Author Topic: Cyril Berry has been rescued!!!  (Read 13618 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cyril Berry has been rescued!!!
« Reply #18 on: Friday 13 February 15 02:55 GMT (UK) »
I see in the thread that cheshiremog says that Alfred Todd Berry was the father of Cyril and his sister Florence.   Alfred Todd Berry married a Bertha Hill in 1907 and 4 years later they are still childless.

The parents of Cyril and Florence were a plain Alfred Berry who married a Maria Dowman in Nottingham in the Dec.qtr.1906 (Alfred b.1881 Newark, Notts. and Maria b.1886 Metheringham, Lincolnshire.   Looks like they were the only children (both born Ironville, Derbyshire) as I cannot find any births after 1911 with mmn Dowman.  Looks like Alfred died 1962 Bingham, Notts. and Maria died 1960 Basford, Notts.

There are 2 public trees on Ancestry that show Cyril and his sister (but with no other details for them given) - the owner of one last logged in 1 month ago, the other was logged in today.

Cyril and Irene appear to have had no children but his sister married and, I think, had a daughter born 1944 and a son born 1947 (can't name as likely living).

When Alfred died in 1962 (his wife having predeceased him) he clearly left a will.   The index details state:

Alfred Berry of Hawtonville, 40 Laverick Road, Jacksdale, Notts. died 30/4/1962 at Beauvale, Loughbon Road, Orston, Notts.   Probate to Cyril Wilfred Arthur Berry, Insurance Claims Clerk and Philip James Chambers, Postman.

Philip James Chambers was his son-in-law who married Florence G Berry in Sept.1942 Basford (she was then 35) and, as mentioned above, possibly had a dau. 1944 and a son 1947.

Hopefully this takes things a little closer.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline apchambers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 20 April 17 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hello!
This is really exciting - Cyril Berry is my Uncle!!!

I wad just surfing bye hill and jacksdale again and your message popped up - Brilliant - I can't tell you hoe pleased I am.

Uncle Cyril's Wife Marjorie died when I was young and he spent may week-ends and holiday times with us - We toured Ireland together in about 1967 - he was a clever man - made an early DIY TV - was a good pianist and photographer...
But you don't want to know all that!!

I hope I'm not too late to make contact with you...

Kind regards.
Andrew Chambers (son of Cyril's sister Florence Gwendoline Berry)

Moderator Comment: e-mail and telephone number removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 21 April 17 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew welcome to rootschat - Carol & Martyn here from Jacksdale you sent us an email today. I am just on here seeing if I can find the person who got in touch in the first place to say they had discovered Cyril's documents. You need to post a few comments on rootschat first, before you can send personal messages to users. So get posting!
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 21 April 17 20:35 BST (UK) »
I have just sent a PM to elsiegee who found the documents, hopefully she will see this thread or my message and hopefully she still has the papers. 
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY

Offline elsiegee1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 22 April 17 09:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the prod Cheshiremog, I hadn't seen this.. weirdly I was thinking about those papers the other day, randomly.

I still definitely have them but I've moved house twice since so I need to find which safe place I put them in..

Send me your address when you can Andrew, and I'll send them on.

So glad I kept them now  :D
Gillan (Glasgow, Ireland & Devon), Smith (Coventry & Plymouth), Rice (Coventry & Birmingham), Henchcliffe (Derby, Stoke, Coventry), Randle (Coventry)

Offline apchambers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 22 April 17 17:53 BST (UK) »
What fantastic news!!
I can't believe that all you people have been doing my work for me - Thanks so much.

Uncle Cyril was a major part of my teenage years but when he remarried we saw very little of him and I can only assume his "new family" carbooted his stuff.
It is such great news to have stumbled across him after all this time.

Andrew Chambers

Kindest regards to all!!!

Offline apchambers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 22 April 17 17:56 BST (UK) »
A special thanks to Carol & Martyn here from Jacksdaale - without you the trail would have faltered THANKS again to ALL!!

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 22 April 17 20:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you Andrew!  If you have any photos of Cyril or can tell us more about him then we would love to hear from you. He has been a bit of  a mystery to us for some time now thanks to Elsiegees find and her being kind enough to save the documents till someone came forward.
Staffs - HEAPY
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY

Offline elsiegee1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 23 April 17 15:09 BST (UK) »
Cyril is now packaged up ready to post - I will miss him!

Just to echo cheshiremog, it would be great to hear more about Cyril or see photos if you have any, Andrew. He has been part of our lives for a good while now..   ;)
Gillan (Glasgow, Ireland & Devon), Smith (Coventry & Plymouth), Rice (Coventry & Birmingham), Henchcliffe (Derby, Stoke, Coventry), Randle (Coventry)