Author Topic: Barcaple House, Ringford, Castle Douglas  (Read 12368 times)

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Barcaple House, Ringford, Castle Douglas
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 July 10 16:54 BST (UK) »
With so much interest expressed in Barcaple House, I thought this advertisement which appeared in the Glasgow Herald on 11 April 1870, would be worth sharing:

KIRKOUDBRIGHTSHIRE
MANSION HOUSE AND SHOOTINGS TO BE LET
THE MANSION HOUSE OF BARCAPLE, with shootings, gardens and offices
The house is suitably furnished and has every accommodation for a family.  It contains Dining Room, Drawing Room, Parlour, Nine Bed Rooms, 2 Dressing Rooms, Kitchen, Pantry, Scullery, Servants' Hall and 3 Servants' Bed Rooms.  There is Cold Water throughout the house.
There are a large walled garden, well stocked with fruit and vegetables, two flower gardens, large conservatory attached to the house, Vinery, Melon House etc.
The Office Houses are ample.  They include a wash house, fitted up with hot and cold water, large laundry and three servants' bedrooms.
There are 2 porters' lodges, one being occupied by the gardener and the other by the gamekeeper.  There is also a cottage occupied by the shepherd.  The tenant will have right to shooting over about 4000 acres, the game consisting of grouse, Blackgame, Partridges, Pheasants, Hares etc.
There are 2 small lakes on the property, on one of which there are a boat and good duck shooting.  There is also good trout fishing for five miles on the River Tariff, and the River Dee is within 2 miles of the property, on which excellent salmon fishing can be had.
A park and meadow, extending together to about 21 acres, may also be let along with the Mansion House if desired.  The situation of Barcaple is very beautiful and picturesque, the surrounding scenery being of a Highland character.  It is within half a mile of the Gatehouse (Tarff Bridge) Stationon the Glasgow and South-Western railway, 7 hours from Liverpool and Manchester, and 11 hours from London.  It is 4 miles from the County Town of Kirkcudbright.  For further particulars ...etc...

Offline danpatch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 15:18 BST (UK) »
My father Robert Johnstone was a gardener at Barcaple from 1927 until 1942, at first he lived in lodgings in Ringford and when he got married in 1936 he moved into a cottage which you can see from the main road. The people in the Big House at that time were the King-Websters. As I wasn't born untill 1950, I'm afraid I can't help anymore. I don't have any photo's but I shall ask my sister as she was born at Barcaple in 1937.

Offline tomba

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 April 16 00:17 BST (UK) »
can anyone tell me if this is the same residence named Valleyfield Farm House, Tongland, Kirkcudbrightshire, I am chasing the Thomson family and found Robert Thomson and his family at Valley field in the 1861 Census I then found the following on the web
The first mention of Valleyfield, is dated 5th November 1604, when Robert son of Robert
Gordon of Glen, had retour of Nether Barcaple or Valleyfield, as we have found it called
VALLEYFIELD OR NETHER BARCAPLE.
This was a portion of the Barcaple estate, and retained by David Maitland, when he sold Barcaple to his younger brother, Edward Francis, a lord of Session, with the title of Lord Barcaple David Maitland of Valleyfield, died at Barcaple, on the 29th December 1872, aged 78. "We have given an account under Barcaple, and will only state here that the farms owned were Loch-hill, Valleyfield, Doams, etc., which were recently purchased by Walter Montgomerie Neilson of Queenshill
Nether Barcaple was still retained by the Reverend Alexander Maitland, minister of the parish, subsequently purchased Nether Barcaple or Valleyfield, which adjoined his own.
McGuffog, Grieve, Broadfoot, Flett, Rigg, Riddick, Gillies, Jobson, Gillies, Bath, Hanna, Betterridge, Ellem,

Offline timaitland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 April 16 07:41 BST (UK) »
Valleyfield Farm House is not on the plan I have of the Barcaple Estate dated 1867, when it was sold by David Maitland to is brother Edward Francis at that time. It is presumably part of what was called "Valleyfield or Nether Barcaple" which lies to the South of Barcaple and was retained by David Maitland