Author Topic: BIRD/KING from Londonderry and Donegal  (Read 4176 times)

Offline jgillard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
BIRD/KING from Londonderry and Donegal
« on: Friday 15 October 04 12:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am looking for information on Samuel BIRD, b. abt 1775, his wife Letitia KING, b. abt 1773-1777 and their 5 children.  Children include: Robert, b. abt 1804, Samuel L., b. abt 1807, James, b. abt 1809, Margaret, b. abt 1811, and John, b. abt 1813.

“According to family tradition the first member of this family to be identified was a Samuel Bird who went to Ireland with the English army and fought for William of Orange, against the forces of James II at the Battle of the Boyne.

Later with many other English and Scottish immigrants of the period he settled in the county of Donegal near Londonderry.  Some one hundred and thirty years later a descendant, another Samuel, with his wife Letitia King and five children emigrated from Londonderry to New Brunswick.”

With the last 2 paragraphs in mind does anyone know what area/parish “outside of Londonderry” the author may be talking about?

Once I establish the area/parish I can then start my search for birth/marriage certificates so I can work my way back to the first Samuel BIRD who arrived in Ireland.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  :)  :)

Thanks,
Jane
STS Cooper, Lake, Clarke, Hayes, Hanley
LAN Mottershead, Cooper
LIN Newton, Leary, Chambers, Croft, Rippingale(l)
Ireland Bird, King

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: BIRD/KING from Londonderry and Donegal
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 June 05 03:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Jane,

I did a search for Bird ALL. The nearest parishes outside of Londonderry appear to be two in Co. Donegal and Coleraine http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php

Best Wishes,

Christopher

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BIRD/KING from Londonderry and Donegal
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!