Author Topic: Barcaple House, Ringford, Castle Douglas  (Read 12366 times)

Offline claudia99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Barcaple House, Ringford, Castle Douglas
« on: Tuesday 02 May 06 12:28 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor who died at Barcaple House in 1878 who was a member of the stock exchange.
Does anyone have any history of this house or 1871 census to see who lived there as I am not sure if he was visiting or if he owned the house.
The house is now owned by a christian society.
Any info on this house or its occupants around the 1870s/1880s would be helpful.
The name I am particularly interested in is Fildes although my Fildes wife had a middle name of Gladstone...
Claudia
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Fagan - Guernsey (1807), Wrexham (census 1841-1871), then Barton upon Irwell from around 1873

Fildes - Manchester, Chester, Liverpool, Chorlton, Ashton, Salford (descended from Mary Pritchard and William Fildes, Sir Samuel Luke's grandparents)

Speakman - Manchester and Salford

Bridge - Manchester (initially Ardwick) and Salford

Offline Talus 14

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Barcaple House, Ringford, Castle Douglas
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 July 06 22:00 BST (UK) »
Re  Barcaple
Hi,  I don't know if this helps.
I read the will of Walter Montgomerie Neilson a couple of days ago.
It refers to Barcaple mansion being rented to Mrs Elizabeth G Pinching for £175 from whitsunday to 8th July 1889. Regards Vikki

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 September 06 06:07 BST (UK) »

Claudia, Hi!
My ancestors probably kept Barcaple House 'spic and span' and/or ploughed the fields, but that does not negate my interest  8) My David McMurray was born 1879 at High Barcaple, as was his aunt, Isabella McMurray. I would be very interested in any history that unfolds. One never knows as not all posts are public. Please let me know if you have any break throughs!

Thank you
Scatza

I have an ancestor who died at Barcaple House in 1878 who was a member of the stock exchange.
Does anyone have any history of this house or 1871 census to see who lived there as I am not sure if he was visiting or if he owned the house.
The house is now owned by a christian society.
Any info on this house or its occupants around the 1870s/1880s would be helpful.
The name I am particularly interested in is Fildes although my Fildes wife had a middle name of Gladstone...
Claudia
McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa

Offline Pennyt

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 June 07 08:43 BST (UK) »
I have some Maitlands in my family tree who lived at High Barcaple and thought that it was owned by them

Offline timaitland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 May 10 13:19 BST (UK) »
I have just picked up your post re Barcaple & would be interersted to know who your Maitland ancestors were, since I am descended from edward Francis Maitland who owned Barcaple until he died in 1870. The esate was sold in 1872

Offline timaitland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 May 10 13:22 BST (UK) »
Barcaple was in the maitland family until 1872. I would be happy to provide some history before this date if it of interest.

Offline Ringford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 July 10 18:19 BST (UK) »
I would be really interested to know more about the history of Barcaple House and indeed about anything and everything associated with Ringford and Tongland. Ringford hall will be celebrating it's 150th anniversary next year and the hall committee plan to hold an exhibition of local history. Can anybody help please?

Offline timaitland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 July 10 20:10 BST (UK) »
There is a section in Kirkyards.co.uk headed Tongland which has a lot about Barcaple estate up to the time of Walter Neilson. The link is: http://www.kirkyards.co.uk/tongland/lands.asp. It is currently a Christian outdoor centre - see www.abernethy.org.uk/barcaple/

I would still be interested in your Maitland connections

all best wishes

Offline danpatch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 July 10 15:49 BST (UK) »
My father was a gardener at Barcaple in the 1930's, his name was Robert Johnstone.