Author Topic: Cyril Berry has been rescued!!!  (Read 13694 times)

Offline elsiegee1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Cyril Berry has been rescued!!!
« on: Wednesday 26 April 06 20:31 BST (UK) »
Cyril W A Berry, born 16/05/1909 in Alfreton, Belper, Derby.

I visited a car boot recently and found some papers left in the bottom of a cardboard box in the rain.

I had a quick look through and it has his work references from Ironville Boys School in Nottingham, The Jacksville Council School in Nottingham, James Oakes & Co colliery in Birmingham, his certificate from Birmingham City Police, family letters just after WWII, music exam results and what looks like a draft programme for a concert in which Cyril and what I presume to be his sister are listed.
Oh, and there is an A4 sized photograph with it too which I assume to be a family member.

All these came in the original envelope in which his police papers were sent to him, so it even includes his address in Birmingham after he left the police force.

I thought as it seemed to be the documentation of someone's life up to retirement, I should rescue it.

If anyone can prove they are connected to Cyril, or has any ideas about how I can find his descendants, please contact me via the forum.
Thanks
elsiegee  :o
Gillan (Glasgow, Ireland & Devon), Smith (Coventry & Plymouth), Rice (Coventry & Birmingham), Henchcliffe (Derby, Stoke, Coventry), Randle (Coventry)

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
Re: Cyril Berry has been rescued!!!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 April 06 20:40 BST (UK) »
Well done on the rescue, I hope you manage to find a relevant home for Cyril's papers..

I know how I would kill to get some papers like that on a member of my family needless to say I have very little...

well done again...

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 June 08 18:20 BST (UK) »
Dear Elsiegee
Have just seen your post
Maybe I can help
I am the webmaster of the village website
http://www.jacksdale.org.uk
Maybe we could give you some publicity and launch an appeal
Or maybe with a bit more information we can make a local connection

(It is Jacksdale not Jacksville)

best wishes
Mog
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline elsiegee1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 June 08 10:19 BST (UK) »
I have just dug out his papers again, and of course you are right, it is Jacksdale.

Any publicity would be helpful, I've had these for a while now and I worry that I will damage them somehow before they get to where they need to go!

By the way, his reference from Jacksdale School was written by the headmaster on 30/7/1929, but i can't make out the signature.

He also has another reference, written by either a Mr Clayton or Hayton, who lived at Clee Cottage in Jackdale (02/08/1929).

Thanks for any help :)
Elsiegee
Gillan (Glasgow, Ireland & Devon), Smith (Coventry & Plymouth), Rice (Coventry & Birmingham), Henchcliffe (Derby, Stoke, Coventry), Randle (Coventry)

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 June 08 12:40 BST (UK) »
The head teacher of Jacksdale School would either have been George Stringfellow or Alec Pringle.

Mr Alfred Clayton is on our Jacksdale  website - look in the section - Jacksdale Memorial - WW1 served.  He lived at Clee Cottage Dixie Street Jacksdale. I am in touch with one of his family who would be very interested to see the reference.

I have the minutes of the Hospital  Committee 1938 in which a Miss G Berry of Laverick Rd Jacksdale is mentioned - you are welcome to a copy.

Will send more soon
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 June 08 13:15 BST (UK) »
Dear Elsiegee

Do you know who Cyril married ? If he did marry - as he may well have married a local girl whose family are still in the village - a lot of the old families are still here.

I have just searched through all the old school photos we have to see if there is one of Cyril Berry but can not find one - but will ask a couple of other people who may have some old school photos.

We would love to see a copy of the photo of the relative that you have and could use this as the visual for the appeal.  Also the background to the photo may give us some clues, or we may even recognise the person.

Likewise a copy of the concert programme would be very interesting -as may be local. 

I think there is a PC Berry still local to the area - he used to write crime articles for one of the local papers - I will check it out.

I will pm you with my email address or you can use the contact section of the website

Carol
Staffs - HEAPY
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 June 08 13:20 BST (UK) »
Forgot to say

James Oakes & Co were a company local to Jacksdale - they owned numerous businesses - a clay works and several collieries - you will find reference to them on our website.
Staffs - HEAPY
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY

Offline elsiegee1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 June 08 18:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all this Mog, I will scan some things in and email them over to you for your perusal!
Elsie :)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 June 08 01:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

What a nice thing you are all trying to do :)

In case it helps, this looks like his death registration,

Cyril Wilfred A BERRY    Jun 1999    Dudley    B47F  87
Birth Date: 16 May 1909 

I also found this,

http://www.rootschat.com/links/03qt/

Good Luck :)
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)