Author Topic: 1.AMORs of Mill Lane, Bromham and 2.WHEELERs of Upper Westwood  (Read 5334 times)

Offline allycat

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The Cantwell Knights of Strongbow 1170
    • View Profile
1.AMORs of Mill Lane, Bromham and 2.WHEELERs of Upper Westwood
« on: Saturday 22 April 06 05:00 BST (UK) »
I'm an Australian and I'm researching my gg grandparents Willam AMOR and Ann Priscilla AMOR nee WHEELER.

Amor Family

William AMOR born 1837 Bromham, Wiltshire England was the seventh child born to parents George AMOR b1805 and Rebecka ABRAMS.  The couple had 6 other children: 1.Mary Amor 1823, 2.John Amor 1824, 3.Carraline Amor 1827, 4.Ena Amor 1829, 5.Ann Amor 1834, and 7.Elizabeth Amor 1841.

Wheeler Family

William AMOR married 13 Oct 1856 Chittoe, Wiltshire, England to Ann Priscilla WHEELER born 1835 Arnecliffe, Westbury, West Wiltshire England to parents John WHEELER of Bremhill and Ruth unknown.  The couple had 3 other children: 1.Frederick Wheeler 1833, 3.Jane Wheeler 1835, 4.John Wheeler 1840.

In Australia

It is purported that William & Ann AMOR came to Australia when they were newly married via ship the 'Beejapore' from Yorkshire C1857.  Interestingly it took 9 months at sea to travel to Australia.

William & Ann AMOR had 11 children in 18 years - 1.Elizabeth Jane, 2.George, 3.Ellen, 4.William, 5.Annie, 6.Frederick William, 7.Rebecca, 8.Martha, 9.George, 10.Robert and 11.Henry (my g gfthr) all born in the State of Victoria, Australia.

Any connections out there?  Allycat, Queensland, Australia.
Abrams, Amor, Attwood, Bancroft, Bragier, Brennan, Bryant, Buchan, Cantwell, Cruse, Commins, Cullum, Debus, Denner, Dinner, DuCroix, Flanze, Gilkes, Greaves, Guthiel, Hansford, Hayes, Hokaanga, Homewood, Hoy, Inns, Jahn, King, Knee, Marriner, May, McCarron, McCavel, McCrohon, McFarlane, Merry, Milne, Montgomery, Most, Mott, Orth, Parker, Pine, Roads, Rueping, Sear, Siegner, Stanaway, Voss, Weber, Wheeler, Whitehall, Woodcock

Offline Ju

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Surnames interests WHEELER & AMOR & FORTUNE 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 April 06 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hi!

The International Genealogical Index (www.familysearch.org) has an entry for the marraige of William Amor to Anne Priscilla Wheeler at Chittoe on 13th Oct 1856.

There is also an entry for the christening of William Amer on 9th July 1837 at Bromham, Wiltshire. It shows that he was the son of George & Rebecca Amer.

If you do a search entering the father's name as George Amor and the mother's name as Rebecca it lists possible siblings for William, the last 2 (Frederick and Ellen) being christened at Chittoe.

However,  I think there may have been 2 couples with the same name having children in Bromham in the 1st half of the 19th century - the IGI has an extracted entry for the marriage of George Amor to Rebecca Knee at Bromham on 24th Dec 1804, but Ellen was christened in 1851, so I'm not sure if this Rebecca is William's mother.....

Well, I hope that makes sense and is of some help!

Best wishes,

Ju
Hudman - Glos/Worcs
Sparey - Wilts
Cummins - Wilts
Attwood - Glos (Ashchurch area)
Kent - Berks/Warks/Ceylon
Spain - Devon/Dorset/Derbys
Scown - Cornwall/Devon/East Riding of Yorks
Major - East Riding of Yorks/Lincs
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline allycat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Surnames interests WHEELER & AMOR & FORTUNE 1800s
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 April 06 01:53 BST (UK) »
Hi!

The International Genealogical Index (www.familysearch.org) has an entry for the marraige of William Amor to Anne Priscilla Wheeler at Chittoe on 13th Oct 1856.

There is also an entry for the christening of William Amer on 9th July 1837 at Bromham, Wiltshire. It shows that he was the son of George & Rebecca Amer.

If you do a search entering the father's name as George Amor and the mother's name as Rebecca it lists possible siblings for William, the last 2 (Frederick and Ellen) being christened at Chittoe.

However,  I think there may have been 2 couples with the same name having children in Bromham in the 1st half of the 19th century - the IGI has an extracted entry for the marriage of George Amor to Rebecca Knee at Bromham on 24th Dec 1804, but Ellen was christened in 1851, so I'm not sure if this Rebecca is William's mother.....

