Author Topic: bell bo'ness 2  (Read 3782 times)

Offline kack

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
bell bo'ness 2
« on: Wednesday 03 May 06 07:15 BST (UK) »
looking for James Bell birth/death married Elisabeth Snaddon 22/11/1819 at bo'ness need to find his parents any help would be appreciated as with previous post.

thanks
Bell   Bo'ness West Lothian
Stewart    Stonehouse Lanarkshire
McInness  Ayreshire
West Middlesex England
De lesPine later changed to LePine La Gorge Flanders then from Canterbury Kent England

Offline GEN10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: bell bo'ness 2
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 May 06 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hya Kack, I have Snaddons in my family tree. Who were Elizabeth's parent's?
GEN10
FIFE NAMES:BELL, BEVERIDGE, MCNEILL, HENDERSON, HYND, MITCHEL, WEBSTER.
MIDLOTHIAN NAMES: BLAIR, CROMBIE,  FAIRNIE, GREENLEES, LATTA, PEAT, SNEDDON/SNADDON.
ANGUS: BEAN, COWIE, GOWANS, MYLES, SKIRLING

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Kack

You might already have this. This looks like the family in 1841 FreeCen:

BELL       James       M       50       Labourer        West Lothian            
        BELL       Elisabeth       F       40               West Lothian            
        BELL       Alexander       M       18       Coal Miner        West Lothian            
        BELL       Richard       M       16       Coal Miner        West Lothian            
        BELL       John       M       14       Coal Miner        West Lothian            
        BELL       Henry       M       12               West Lothian            
        BELL       James       M       6               West Lothian            
        BELL       Allison       F       8               West Lothian            
        BELL       William       M       5m               West Lothian        

Address: Corbie Hall, Borrowstouness-West Lothian

Going simply by James Bell's age on the 1841 census and the name of what looks like his first born son Alexander, there is an entry on IGI which is a possibility, although as a submitted entry it would need to be verified:

JAMES BELL Birth: 29 MAR 1790   Christening: 07 APR 1790  Bo'Ness, West Lothian, Scotland
Parents: Father: ALEXANDER BELL Mother: ISABEL JARVIE

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 12:45 BST (UK) »

Hi thanks for the info but i dont think thats them because i have elizabeth death cert she died 1857 at the age of 61 and was witness by son Daniel.

James already deceased.

They did live at corbihall when she died?

I have a census for 1841 which list Daniel married to Agnes Grant with a daughter Agnes, this info fits as Agnes married David Wotherspoon and this Agnes would have been my great aunt - I have found their living rel's here in Australia. but am still stump going back-cannot locate info on James.

If you can think of any thing eles would be appreciated.

By the way I'm keeping the info because another member of the family Margaret Bell married another James bell (this James deing a desendant of the above Daniel and James),  therefore Ihave two Bell familys to find I know Margarets parents where Thomas & Helen Bell nee Easton and some of the christian names fix that family ( alexander,john ) but havnt made it back that far with them yet.
McInness  Ayreshire
West Middlesex England
De lesPine later changed to LePine La Gorge Flanders then from Canterbury Kent England

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 May 06 09:55 BST (UK) »
Daniel Bell married Agnes Grant in Bo'ness on 31 Dec 1840, so could the 1841 census data provided by Monica not still show the correct family with Daniel having moved elsewhere to be with his new wife?

I don't think the 1841 census recorded peoples ages very accurately, so that could explain the difference between Elizabeth's actual date of birth of circa 1796 (as calculated from her age on her death cert) and the circa 1801 birth date that is suggested by the information in the census.

Hope this helps
Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline Sherlock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 May 06 10:00 BST (UK) »
Remember for the 1841 census ages were rounded.

From the Scotland's People Website
Points to note about the 1841 Census:

Although the names of household members were recorded, the head of the household was not denoted and therefore relationship of household members to the head is absent.
Enumerators were instructed to round down the ages of persons 15 years and over to the nearest five years. Hence a given age of 28 would be recorded as 25, one of 63 as 60 and so on. If a person lied about their age, this, combined with the rounding down, could severely distort the actual age. You will find instances where enumerators did not adhere to this instruction on age and inserted the given age.
Birthplace details were less specific than in later years, recording only whether or not the person was born in the county where the census took place, or whether a person was English, Irish or Foreign.
Enumerators were instructed to record occupations in an abbreviated form, e.g. H.L.W. denoted handloom weaver.

Andrew, Donald (Wester Highlands), Muckersie (Perth), Symon(s) (Dundee)

Offline kack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 May 06 10:12 BST (UK) »
Daniel is on the 1841 census married to Agnes Grant with 1 child Agnes.

Just cannot find his birth infomation

His brothers and sisters were born in Bo'ness so one wuld think he waws to

still looking

thanks for your help

kim
McInness  Ayreshire
West Middlesex England

Offline Sherlock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 May 06 10:19 BST (UK) »
Do you have any other details for Daniel ( e.g. age on 1841 census or later census) .

If he was born within 9 months of parent's marriage in 1819, he may have been "born out of wedlock" and his birth not been recorded by the church.
Andrew, Donald (Wester Highlands), Muckersie (Perth), Symon(s) (Dundee)

Offline kack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 May 06 11:40 BST (UK) »

He was 21 and Agnes was 20 which makes him born approx 1820 - 1821

there is only 2 listed on scotlands people for that time neither is him

kim
McInness  Ayreshire
West Middlesex England