Author Topic: A few of my Essex surnames (more added)  (Read 28017 times)

Offline katemart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: A few of my Essex surnames (more added)
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Findem

Any chance your Essex Anthonys were West Ham - Tilbury way???

PS - for living cousins, have you tried GenesReunited? Friends Reunited can be useful, too.

Kate
RUMSBY (any, plus assorted Suffolk families); HOLLAND (Driffield > E London > Tilbury); JONES (Deptford > Gravesend); PAIN (Tibury); BULLEN (London); O'CONNELL and MAHONEY (Cork > Gravesend); ANTHONY, ROWE, LAWRY (Cornwall > London); STONES, VITTY, RIPLEY (Durham > Yorkshire).

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 16 June 05 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate,
I'm stuck in Coggeshall with my Anthony line, my ancestor is Jane Anthony who married Michael Dalton in 1796 at Coggeshall.  I found the marriage some years ago and have made no headway at all with the Anthony side.  Jane was a widow when she married Michael Dalton, her first husband was John Howard.  I have been in contact with a 5th cousin in Canada who supplied the death details but she is stuck at the same brick wall.  According to her death certificate Jane was 78 when she died in 1849, so that would see her born around 1761.  I will need to recheck Coggeshall Anglican and Independent PRs because when I originally them checked I may not have have gone back as far as 1761.  So where my Anthony's came from is anyone's guess at the moment  ???.  A witness to Jane's first marriage was an Abraham Anthony, probably her father or a brother, so I do have a small clue, perhaps I'll get lucky on my next trip to the UK  ;D

How far back do you go with your Anthonys?

Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ems1973uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 04 July 05 00:43 BST (UK) »
I am looking at my in-laws family who appear to have come from in and around Rayleigh in Essex.
The family name is Linggood.
I would be really interested to hear from anyone also looking at this name.

Ems
Woodford - Beaulieu, Boldre, Lymington, Holdenhurst, Bournemouth, Norley Wood.  King - Christchurch.  Wright - Bournemouth.  Leat - Ringwood, Beaulieu.  Hillier - Beaulieu. Rawlings - Beaulieu.  Harris - Beaulieu.   Bessant - Bournemouth.  Bartlett - Bournemouth.  Adams - Hertfordshire, London.  Johnston - London, Ireland. 
Linggood - Essex and Kent.  Lowe - Lancashire, Kent, Essex.  Sampson and Merrifield - Dorset and Hampshire.  Another area includes Basted, Kent.

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 04 July 05 01:01 BST (UK) »
Hi ems,
I suspect you meant to put this post on the Essex board as a "New Topic" rather than a reply to my post.  There being no Linggoods mentioned in my post you are unlikely to receive any replies.

Good luck with your search. 

Offline katemart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 04 July 05 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Findem

Sorry for the delay in replying - keep waiting for the hecticness of normal life to stop so I can get lost in the past ::)

My Anthonys came from Cornwall, via Battersea, my earliest being John b c 1800.  I'm just intrigued as to what my ggma was doing in 1901 - not with family, not yet married, rumours of "exotic dancing" and an overheard argument between my grandparents to the effect that "she was no better than she should be".  I've looked under every possible mistranscription in the census to no avail - perhaps she had a stage name???

Good luck with your Anthonys

Kate
RUMSBY (any, plus assorted Suffolk families); HOLLAND (Driffield > E London > Tilbury); JONES (Deptford > Gravesend); PAIN (Tibury); BULLEN (London); O'CONNELL and MAHONEY (Cork > Gravesend); ANTHONY, ROWE, LAWRY (Cornwall > London); STONES, VITTY, RIPLEY (Durham > Yorkshire).

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 05 July 05 01:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate,
Looks like your ggma was a lively lass, at least she adds a bit of colour to the family tree.  My lot were a pretty staid bunch as far as I can see, the best we could come up with was my gt grandfather who was reputed to be a "womaniser", in an aunt's words "if the gatepost wore a bonnet he'd be interested".  I have a gt aunt by marriage who was a Romany, my mother met her and said she was a very nice lady.  Some of my relos thought  that she was a barmaid, I met her daughter last year, it turns out she wasn't a barmaid at all but her and a sister rented a room above The Angel pub in Broomfield!  It looks as though family lore needs to be treated with caution  ;D

Have you tried a post on RootsChat?, someone may know how to check for stage names.  I suppose it depends on how big a star she was as to whether she would have a recorded stage name.

Good luck with your research.

Offline kentay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: A few of my Essex surnames
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 11 August 05 00:05 BST (UK) »
Hello - my mother-in-laws family come from Borley - farthest back I have got is Joseph Theobald, who was father of Susannah Theobald, my mother-in-laws mother.  I have various details, including addresses, mainly relating to 1870/1880s.

Do you think they are one and the same?

Christine4

Offline kentay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 11 August 05 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hi: My Grandfather was William Theobald, born in Borley 1883. His father was Thomas, born 1860. His father was William born 1830 in Bulmer......etc
I am back ( i think) to William & Mary, married in Cavendish in 1663.
I note that your mother-in-law comes from Borley.  I am interested in any Theobald information from Borley or elsewhere, and am willing to exchange information.
I have communicated with "Findem" in Australia but his Stebbing Theobalds do not seem to have been routed thru' Borley.  I suspect however they come from the 1663 Cavendish William and Mary.

Offline kentay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 22 August 05 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine: It has been a while since you posted this, but I have an extensive datbase of Theobalds in Borley from 1733 to the 1900's.
The only Joseph I see was born in 1775 to James & Hannah. Does this fit the Joseph you are interested in?  I have not researched Joseph forward as it was his brother Joshua b.1778, that is my direct line.
Hope this helps, Ken.