Well, I hope that makes sense and is of some help!

Best wishes,

Ju
Rootschatters - since the recent posting of this message, I have found 6 probable siblings of my (6.)William AMOR - 1.Mary b1823, 2.John b1824, 3.Carraline b1827, 4.Ena b1829, 5.Ann b1834, and 7.Elizabeth Amor b1841 all born Bromham Wiltshire - source Census data.

Thanks Ju - will store info retrieved for a later date when I can gather more information.  But the christening date of William Amer - that is most definitely my ancestor.

And perhaps the Ellen and Frederick Amor found are my William Amor's grandchildren.

I am also supposing that the George Amor and Rebecca Knee that you found are my William Amor's grandparents.  With William's father being also a George Amor who married in 1833 to Rebecka Abrams that was found on census data recently.  And as people didn't move around much like we do nowadays and it is easier to trace ancestry.  Will know more in the future.  Well done.  Allycat.
Abrams, Amor, Attwood, Bancroft, Bragier, Brennan, Bryant, Buchan, Cantwell, Cruse, Commins, Cullum, Debus, Denner, Dinner, DuCroix, Flanze, Gilkes, Greaves, Guthiel, Hansford, Hayes, Hokaanga, Homewood, Hoy, Inns, Jahn, King, Knee, Marriner, May, McCarron, McCavel, McCrohon, McFarlane, Merry, Milne, Montgomery, Most, Mott, Orth, Parker, Pine, Roads, Rueping, Sear, Siegner, Stanaway, Voss, Weber, Wheeler, Whitehall, Woodcock

Offline Mogsmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1.AMORs of Mill Lane, Bromham and 2.WHEELERs of Upper Westwood
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi allycat,

Only just read your post, but I too have an Amor from Bromham.

Jane Amor born about 1816 who later married Jonathan Ellis (born about 1818 in Worton, Wiltshire).

I can't yet find my Jane in 1851 or 1841, but surprise, surprise Jonathan was an Ag. Lab!!

Anything ring any bells?

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 October 06 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Allycat

You probably already have the baptism information for your Wheelers in Westwood (eg Ann Priscilla Feb 8 1835) but if not, I'll post it for you

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline allycat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 October 06 00:09 BST (UK) »
Dear Angela, Hi there.  Thank you for your kind offer.  Regarding the Wheeler family, I certainly have found out lots of information since my original April 2006 posting.  {As an aside I wish I knew about the free photograph restoration before I posted the only pic I had of my ancestors William Amor and Ann Priscilla Wheeler in this new topic, because the rootschat site will only let you post the same photo once!}

If you goto the link below, you will see a journal I recently wrote at another good free genie website on my Wheeler family.  I have most of the baptism details and some births of the of the 8 children born to John Wheeler and Ruth Bancroft.

http://www.familytreecircles.com/journal_7744.html

Let me know what you think.  My AMOR journals are there too.   :)

Kind regards,
Alison,  QLD Australia.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 October 06 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison,

Just to let you know if you wish too repost your Photo on the Photo Restoration Board you will just need to rename it. Something as simple as just put the number 1 after the current title and away you go.  ;)

Good Luck. They are a very talented bunch  ;D

Cheers Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 October 06 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison

Impressive amount of data on your website  :) I'm also impressed with the fact that you quote your sources .....

Anyway, there's not a lot new I can add to it at the moment from the parish record microfiche for Westwood parish church except for a couple of John and Ruth's children.

John James Wheeler's baptism is March 12 1840  and Robert William Wheeler is April 21 1844

However, I had a look back at the 2 children who might have been twins, in case there was a note in the margin, and was very puzzled by what I found.
There were no entries for August 7th 1826 but there were 2 baptisms for John and Ruth's children (no margin notes, unfortunately) on August 27th. The date is quite clear on the fiche. Also, the 2 names are Martha and Charlotte. There is a Matilda on the line above, baptised on the same day, but it's Matilda Edwards, so I think someone must have skipped a line when transcribing the entries.  ???

Just to be on the safe side, I checked the other baptisms for John and Ruth's children while I was there and they were fine  :)

I looked to see if I could find Ruth Bancroft's baptism and couldn't. As you say, there was a suspicious Ruth at about the right time - the BTs give the parents as Nehemiah and Sarah Willsher. Couldn't find a death for Nehemiah and the parish records are missing marriages between 1788 and 1812, so no luck there.

Anything else I might be able to check for you?

Hope this helps

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire