Author Topic: Perry/Pery/Pury of Warminster  (Read 3048 times)

Offline Tarn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Perry/Pery/Pury of Warminster
« on: Thursday 14 October 04 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, can anyone shed any light upon this branch of my family ?
I know that John Perry died at Warminster in 1555, that he had
children, and that they inherited property somewhere in Somerset.
I admit that this is very little to go on, but it's all I have.
Regards,
Tarn.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Perry/Pery/Pury of Warminster
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 October 04 14:58 BST (UK) »
A search of the pro wills provided
Will of John Perry, Gentleman of Warminster , Wiltshire
Date 11 December 1729

and

Will of John Piry, Yeoman of Warminster, Wiltshire
Date 22 February 1555

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

The latter is the year you mentioned. It costs 3.50 to see the will which would presumably name his beneficiaries. Whether he is your John??

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tarn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 November 04 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Trish, The 1555 one is correct, I have that will, however, as they do not include an inventory, there is not that much detail. It says
that he left lands in Somerset to his sons- but what land, and where ?
I also tried to check the Feet of Fines in manorial records, they should show transfer of land ownership, but no luck there either.
Regards,
Tarn.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 November 04 02:16 GMT (UK) »
You have obviously well checked it all - shame about the missing inventory - When you have time could you explain to me  what is the Feet of Fines- I find so many of the British terms amazing - it seems we have a limited vocab here in Oz.

Trish

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 November 04 12:43 GMT (UK) »
I hope Tarn won't mind my posting this explanation of Feet of Fines.  Taken from the Dictionary of Genealogy:

Feet of Fines The word ‘fine’ is derived from the Latin finis, meaning ‘an end’. It came to mean a judgement or Final Concord regarding a title to land after a form of legal  action, nearly always collusive, and intended to provide a record of title, often after a purchase. It was written out three times in the same words on the same side of a single sheet of parchment, two copies being written vertically and back-to-back, and the third along the foot of the sheet. The word ‘Cyrographum’ was sometimes written in large letters above the foot copy and between the other two, and the three copies were then cut apart along wavy lines and through the cyrograph. The back-to-back parts were given  to the two parties, and the Foot was filed among the rolls of the Court of Common Pleas, now at the Public Record Office, Chancery Lane, London, under references CP 25 and 27.  This procedure made forgery virtually impossible, and it was only abolished as late as 1834.

Until 1733 (except under the Commonwealth) the records were in Latin.  The rolls, from 1182 to 1638, are arranged under counties. The date shown is that on which the writ summoning the parties to appear was due to be returned  into court, and so gives only an approximate idea of the date of the actual agreement. The person whose right (jus) is admitted is the purchaser or recognised  title-holder. A fine often contains a ‘clause of warranty’, in which certain persons, often relatives of the vendor or person of whom the land is held,  warrant against him, i.e. pledge themselves to stand by the agreement if the title to the holding is questioned later. Other persons may be named as  co-deforciants, but this is merely to bar any right they might claim in the future. Contemporary calendars are available for the period 1509—1798.  For several counties the Feet of Fines have been printed. In many cases there also exist Notes of Fines, an additional record, and Concords, which are duplicates of the Fines.

It does take some working out!

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 November 04 21:59 GMT (UK) »
I hope Tarn won't mind my posting this explanation of Feet of Fines.  
Hi Nell

One of the best things about this site - no one seems to get affronted about who says what (different to some other forums!). Many thanks for the information - I had received a pm from another member with a web link. Some of the past  events/ procedures make such interesting reading - I never imagined when I started the family search where it would lead!

It seems we all need a smattering of latin to follow our roots - I have recently been looking at a Yorkshire parish film and it's 80% latin. Fortunately I have a husband who can decipher it for me as I have never (until recently) studied the language.

Trish