Author Topic: 1871 census look up please - WILLIAMS  (Read 11922 times)

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1871 census look up please - WILLIAMS
« on: Tuesday 02 May 06 02:40 BST (UK) »
I am working on a hunch only but if anyone has access to the 1871 census, I was wondering if there was a Roger WILLIAMS born in Torrington, Devon around 1825. My guess would be in Glamorganshire but I really don't know. I don't even know for sure if he was in Wales at that time but I think he may have been. Much thanks,

:) ard

PS does anyone know if WILLIAMS is particularily a Welsh name or could it just as easily be English.
thanx
CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 census look up please - WILLIAMS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 03:08 BST (UK) »
Certainly gets around Ard, I see hes in Cornwall in 1861

RG10/5410 Folio 40 Page 40
15 Lower Station Street
Aberdare
Glamorgan

home of Alexander J BROWN 48 Coal Miner (Wiltshire) Wife Harriet (Somerset) and Children Glamorgan

WILLIAMS Roger Boarder 48 Widow b Great Torrington Devon Coal Miner
WILLIAMS Jeremiah Boarder 14 Unm b Fricklestock Devon Coal Miner

Cheers Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 03:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I didn't have that.

In 1851 he was living with his older sister Rebecca Harding and her family, in Cornwall. At that time he was working as a quarryman like his brother-in-law.

What made me think about Wales was that, at the 1871 and 1881 census, Rebecca was a Widow living with her daughters family, the Corneliuses. I noticed that two of their children were born in Glamorgan and wondered if Roger went there too.

I though he may have been there in 1871 as did find what I believed to be my Roger of interest in Glamorgan in 1881, a widower., a boarder from a different coalminer by the name of Rowden, also from Wiltshire!! Jeremiah was with him too, so I guessed he may have been his son. Interestingly, Frithelstock was where his sister Rebecca was living in 1841 (Rebecca had Lyne as a surname then, a widow with one son)! It is actually Rebecca who is my ggg grandmother but sometimes we need to so sideways before going up!

Funny little puzzle pieces!

ard

CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 04:09 BST (UK) »
Actually what you gave me was in fact in 1871 not 1861, correct? 

That means in 1861 he was likely either in Cornwall or, since his son was born in Devon, perhaps he was living in Devon at that time (assuming Jeremiah was his son).

Intersting how, even though they moved around, the same places crop up!

ard

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 04:16 BST (UK) »
I found this marriage on free BMD

Marriages Sep Q. 1852
Kent  Hannah    Camelford  5c 34   
Williams  Roger     Camelford  5c 34

And this birth
Births Jun quarter 1857
Williams  Jeremiah    Torrington  5b 486

Langteglos by Camelford is where he was with his sister at the time of the 1851 census.

Would you be able to find him in the1861 census records by any chance  :)

Thanks for all your assistance!

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 04:31 BST (UK) »
Yes Ard That is 1871, I only mentioned he was in Cornwall in 1861 in passing. LOL

Here is that 1861 entry

RG9/1541Folio 58 Page 4
Edminton
St Breock
Cornwall

WILLIAMS Roger Head 35 Widow b G Torraton Devon Slate Quarry Labourer
WILLIAMS Mary Dau 7 b Cornwall
WILLIAMS Betsey Dau 5 b Cornwall
WILLIAMS Jeremiah Son 3 b Cornwall

Cheers Kris  :D

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 04:42 BST (UK) »
Ahh... my temporary ??? confusion has passed, thank you  :-[

Roger was obviously left with young children when his wife died. Surprisingly, he doesn't seem to have remarried. I wonder who the two girls went to live with!

Thanks again for filling in those blanks, Kris. It is much appreciated.

ard

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 05:07 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately with names so common and no exact POB it is difficult Ard. I do see a Mary b Cornwall of the right age a servant in Frithelstock. Could be just coincidence but there are ohh so many Mary and Betsey derivatives born in either Cornwall or Devon not living with obvious family in 1871.  :'(

Yes It must have been hard for Roger. Most in his position seem to remarry pretty quickly...Kris   :D

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 06:18 BST (UK) »
That Mary in Frithelstock may well be her, like you say - but indeed they are common names. That's OK... I'd be getting a little compulsive if I felt I had to find the two sisters.  ;D

You've been a great help, Kris. Thank you muchly.
My next task is to send away for a marriage certificate in hope to find out who Rebecca and Roger's parents were (or at least their father - There is a significant age difference between them, so perhaps they didn't have the same mother, anyway.)

cheers,
ard