Author Topic: 1851 Census - St Maurice, York - Moses BOWMAN - COMPLETED Thank you  (Read 3722 times)

Offline David.china

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census - St Maurice, York - Moses BOWMAN - COMPLETED Thank you
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 April 18 09:46 BST (UK) »
Could SKS look up Moses BOWMAN in 1851 census for York for me?  The one I am looking for would be about 59 and born in Huntington York.  I also think he may have been a whitesmith.  I don't have details of any other possible members of the hosehold at the moment  :-\

Any help much appreciated.

Pinetree  ;)

P.S.  I think he might be transcribed as BAWMAN (must be the Yorkshire accent  ;D)

Pinetree, I’ve just come across this site and I know your post about Moses Bowman is very old, but I thought I’d tell you that I am descended from Moses and Sarah via Robert their son, followed by
William Henry Bowman, then John Earnest Bowman and finally Lawrence Bowman, my father.
We have traced 3 generations of Bowmans before Moses going back to 1677.
So we are distantly related!
David Bowman

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 April 18 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hello David,

Welcome to Rootschat.

The BOWMAN connection is actually on my husband's side through Thomas Bowman who was brother to your Moses. Thomas married Jane Bateman and their son William (1817-1891) was my husband's 3xGr Grandfather.  Your nearest common ancestors would appear to be William BOWMAN (1735-1821) and Ann GROWCOCK.  Does this fit with your findings?

I would be happy to share further information if it would be of interest although I don't think I have managed to get any further back than you on the BOWMAN line.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline David.china

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 April 18 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Pinetree,
Good to hear back from you.
Yes I agree that William Bowman and Ann Growcock would be the common ancestors.
This is the info on prior ancestors we have....William was the son of John Bowman (1695-???) and Elizabeth Plowman (1700-1783). John was in turn the son of John Bowman (1677-1723) and Jane ??? (???-1721). He in turn was the son of yet another John Bowman born about 1655.
Do you have any info that helps fill in the gaps?

The descendants of Moses moved from York to Scarborough in Yorkshire then Middlesbrough. I’ve moved a bit further afield, living in Shanghai!

Thanks
David