Author Topic: Festival Queen - Widnes 1950's  (Read 2652 times)

Offline crofton142

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Festival Queen - Widnes 1950's
« on: Monday 01 May 06 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have found several photographs of my mother at about age 4 when she was crowned Festival Queen. She was born in 1946, so this would make it around 1950.
She is seen on a float with a crown. They came from Widnes and upon asking was told they lived HoughGreen???? Is that in Widnes. I seem to recall an address also be Macefield Avenue.
Any help??????
Cheers
Tanja
CHESHIRE: Wilson; Whittingham; Morrey; Mottram; Hough; Crank: LANCASHIRE: Wilson; Gandy; Hunt; Edwardson; Mitchell; Brown; Cartwright; Atherton
IRELAND(GALWAY): Mitchell; Brown

Offline Johnbeddows

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Festival Queen - Widnes 1950's
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 May 06 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Tanja, Hough Green is a district of Widnes, do you know where  Widnes is?
Google Widnes or Halton and you should get further info, the area is now Halton, so Halton Borough Council is the local council.
Not too sure what Hough Green was like in 1950 possibly rural, small village life, its not like that now.

John
Researching BEDDOW(S) Shropshire, Liverpool
HANNAH, ROBINSON, LIGGETT, WEBSTER, RAWLINS, PRYCE, KERR Liverpool

Offline crofton142

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 May 06 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hi John
Thanks for the info. I do know where Widnes is and have looked into sites that you had suggested but I cannot find anything relating to the festival. Will keep trying.
Cheers
Tanja
CHESHIRE: Wilson; Whittingham; Morrey; Mottram; Hough; Crank: LANCASHIRE: Wilson; Gandy; Hunt; Edwardson; Mitchell; Brown; Cartwright; Atherton
IRELAND(GALWAY): Mitchell; Brown

Offline Johnbeddows

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 May 06 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Tanja, you might not find too much info as Hough Green was a small place, there is a book on the history of Widnes lots of photos, it could be part of Chalford Publishing Co based in Stroud, they seem to publish local history books.

Maybe you could try Information Centre at HBC they carry lots of local info, old postcards the usually tourist stuff
Researching BEDDOW(S) Shropshire, Liverpool
HANNAH, ROBINSON, LIGGETT, WEBSTER, RAWLINS, PRYCE, KERR Liverpool

Offline ellice

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Just read this post although it is an old one.  I was born in Widnes near to Masefield Avenue which is an area called locally "The Ave" all of the streets are avenues.  In view of the fact that your mother was born only in 1946 many people will remember her name.  On facebook there are several sites relating to Widnes.  If you put on a notice on Widnes Past and Present and mention the photo someone may pick it up.  The parade you refer to in 1950 may in fact be 1951 when the Festival of Britain was celebrated and all the towns had parades.  Hope you find an answer.