Author Topic: Parish record - Kilaveney  (Read 36486 times)

Offline gabriel

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Parish record - Kilaveney
« Reply #36 on: Monday 08 October 12 09:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

That’s exciting information! Thanks again for your help. I live in Scotland, so an expedition to the NLI will need some planning.

I hadn’t looked up the James baptised in 1826. I’ll see what emerges when I do.

“My” James had at least six siblings born 1803-1816 – the 1826 James could, of course, prove to be a nephew of his.

James’s parents were William Mouls and Margaret Magee. Who knows, the
Magees may have been longstanding Coolattin tenants.

Best wishes,
Peter

Offline mjg1916

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 03:46 BST (UK) »
Hello San Telmo, my GG Grandparents came from Wicklow. I have found a copy of the 1868 Tenants of Coollattin Estate with them listed, but I am not able to find any other records. If you have copies of other Tenant Records, would it be possible for you to check for me to see if there are any Giddens, Giddens Gethins Githins, and any other variations of the name on any of the Records, I would be very grateful for any help
Doyle, Lacy, Lacey, Giddens, Githens and variations Co.Wicklow. Thompson, Thomson, Little, Elliot, Co.Tyrone. McLaughlin, Carlin, Co. Donegal. Ritchie, Harvie, Henderson, Paisley Renfrewshire

Offline SanTelmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Did the 1868 Tenants of Coolattin Estate record show in which townsland / parish your GG grandparents lived?

The surname Gethings (and variants) is relatively common in Wicklow so it would be good to narrow down the search.

If you know what parish your GG grandparents lived in, you might be able to find some of their church records from the registers.nli.ie page which was recently launched.

Thanks,

Shane

Offline mjg1916

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 23 July 15 02:50 BST (UK) »
They lived in Muskeagh, Wicklow. So far that is the only Townland  that I have them living at. They were also there on the Griffiths Valuation and my GG Grandfather died in Muskeagh in 1879.
Doyle, Lacy, Lacey, Giddens, Githens and variations Co.Wicklow. Thompson, Thomson, Little, Elliot, Co.Tyrone. McLaughlin, Carlin, Co. Donegal. Ritchie, Harvie, Henderson, Paisley Renfrewshire

Offline SanTelmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 23 July 15 21:13 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I only have a record from Muskeagh from 1839.

The records were taken in 1827, 1839, 1848, 1850, 1860 and 1868.

In the 1839 record for Muskeagh there is a holding for Richard and John Giddens.  The holding was 34 acres, 1 rood and 20 perches, shared equally between both men.

Richard was 78 years old, his wife was 81 and they had 2 sons and a daughter living with them (although there is a note indicating that these were grandchildren, it is a little difficult to read).  They also had a male and a female servant.

John was 67 years old, his wife was 69 and they had 2 sons, 2 daughters and a son-in-law living with them.

Both Richard and John were farmers.

I had a quick look at the records for Farnees which is a neighbouring townland, but I wasn't able to find any Giddens/variants there.

Hope this helps,

Shane

Offline SanTelmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 23 July 15 21:21 BST (UK) »
Actually the same Richard and John can be found in the Tithe Applotment records in 1826:

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/results.jsp?surname=giddens&firstname=&county=Wicklow&parish=&townland=&search=Search

I imagine either Richard or John was the father of your great-grandfather going by their ages.

Offline mjg1916

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 23 July 15 21:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks heaps Shane, that does help.
Maureen

Offline mjg1916

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 25 July 15 02:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

If it's not too much to ask, are you able to email me a copy of that 1839 tenants survey?

Do you know how to obtain all of the other tenant survey's?  We now have basic information from the 1839 and 1868 survey's but it would be nice to put a timeline in with all of the other survey's.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Cheers
Maureen