Author Topic: McPike in Derry  (Read 4655 times)

Offline Gwenn02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
McPike in Derry
« on: Thursday 27 April 06 10:20 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the ascendant and family of Mary Ann McPIKE and any information about her.

I have only few information:

Mary Ann was born in Derry (circa 1833). at 23 y old she embarked for Australia. She was assisted passenger  on the TRURO (arrival Victoria Australia January 1854). Mary Ann married Isaac Woodward soon after her arrival in 1854 and remarried in 1860 to Philip JONES. She moved to New Zealand and died there in 1894.

Mary Ann's mother maiden name was HASTINGS

If anybody can be of any help :)
GILLIES (ROC/Applecross/..);   
MACDONALD  (ROC/Applecross/..);   
MACDONALD (INV/../..);   
MACRAE (ROC/Duirinish, Lochalsh/..);   
MCKENZIE (ROC/Applecross (Milton)/..);   
MCLENNAN  (ROC/Applecross/..);   
MCLEOD  (ROC/Applecross/..);   
MOFFAT CUL/Alston, Penrith/..);
JONES (Menzies Ferry, NZ, Monmoutshire, Wales, Inglewood, Pleasant Creek, Australia)
McPike (Melbourne, Inglewood, Pleasant Creek, Derry)

Offline MysticBreeze

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: McPike in Derry
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 May 06 02:10 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've just found your message and have just started researching the same line - but have the same info as you ... I am descended from Mary Ann and Philip's son Philip, through his son Ernest and his daughter Birdie.

Offline Gwenn02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 May 06 05:32 BST (UK) »
I don't have Ernest on my tree... can you give me more information? Mary Ann Mc Picke and Philip Jones are my husband GGG grand parents. Their son Philip is my husband GG grand father and his son William is my husband GG father
MACDONALD (INV/../..);   
JONES (Menzies Ferry, NZ, Monmoutshire, Wales, Inglewood, Pleasant Creek, Australia)

Offline MysticBreeze

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 May 06 09:16 BST (UK) »
My grandmother's name is Emma Alice "Birdie" Cowsill (nee Jones).  Her father (my gr grandfather) was Ernest Bernard Syrle Jones born 28 February 1889 in Edendale.  He married Leora Stott.  Ernest's parents (my gr gr grandparents) were Alice (nee Reynolds) and Philip James Jones.  I have no idea what Ernest's siblings names were but am assuming William must be one.  Philip's parents were Philip & Mary Ann Jones (nee McPike).  Email if you like : )

Offline Gwenn02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 May 06 09:22 BST (UK) »
I send you by e-mail the name of Philip siblings if you want.

It also exist a book where Mary McPike and her husband are widely mentionned (details about them, their life etc at Menzies Ferry, ...and also the where about of their offsprings. My husband and I found this book at our local library in NZ

I have also a copy of Philip Jones and Mary McPike wedding certificate mentioning parents name ...are you interested?

MACDONALD (INV/../..);   

Offline MysticBreeze

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 May 06 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi there
DEFINATELY!  Its always exciting finding other family members researching!  I have right at this moment the Menzies Ferry book (I saw it for $110 on Trade Me but couldn't afford that)- I got it interloaned through our local library as it didn't hold it so this is really the only info I have!  I was so rapted that there was a picture of Mary Ann, particularly as I'm doing a scrapbook heritage album and have no photos (other than my grandmother) for this side of the family.  Who were their parents??  Do you know how Philip got to Australia or when?
I really look forward to hearing from you again. 

Offline Gwenn02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 May 06 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hi have also Menzies Ferry book. I knew about it because my husband see it at his mother's place a while ago. Part of info about Jones family are mentioned also in a book my husband father wrote.

Since my first post on rootchat I found info about how Mary Ann went to Oz (boat name etc...) and about her first husband etc... For the JONES not much information.
We have my husband grand father (William's son) military record from WW1 (from NZ archives)
MACDONALD (INV/../..);   

Offline MysticBreeze

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 May 06 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hi again ... is the other book available through the Library or is it a family book?  I am hoping to get down to Edendale/Menzies Ferry to see where they settled and also because I've never been to the Sth Island before.  I saw that one of the small museum's down there had a Jones family scrapbook - whether or not it had anything to do with our Jones famiy is another thing .. but worthwhile checking it out. 

Offline Gwenn02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 May 06 10:00 BST (UK) »
My husband father wrote a book called "Jonesy" in 1980 (or around)  Craig Publisher Invercargill , maybe you can find it in your local library.

We are in the North Island also  ;)
MACDONALD (INV/../..);