PENTLAND in Warks/Staffs/Yorks, Arm IRL: Chch NZ post 1884 and SCO pre 1800.
COLLINS aka COLLERIN , GALLAGHER & COX [RC] Highgate, Small Heath, Birmingham 1840-, Mayo IRL bef.
FRYER/FRIAR Lurgan Armagh, Edin & Glasgow SCO
BROOKES WH & WFP RA WW1 & 2
NEWSON & 'WATTS' Felixstow SFK, NZ,
HORTON, Surgn  Warwicks. FORTESCUE
PARKER, Charles, 1800-1853 Milit.Ornament Manuf. Aston, Gravelly Hill, Birmingham,

Offline Roxanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,

This is the info I found on the family.  If you'd like I could send you more details and you could check out the info.

Roxanna

1     John Pentland   b: in farmer  d: in Balllyworkan, Portadown, Armagh, N. Ireland   

.......   2     Thomas Pentland   b: 1830 in Ballyworkan, Portadown, Armagh, N. Ireland   d: 21 Aug 1891 in Balllyworkan, Portadown, Armagh, N. Ireland                  
...........      +Martha Gibson   b: 1832 in Ballyworkan, Portadown, Armagh, Ireland  m: 06 Feb 1851 in Portadown Church of Ireland, Lurgan, Armagh, N. Ireland   Father: Jeremiah Gibson      
................   3     James (Jim) Pentland                        
................   3     Jane Pentland      

................   3     Maggie Ann Pentland b: 1854 in Ballyworkan, Armagh, N. Ireland   married Robert Kinney    d: 1887               

................   3     John Pentland   b: 1858 in Ballyworken, Portadown, Armagh, N. Ireland   d: in Gortin married   +Susan Gardiner      ...............      
         *2nd Wife of John Pentland:   Allie Dermot   

................   3     Elizabeth Mary Pentland   b: 1860 in Ballyworkan, Armagh, N. Ireland      
....................      +Unknown Murphy      

................   3     Jeremiah Pentland   b: 1863 in Ballyworkan, Portadown, N. Ireland   d: in Ballyworken, Portadown, Armagh, N. Ireland                  
....................      +Dinah Morrow   b: 1864 in Stranolar, County Donegal, Ireland   d: 1940 in Ballyworken, Portadown, Armagh, N. Ireland m: 03 Sep 1889 in Portadown First Presbyterian Church,  Seagoe, Lurgan, Armagh, N. Ireland   Father: Isaac Morrow   Mother: Agnes Rafferty   

................   3     Martha Agnes Pentland   b: 12 Jun 1867 in Portadown, Armagh,  N. Ireland                     
....................      +Ralph Topley   b: Abt. 1865 in Portadown, Armagh, N. Ireland                     

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Uncle Fred - England 1908 - POW 1914-19 - Bilbao
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Roxanna

Long time no hear!

Nice work! Thanks for that I'll input it at the weekend.

Colin
YARWOOD in Warks/Ches but also London, Northants, Lincs, USA and Australia.
PENTLAND in Warks/Staffs/Yorks, Arm IRL: Chch NZ post 1884 and SCO pre 1800.
COLLINS aka COLLERIN , GALLAGHER & COX [RC] Highgate, Small Heath, Birmingham 1840-, Mayo IRL bef.
FRYER/FRIAR Lurgan Armagh, Edin & Glasgow SCO
BROOKES WH & WFP RA WW1 & 2
NEWSON & 'WATTS' Felixstow SFK, NZ,
HORTON, Surgn  Warwicks. FORTESCUE
PARKER, Charles, 1800-1853 Milit.Ornament Manuf. Aston, Gravelly Hill, Birmingham,

Offline RedRover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 26 April 09 00:12 BST (UK) »
Hello all and to Gardenboffin:  Of the Scottish Pentland surname, I can locate no one name Richard, but there are many by the name William.  However, in the "Mullavilly" Church cemetery there is a William J. Pentland who died 5 May 1863 - if this is a possible connection let me know.    When I visited "Drumcree" Church in 2002, the caretaker said some of the graves held multiple bodies of the same family or another family would take over a grave that was not "sponsored".  Headstones erode or crumble entirely only to be taken away as was the case for one of my/our Pentland ancestors.  I cannot find more records other than Thomas Pentland's marriage certificate of 1851 (to Martha Gibson) stating his father was John Pentland.  In the 1737 Tithes List there are no protestant householders in the Drumcree parish of 1740 named Pentland or it's derivatives.
Pentland (Ballyworkan & Scotland), Prentice (Co Armagh), Uprichard (Portadown), Morrow (Ballyworkan), Macleod (Dumfries, Scotland) & Prince Edward Island), Graeme (Belfast&Scotland), Valentine (Dublin)