Author Topic: Blocked Cookies  (Read 70874 times)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Blocked Cookies
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 22:38 GMT (UK) »
This is on the Firefox support site

1.  In IE, "File -> Import and Export -> Export Cookies".
   2. Open newly exported "cookies.txt" in a text editor and put a period before every line that starts with a domain. So a line starting with "altavista.com TRUE / FALSE 1388491200 AV_ALL 1" will become ".altavista.com TRUE / FALSE 1388491200 AV_ALL 1"
   3. Then, move the "cookies.txt" file to your profile folder.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 22:50 GMT (UK) »
The main support site for Firefox and cookies is at
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Cookies

from that it would appear that Firefox and IE stoe their cookies in completely different places which makes the behaviour of yours even stranger ... still the page may give some further insights.

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 23:07 GMT (UK) »
I've had a look at the page quoted - it doesn't seem to match my system in any way at all....

I have folders as described, but no .slt file as they say.

I can't believe that IE and Firefox actually store cookies in different places - my experience is quite repeatable and gives me RootsChat access in Firefox only after IE has accessed it.

Perhaps this is a 'sign' that I should be spending less time on RootsChat and more time working.....  ::) If this problem continues I shall give RootsChat a break for a while - life's too short  ;D

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'm hanging in there ....

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 18 January 06 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Having just had some problems with cookies myself, and been searching  around my hard disk,

I can categorically state that IE and Firefox do store their cookies in different places !!

(Not only that, but IE stores each cookie individually as a file, whereas Firefox merges them all into one text file !!)

Which means that if I say in Firefox "delete cookies", then the IE cookies are still there, and vice versa.

Which means that if I log on to RootsChat in Firefox and then start IE and go to RootsChat it tells me I am not logged in, and vice versa.

Just for fun, the next time I have a bit of time to spare (??) I will load Netscape and Opera and see what happens there.

(I need to load other browsers anyway, because if you have a website, you need to test in as many browsers as possible - after all, you don't know what the "customer" is using !!)

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 18 January 06 08:31 GMT (UK) »
You're quite right Bob, as usual  ;D

I just looked at cookies within Firefox Tools and they do look quite different from IE.

However, when I opened RootsChat this morning, I was back to being a guest again so I decided not to do what I did before (I know it shouldn't work as IE and Firefox have different cookies, but it DID, honestly. As a developer myself I know just how implausible that sounds coming from a user so I don't really blame anyone if they don't believe it  :'()

I went into the Firefox Cookies list and deleted the Rootschat one, closed the browser, reopened it and got back into RootsChat fine. It will be interesting to see how long things last and whether I have to do this every few hours as before......

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 18 January 06 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Angela,

Next time you are shown as a guest, if you try
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/cookie.php again and see what it says.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 18 January 06 09:38 GMT (UK) »
As an aside, I can repeat this error if I set the date on the computer to 2030, then open up Firefox, because by then the cookie has 'expired'
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 18 January 06 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Trystan

I'll do that! Mind you, given the way these things work, it may not happen again now people are watching it  ::)

Thanks everybody for their input on this one - at least I've learned more about both how cookies actually work and also more about Firefox than I knew before....

Angela

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 18 January 06 23:45 GMT (UK) »
OK folks, it happened again - fired up Rootschat, got the Guest login, errored if I tried to login as me.

I've copied the contents of the Cookies in a PM to Trystan, deleted them, closed the browser, reopened, fired up Rootschat, come up as Guest, successfully logged in.

At least I can reliably get in, but why is it dumping me every few hours? Prior to this week it dumped me once the previous week and I've had no problems at all in all the months prior to that. My virus and spyware checks are up to date and I'm completely flummoxed  ::)

Going to bed now - bet I'll have to do it all again in the morning......

Has anyone had any inspiration?

Angela