Author Topic: Crowe family  (Read 54935 times)

Offline rezzyrezz

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Crowe family
« on: Saturday 16 October 04 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm trying to find out more about my grandfather, Joseph  Crowe, married to Kate Begley. He was in the South Irish Horse during WW1. the sons were all in the Irish Army and one of the daughters, my mother, moved to Coventry, England during the war. He worked for Major(?) Clayton-Browne at ' the big house' outside carlow.  thanks for any help.
Coughlan (from Limerick), Crowe (from Carlow).

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
Re: Crowe family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 October 04 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Are you trying to find out his family tree? How do you know that he comes from County Carlow? Do you know his birth year or have his birth registration?

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline rezzyrezz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 October 04 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have some photographs that my mother left to me. One says 'Mrs Crowe, Maryboro St, Carlow (1927)'. I have several others of Joe Crowe Sr. from around the same date. One shows him mounted and says 'Joseph Crowe, Carlow (Tinryland), South Irish Horse 1914 - 1918'. I was in Carlow a couple of times, as a child and then in the seventies. Unfortunately I dont know his birth year, but it must have been some time in the late 1880s or early 1890s to have been in thw army in WW1. If you have any more info please let me know. thanx. (I also remember my Mother telling me that my Grandfather worked at 'the big house', which I understand to have been 'Brownhills' if I am correct.)

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 October 04 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I think the first step would be to search for the record of his birth. The indexes are available in the Dublin GRO or on film at your local family history centre for certain years. See my website for a bit more information.

Good hunting!

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline Madbiker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 February 05 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi There....I am  related to you I believe (first cousin).

Joe Snr. and Kate had 4 sons and 3 daughters.
Sons Joe (Oldest), then Jim, Austin (My Father),and Harry, all were Irish Army Officers. They were followed by daughters Lenna (your Mother I think) Eileen the daughter who went to Canada and the baby of the family Claire (still alive).
I have a photo of all of the boys (your Uncles) in the army if you are interested - I too would be interested in getting details of Grandfather Joe's war record and any available photos. 

Regards Austin (Jr)

Offline rezzyrezz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 February 05 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi, yes, we are cousins. I met your father once or twice when I  was very young, I thnk he lived around Blackrock? and have some photos which were taken in the sixties.  I also have some from later (seventies i think). As regards Joe Sr. it seems to be very difficult to find out anything. There is a website about the South Irish Horse, but information is very scarce apparently a lot of the records were destroyed during WW2. My Mum, (Lena) died in 1994, and my Dad a year later. I do remember trying on Uncle Austins sword and hat when i was about  8 years old. Where do you live now?   Justin

Offline Madbiker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 February 05 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Justin - I take it your surname is Coughlan?.
My mother Deirdre is still living in the same house on Newtown Park Avenue Blackrock.
I alway wondered where the sword and cap went to...... any chance of getting them back.
I remember stories of a pair of clowns having a battle on the front lawn....was that you or was it the two Moores boy's from Carlow
I live in a lovely village on the outskirts of Dublin called Leixlip (in County Kildare) 11 miles on the M4 heading west.  I work for a medical software company.
Dad died on the 11th of September 1995 (I think I got the year right). Where do you live, what do you work etc married, separated, divorced, any kids, we are expecting our first baby toward the end of April ... talk to you soon Austin

Offline rezzyrezz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 February 05 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi, yes,  surname is Coughlan. I live and work in Germany as a civilian employee for the U.S. Military in Heidelberg,  although how long that will last I have no idea. There is talk of pulling all the U.S. troops out of Germany (punishment for not joining in). I am married here and have a 14 year old son. My wife, Rita, is German.  I actually live in a small village about 40k from Heidelberg, very pleasant, especially in the summer, Heidelberg can be unbearably humid in August. I will look up any pics I have and mail them to you if you like. My email address is 

MODERATOR COMMENT: email address removed to avoid spam and other abuses. Please use personal message system to share email addresses and other personal details. Thank You

so you can contact me directly. Cheers, Justin
 p.s. Uncle Austin wouln't let me have the sword, it was dragging around behind me anyway!

Offline Potatoes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello I believe I am a relative of the Crowe family. My paternal grandmother was Annie Crowe of Tinryland parish. She is the daughter of the Joseph Crowe who worked for Clayton-Browne - I believe he was in charge of the Stable and was personally responsible for the care of the Major- General's saddle and tack which had to be polished 3 times a day -  each time he went to ride out. She herself worked on the Brownshill estate in the big house until her marriage. She married my grandfather William Whelan in the 1920's when she was in her 30s. They had 4 sons - Thomas died c1935 aged 11 of Diptheria; my father William deceased, Ned deceased and Patrick. Annie died in 1944 or 1945 of heart attack which she suffered in the parish church - she did manage to get home - Brownshill Road - where she died. She was about 50.

My father William Whelan( Bill or Billy) met with his cousins Mrs Claire Moore and her brother Austin Crowe at Mrs. Moore's home in the spring of 1994 or 95? sadly Austin died shortly afterwards. My father said that Mrs Moore said that he bore a striking resemblance to her father - my grandmother's brother.

My grandfather William Whelan was 25 - 30 years older than my grandmother Annie. His mother was called Catherine Begley of Pollerton Beg. My father told me that Pollerton Beg was a ruin when he was a boy in the thirties. My Grandfather was born c1860-65 . He had been an adventurer. He joined the British Army in 1888 after completing his apprenticeship as a Gardener. he served in India and in South Africa and was at the relief of Mafeking. He then left the army and worked as a policemen in Cork c.1902 but left to go to the Klondike. He got to Canada but instead of pursuing gold he joined the Mounties and served in that force until 1914 when he went to France enlisted in the Canadian Infantry. He was captured at the Somme aand gassed. he spent the rest of WWI as a pow in salt mine in Cracow run by the Germans. after the war he was discharged and settled briefly in Switzerland. Here he married his first wife, a Swiss national much younger than himself. Unfortunately she died and I believe the child she gave birth to also died. Sometime in the Twenties he returned to Carlow where he married Annie Crowe. He died c.1951

Of the Crowe family I knew that one of my grandmother's brothers went to Warrington Cheshire UK - his son may have been the first Lord Mayor of that town. Another of her brothers may have served in the Royal Navy? There was also a brother who bred polo ponies or horse. There was a brother called Frank and a brother called Joe who was a hunchback as consequence of a horseriding accident. My father seemed to think that one of his mother's brothers emigrated to Australia - could we be related to the Russell Crowe !?!

My father told me that the late Austin (Augustine) Crowe was adjutant general in the Irish Army and held high rank as did his brothers. Dad also told  me that Austin was an artist and a family historian who had tracked the Crowe family story back several centuries.
Begley, Crowe, Whelan - Carlow, Ireland
Hackford - Herefordshire, England
Riches, Chilver(s) Suffolk, England
Passey - Worcestershire, England
Walker - Birmingham/Worcestershire