Author Topic: 1841 Census lookup  (Read 1354 times)

Offline cleoparies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1841 Census lookup
« on: Friday 05 May 06 16:59 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find my 4th great grandparents, John and Jane Baker.  They were in Chatham, Kent when their daughter, Jane, was born in 1781.  It is possible they could still be living in Chatham in 1841.  Their daughter, Jane, married a Japanese mariner, Samuel Williams, my direct ancestor and I have been trying for 20 years to find him.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.  Jackie

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census lookup
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 May 06 09:19 BST (UK) »
Sorry Jackie but I couldn't see them in Chatham.  Approximately 200 John BAKERs in Kent and the only ones old enough to be the father of a child born in 1781 weren't near Chatham and, after all, given their likely ages ie. 80+ they were quite likely to have been deceased :(

When/where does the daughter Jane marry or when/where does she next turn up?  Was her father or any other relative witness to the marriage? 

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cleoparies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 May 06 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Casalguidi:  I have the 1841, 1851, 1861 census records for Jane Baker Williams.  She was married to Samuel Williams, a mariner on her son's birth certificate.  She was born in 1806 in Chatham (lost my wits, don't know where I got 1781)and her parents, John Baker and Jane Denton were married on 14 Oct 1805 in Chatham, Kent, England.  Samuel Williams and Jane Baker's first and only son, Samuel John Williams was born on 5 Sept. 1843.  Jane was a widow in 1851.  Any help you could give me on any of this family would be appreciated!  Thanks, Jackie

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 May 06 23:40 BST (UK) »
Ok, where was Jane in 1841 and (Jane and Sam) in 1851 and where was Samuel born?

Casalguidi

Offline cleoparies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 May 06 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hi:In 1843, Jane and Samuel's son, Samuel John Williams was born in Mile End, London, England.  I found Jane and Samuel Williams in 1841 on the census St. Leonards, Shoreditch, Hollywell, Moorefield.s In 1851, Jane Williams, widow, lived with her sister, Mary Johnson, also a widow, at 38 John St. St. George in the East. (1851 census, H0107/1548, Folio 188.  Thanks, Jackie

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 May 06 16:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie

Just wondering ............... have you traced the sister Mary ie. baptism/marriage?

Casalguidi

Offline cleoparies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 May 06 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Casalguidi:  I brought in the Parish records for Chatham, Kent and found the christening for Jane and the marriage for her parents, John and Jane.  I looked 10 years either way and did not come up with Mary's christening record although the census gives Chatham as Mary and Jane's birthplace.  Didn't find Mary's marriage. Thanks for your interest.  Jackie

Offline carol_cholsey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 May 06 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie,
The 1851 census entry showing the two sisters (HO107/1548 f188), gives Mary's place of birth as Bromley, Kent, and her age as 42, so you'd be looking for a birth around 1808/9. Not much to go on, but may be worth widening your search for her parents in 1841 to include Bromley.
xx Carol

WINTON in Sussex & Kent; ALGER, ANTHONEY & MERCER in Rotherhithe, Surrey & Deptford, Kent; WHITBREAD in Shefford, Beds; KEELING in Yorks, Lincs & Leics; BLONK & SEASTRON in Sheffield, Yorks; BENNETT, MILLER, SUMMERS, BOSSLEY, WOULDHAM & SHOVLAR in Gravesend, Kent

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cleoparies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 01:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol:  My notes are in Olds and I am in Denver so I messed up.  Yes, I did know that Mary was born in Bromley.  I brought in the film for Bromley and found no record of Mary or of Mary and Jane's parents.  They must have moved again. Good idea, if anyone has time to look at the 1841 census for Bromley, I would appreciate it.  Her parents were  John and Jane (Denton)Baker.   They were married on 14 Oct 1805 in Chatham, Kent.  Jane Denton was born 25 Dec. 1781. Thanks again, Jackie