Author Topic: Orr family from Lurgan  (Read 18836 times)

Offline Sunnyhill

• RootsChat Member
  • From Dunmurry
    • View Profile
Re: Orr family from Lurgan
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen, I just got the wedding cert for my Elizabeth Fryer m Robert Orr 12 May 1939, Christ Church Church of Ireland, Lisburn. His address was 69 Byron St., Belfast, hers 9 Victory Street, Lisburn. He was a painter, his father George, labourer.

Witnesses William James Foye and Muriel Fryer, sister of Elizabeth. Muriel I had marrying Jim Foy - probably same person as William James Foye.
Co. Armagh: Castles/Cassells, Turkington, McBride, Hanna, Boston, Abraham, Geddis, Gilkinson, Humphries, McCormick, Corner, Serplus
Co. Antrim: Cassells, Hayes, Campbell, Saulters, Abernethy, Crooks, Fryer, Stead, Cooper, Gardner, Montgomery, Hill, McCartney, McKeown, Sterrit, McIntyre, Orr
Co. Down: Hayes, Campbell, Nelson, Skelly, Pickering, Dixon, Taylor, Lowry, Gourley, Stewart
Co. Mayo: Layng, Fulton, Ruxton
Co. Kerry: Nash
Co. Dublin: Ruxton, Layng, Kelly, Wilson, Shea, Askin
Galway: Abbot

Offline Sunnyhill

• RootsChat Member
  • From Dunmurry
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 13:05 BST (UK) »
My grandparents were James Orr and Margaret Foye. They married in Lurgan on 23 July 1919 and one of the witnesses was GEORGE ORR.  Does anyone know anything about him?  My mother cannot recall an uncle George but he must be related in some way.

Hi, the birth record for my Robert Orr has his birth place as 67 Byron Street Belfast, though his father George [a labourer] was at 35 Byron Street. George's wife was Minnie Weekey
Co. Armagh: Castles/Cassells, Turkington, McBride, Hanna, Boston, Abraham, Geddis, Gilkinson, Humphries, McCormick, Corner, Serplus
Co. Antrim: Cassells, Hayes, Campbell, Saulters, Abernethy, Crooks, Fryer, Stead, Cooper, Gardner, Montgomery, Hill, McCartney, McKeown, Sterrit, McIntyre, Orr
Co. Down: Hayes, Campbell, Nelson, Skelly, Pickering, Dixon, Taylor, Lowry, Gourley, Stewart

Offline Sunnyhill

• RootsChat Member
  • From Dunmurry
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 13:44 BST (UK) »
George Orr m Minnie Weekey 24 July 1915 in St. Silas C of I, Belfast. His father was Robert Orr, occupation of both Red Leader. George's address was 69 Byron Street, Belfast. Minnie's father was William James Weekey. Witnesses Thomas and Bella Andrews

In the 1911 census there is an 18yo George Orr with father Robert at 46.1 in Leopold Street  (Shankill, Antrim)

There is a George Orr b 12 Aug 1892, address 16 Byron Place, Belfast, father Robert and mother Jane Birney

Offline karbarm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 14:13 BST (UK) »
That was a quick reply! But it is the James and Elizabeth Orr from Lurgan that I think are Mary Jane's parents. The letter was written in 1859 when Mary Jane Orr would have been about 23/24. There was reference that maybe James snr married twice.....but which James was this.?  I have the census for 1911 when there is a James Orr (Shoemaker) married to a Lizzie, and they have a son James age 27 and a dau Lizzie age 29. James is age 71 therefore born about 1840....if i have the correct family he would be a brother to Mary Jane...and the Elizabeth and James would be their parents. So two generations of james married to an Elizabeth...they dont make this Familytree researching easy for us do they.!
So is your Robert Orr, that you have the marriage lines for, a descendant from this family ???
Maybe we will have to do a DNA to find if we have a match ...lol.I think the younger generation would say.
Karen

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 15:23 BST (UK) »
A local Lurgan genealogy website which may help  www.lurganancestry.com
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Sunnyhill

• RootsChat Member
  • From Dunmurry
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 15:32 BST (UK) »
Looks like mine originated from Co. Down

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 19:11 BST (UK) »
I have this family as James Orr and Elizabeth Black with children Isabelle b 9-23-1835, John b 9-27-1832,  bapt Dec 11 year 1832 or 1833- not clear from lst listing- Robert b May 13, 1842, Ellen b Oct 10, 1851.  Isabelle married Joseph Adams b 1834 father Wm in 1852 at Lurgan First Presby. James was a shoemaker.   Isabelle's witness was James McCleary whose family I was interested in. Isabelle was underage at 16.  It looks like at least 3  sets of bapt records were kept and some names are duplicated, though I suppose some were lost.

Of possible interest:

John Orr of Tegnavin who married Mary Ingram went to the same church and John had Moses bapt June 26, 1831. George Jan 7, 1835

Also at the same church was James Orr and Margaret Gaddis who had a child with no information given March 1863? He was a warper who lived on Mary W?  in Lurgan. Other kids- Eliza Jane in 1866, Thomas 1858, David henry 1860.   Apparently his father is Thomas and hers is Henry and the marriage was in Moira, registered in Lurgan in 1857.  I did not see  child Ann b 1867.  No idea if this family is related either. James may be the warper who died 1894 @57.

Offline karbarm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 22 June 18 10:17 BST (UK) »
James and Elizabeth Orr, dau Mary Jane went to South Australia in 1855.
The letter that was written by her parents mentions that she travelled with William Sheals and his wife Rose and sister in law Mary Blaney,from Lurgan, who I can find no trace of in South Australia, so no leads there. Do these names mean anything to those chasing ancestors from Lurgan