Author Topic: Blocked Cookies  (Read 70851 times)

Offline Andi R

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Neither by chance nor fate"
    • View Profile
Re: Blocked Cookies
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 January 06 15:08 GMT (UK) »
On a similar subject Trystan, can you help with this:  I decided to clear up a lot of my files inc cookies, as your aware you can't tell which is what, so I (I knew that I'd have to redo all my passwords etc) just thought to hell just delete the lot no problem, I've redone all my passwords

Anyway I have been on to all my sites in the favorites and now have the cookies I want  -------------  if I save a copy in a different file will I be able to at some time later delete all superflous cookies and replace with the ones I have copied, it would save a lot of time

Andrew
Co Durham_and_Roxburgh_Rutherford
Hampshire_Nichols
Durham_Wilkinson
Roxburgh_Burns_Pringle
Northumberland/Durham_Thompson_Rutherford
Cumberland_Nichols_(Holliday_Jackson-Flimby_area)
Whitehaven_Swainson
Whitehaven_Dobbins_Nulty

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 January 06 17:50 GMT (UK) »
A useful utility for clearing out the garbage is a program called "Ccleaner" ... one of its tricks is that you can tell it what cookies you want to keep and it will clear out the rest for you when you run a sweep.

Ccleaner is freeware and available to download from http://www.ccleaner.com/
CCleaner is a freeware system optimization and privacy tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. But the best part is that it's fast (normally taking less that a second to run) and contains NO Spyware or Adware! :)

If any user is uncertain about using any utility which could potentially change their system please do not use them.

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trystan and all technical people,

I had a problem last week of suddenly not being able to log in (after a long and uninterrupted relationship with RootsChat which automatically logs me in so I don't have to think about it :) )

I had an exchange of emails with Trystan, since I couldn't log in to post a question, and finally got back in after manually deleting what appeared to be an old cookie.

Now it happened again this morning, so I carefully checked what I needed to do to clear it and I'd really appreciate anyone who can make sense of it for me  ;D

I normally use Firefox as my browser which works brilliantly for me (now I've loaded all the add-ins I need like DJVU etc) I've double checked it and it allows cookies, or at least it says it does BUT I deleted the Rootschat cookie manually as before and still Rootschat couldn't log me in. Then I used IE, logged in, closed IE, reopened Firefox and was away again, as you can see, since I'm typing this.

So what I'm asking is this - why was Firefox unable to save the Rootschat cookie when IE obviously could? (The option 'Allow sites to set cookies' is checked in Firefox)

I've just seen a similar posting of newbie's to do with the the family relatives site that might or might not be a sympton of the same thing......

Any ideas anyone? I don't really want to keep IE on my desktop purely in order to set cookies for a few sites - Firefox seems to be saving them for some sites but not others?

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 11:32 GMT (UK) »
check your settings

1. under tools options cookies and make sure that the option "unless I have removed the cookie" is not set

2. check the settings under cache and make sure it is not set to remove your cookies when you exit Firefox.

3. go to exceptions (under cookies) and type in Rootschat address and click on allow.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 11:33 GMT (UK) »
cookies 3

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Falkyrn

Thanks for spending time on this for me  ;D

The depressing bit is that what you describe is what I always had (and still have) in my settings. It isn't making any sense.......   :'(

Thanks again

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Falkyrn

Slight amendment to what I said above - I'm using Windows2000 and my Firefox Options doesn't have the number of cookie clearing options your screen snapshots show.

However, what I do have is in line with your description  ;)

Thanks again

Angela

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 12:37 GMT (UK) »
The third option is not found under cookies but is found under cache settings ... it should be there regardless of the operating system as firefox is pretty standard across the different operating systems.

Another possible villain is if you have a firewall running ..... some of them hve privacy settings which also control cookies it may be worthwhile checking that if you have one installed. (if you don't and have broadband, I would recommend that you get one)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Oops  :-[  ..... I should have asked What version of Firefox are you running ?