Author Topic: St Marys, Stilton Parish records  (Read 5894 times)

Offline ericx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
St Marys, Stilton Parish records
« on: Sunday 30 April 06 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi
Looking for information on the marriage of:
Charles Cross and Sarah (nee?) St Marys, Stilton 1793-1807
Any comments welcome.
Thank You
Eric Cross
Eric Cross<br />Newton-le-Willows, England<br /><br />Researching: Cross (Cambridge, Shoreditch, Manchester), Cheetham (Manchester), English (Cambridge, Shoreditch) Roberts (Radnorshire, Manchester), Pugh (Kington, Cardiff), Unwin (Nottingham, Manchester), Hoare (Ireland, Scotland, Manchester), Jackson (Manchester). Pigott (Ely), Zanetti (Dorset/Hamps.)<br />

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Marys, Stilton Parish records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 April 06 21:22 BST (UK) »
The only Charles Cross in the Hunts Marriage Index between 1755 and 1820 was at Hemingford Abbots in 1803 between Charles of Cambridge St Clements and Mary Cokes or Gokes (can't read the first letter, my fiche has a spot of dust on it)

Regards

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline ericx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 May 06 00:11 BST (UK) »
Hi David
Thank you for the information. Don't think this is the right couple, but will give it some consideration.
Regards Ericx
Eric Cross<br />Newton-le-Willows, England<br /><br />Researching: Cross (Cambridge, Shoreditch, Manchester), Cheetham (Manchester), English (Cambridge, Shoreditch) Roberts (Radnorshire, Manchester), Pugh (Kington, Cardiff), Unwin (Nottingham, Manchester), Hoare (Ireland, Scotland, Manchester), Jackson (Manchester). Pigott (Ely), Zanetti (Dorset/Hamps.)<br />

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 May 06 05:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Eric

If they didn't marry in Hunts could it have been in Northants, as Stilton is very close to the Northants border? There is a Northants Marriage Index as well, so a look up request on the Northants board might bear fruit

Regards

David

Offline ericx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 May 06 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi David
Anywhere is possible - Charles was serving in the Cambridge militia between 1793 and 1816 - the only reason I started with Stilton was that his son (my gt gt grandfather) was born there while he was with the army at Norman Cross prisoner of war camp.
Regards Ericx

Offline Dutchess0909

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 June 11 05:10 BST (UK) »
I am looking for info on the CAVIE family.  There was a reverend Alexander J L Cavie who performed a wedding in 1838 in  Stoke Church for William Woolby CAVIE with Kate Downes as well as for Kates sister Ann Downes with reverend Harry Martin rector at Stilton, Dorset.

Kate and William's daughter Catherine Lyona Sophia CAVIE (* in Dinan, France) later married Sir John William Campbell. Later Major-General: Crimea, China. Afgan war, etc etc

So I have two reverends: one Cavie and one Martin. And I have a prominent Campbell and the Esq William Woolby Cavie.

I am hypothesizing that the Cavie reverend is family of WW CAVIE which would help research.

Can you advise me please if there are records I could research?

kind regards
margaret

Offline durban61

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 January 14 22:32 GMT (UK) »
I am related to Edward Cavie who immigrated to South Africa.  He is related to the Cavies you emntion in your post

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 January 14 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!

As Margaret's post was added to a completed thread it doesn't show in the county listing on the England-general page as a latest post. So I missed it! Not that I could have added much as it doesn't seem to have anything to do with Huntingdonshire - the connection seems to have been Stilton Dorset, which is 180 miles from Stilton Huntingdonshire

Using the IGI at www.familysearch.org there's a baptism of Alexander Joseph Lyon CAVIE, son of Joseph and Lyona Harriet CAVIE at East Retford, Nottinghamshire on 29 Mar 1797, and his two marriages in 1826 and 1848. Alumni Cantabrigienses says about him "Adm. sizar at ST JOHN'S, Oct. 31, 1821. S. of Joseph, of East Retford, Notts. School, Retford. Matric. Michs. 1821; B.A. 1826; M.A. 1865. Ord. deacon, 1825; priest, 1826. P.C. of Shuttington, Warws., 1845-75. C. of Seckington, near Tamworth, 1848-63. Not in Crockford, 1876."

William CAVIE was baptised at East Retford on 8 Mar 1900, with the same parents, so in answer to Margaret's question, it seems as though the two Cavies were brothers, although Alexander wasn't the incumbent at Stoke. Later - But there's also a baptism of William Woolby CAVIE on 16 Jan 1809 at Clarborough, Nottinghamshire, but with parents William CAVIE and Leona Harriot. More work needs to be done to establish if William is an error for Joseph, either a transcription error or an error in the parish register (In the same parish there's also a baptism of Wharton Amcotts CAVIE on 7 May 1805 where the parents are shown as Joseph and Lyona, so William Woolby's father looks to be an error of some description)

William Woolby CAVIE also went to Cambridge University " Adm. pens. at ST CATHARINE'S, Oct. 16, 1829. Matric. Michs. 1829." Same source

There's a marriage in Dundee, Scotland on 4 Jul 1796 between Joseph CAVIE and Lyona HERRIOT, which might be them. There can't be too many marriages between a Cavie and a Lyona! Lyona's name on all the baptisms of her children is shown as Lyona Harriet, as if she had two given names. I wonder if somehow her maiden name Herriot was given as a middle name. Just an aside!

Edit, Later still - there's a burial of Joseph CAVIE age 47 at West Retford, Notts in 1819. There's also a marriage on 18 Aug 1827 at All Souls Marylebone London of Peter Campbell widower and Lyona Harriot Cavie, widow. There's a death of Lyona Harriet Campbell in Plympton registration district, Devon in the Mar quarter 1840. Her burial entry shows her age as 65