Author Topic: The Rossiter Family  (Read 21964 times)

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "The truth is out there",Special Agent Fox Mulder
    • View Profile
The Rossiter Family
« on: Friday 06 February 04 20:36 GMT (UK) »
I'm researching the Rossiter family tree and am searching for information on Frederick Rossiter born in 1857 at Great Elm, Somerset. The 1881 census record him and his wife Sarah and daughter Emily as living at 19 Belle Vue Road,Brislington. I'm also trying to find his wife's full maiden name so that I can research further. If anyone has access to later censuses I'dbe grateful for any information you find please.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching Rossiter, Finn, Wright, Vaughan, Bloor, Acton, Clay, Moorhouse, Foxall, Hart, Knott and many other families

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
Re:The Rossiter Family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 February 04 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

In our census forum we have a thread where some generous people are doing lookups on the 1891 census.  If you have not already, reply in that topic with these details and they will look them up for you,

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Chris in 1066Land

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Forever Searching, Forever Learning"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 February 04 21:37 GMT (UK) »

Hi rcuser

"I'm researching the Rossiter family tree and am searching for information on Frederick Rossiter born in 1857 at Great Elm, Somerset. The 1881 census record him and his wife Sarah and daughter Emily as living at 19 Belle Vue Road,Brislington. I'm also trying to find his wife's full maiden name so that I can research further. If anyone has access to later censuses I'dbe grateful for any information you find please."

Just had a look in the 1891 census for you Rossiter Family – there are 18 Frederick Rossitor’s, but none are aged 34 as yours would be.  
There is a 35 year old Frederick who comes from Somerset, but his wife is not called Sarah and he does not have a daughter Emily.
Looked through the Emily’s – there are 33 of them, picked out those that were over 10 (if she was on the 1881, she must be over 10) there was 9 of them and looked to see if any had a mum named Sarah (In case Frederick had died) – but again no luck.

So sorry, can not find them at present – Do you have any further info

Chris in 1066Land (Hastings)
One of Rootschats Founder Members RIP 1942-2021
Living at the Heart of English History in 1066Land. 
www.Rootschat.com/history/hastings

Swarbrooke Family Heritage
https://swarbrooke.co.uk

Own Ancestral Website:    http://maythornemill.webs.com                                          
Monumental Sculptures Website:    http://Tombstones.webs.com

Local History Site: http://zouch.webs.com
Baldslow Local History site
http://web.archive.org/web/20140626153455/http://www

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 February 04 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Chris. Emily Rossiter was born in Brislington in 1880 and her sister Ethel E. Rossiter was born in 1879. There should also be Arthur Rossiter, Lewis Rossiter and Harry(possibly Henry) Rossiter,Edith Rossiter and a few others.

Hope this helps. Thanks again.

Researching Rossiter, Finn, Wright, Vaughan, Bloor, Acton, Clay, Moorhouse, Foxall, Hart, Knott and many other families

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 February 04 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Just had an after-thought, Chris that Frederick may not have had his birthday at the time the census was taken and may be shown as being aged 33.

Offline Charmaine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: The Rossiter Family
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 August 04 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Do any of your Rossiter's come from East Pennard, Somerset, my husband's mother was a Rossiter, but they were all centred around the East Pennard area.

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 August 04 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Charmaine,

My family originates from the Frome area and I have traced my family back to Daniel Rossiter born about 1720 but still have a long way to go.

I am also compiling a file on the Rossiter family generally. I call it "Rossiter Snippets".
I gather pieces of information to do with the Rossiter family and try to link new snippets of information up with those that I have.

I think I already have some information about Rossiters from East Pennard but would be pleased to hear what info you have and would be pleased to share what I can find with you.

It is a massive family and is scattered all over the world. I look forward to hearing from you wit interest.

Offline Charmaine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 September 04 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hi recuser,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
Here are some names and dates for my Rossiter family,
Edward Rossiter b1811? East Pennard m Johanna ?b 1810 children....Elizabeth, James, Anna, George, William,Sarah, Mary, Ellen, Edward, Edith, Phillip, Stephen. 
son
Stephen Rossiter b1855? East Pennard married Henrietta Little b 1860 East Pennard? children....Walter, Frederick, John, Ivy.
son
Walter V T Rossiter b1884 East Pennard m Flora Alice Chamberlain b 1879 North Cadbury

Walter was my husbands grandfather.

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 September 04 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Charmaine,
Thanks for that. I have most of that info in my "Rossiter Snippets" file apart from the details about Stephen's children. I have another child listed Ernest E. Rossiter.Does that ring any bells?

I didn't have the info about Walter. Just checking, is the info at the end of your message about Stephen's son Walter?