Author Topic: The Rossiter Family  (Read 22001 times)

Offline Charmaine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: The Rossiter Family
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 September 04 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Recuser,

oops yes your right Stephen Rossiter did have a son Ernest E  b 1880? I missed him out because he wasn't with the family on the 1901 census, not sure where he was then.

I did mean Walter son of Stephen.....he was my husbands grandfather......and married a Flora Alice Chamberlain b North Cadbury, Somerset.

If you have any other info you think I would be interested in I'd be most grateful.

Thanks again.  Charmaine

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "The truth is out there",Special Agent Fox Mulder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 September 04 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Charmaine

Thanks for confirming the information about Walter.

Not sure why Ernest isn't there apart from the possibility that he married and moved away.I have him as being born in East Pennard.

It might help if you can get access to the 1891 Census,which might list him at his new address or possibly give a date of death. Another possibility to consider is emigration as several Rossiters went to the US, Canada, Ireland or Australia to name but a few.

By the way, do you have birth dates or birth years for Stephen's children. If so can you post them please so I can add that info to my database please?

Also,do you have any information about your great great grandmother's parentsas I like to follow up links to other families so I can help researchers from those families.

Any information greatly appreciated.Many thanks.

rcuser

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching Rossiter, Finn, Wright, Vaughan, Bloor, Acton, Clay, Moorhouse, Foxall, Hart, Knott and many other families

Offline Charmaine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 September 04 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Recuser,

The dates I have for Stephen Rossiters children are........
Ernest E  b 1880
Walter V T b25th Nov 1884 East Pennard d 5th July 1969
Frederick b 1886 East Pennard
John b 1874 East Pennard (believe he went to USA)
Ivy Eveline M   b 1894 East Pennard

Stephen Rossiter married Henrietta Little b 1859/60  Glastonbury, her father was Thomas Little mother ???

Stephen and Henrietta married at Shepton Mallet March 1879
On the 1881 census Stephen is down as age 30 which would have put his birth as 1850 not 1855 ??
Stephen died Jan 1926 at East Pennard.

Walter Vincent Thomas Rossiter married Flora Alice Chamberlain September 1901...........Flora Chamberlain's mother was called Eleanor ? b1845...........that's as much as I know, as I have lots of gaps to fill in.

Do you have any family names beyond Edward Rossiter  m Johanna ? (Stephen's parents) would appreciate any info.

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 September 04 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Charmaine,

Many thanks for all the dates.

I'm sorry to say that at the moment Edward and Johanna are the highest  point I have reached on this branch of the family.

However,I did find a record which lists Edward's birthplace as Shepton Mallet so we can both search for Rossiters born there in the hope that we can turn up his father.At a guess he will probably have the christian name of one of the Edward's children as they seem to have a habit of naming one of their children after their father.

I will keep searching and will post here if I find anything.

best wishes

rcuser

Researching Rossiter, Finn, Wright, Vaughan, Bloor, Acton, Clay, Moorhouse, Foxall, Hart, Knott and many other families

Offline JENNY47

• RootsChat Extra
  • puzzler@ntlworld.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 September 04 20:26 BST (UK) »
Can i jump in here please.
I am also researching the surname of Rossiter, My 3-x-great grand father was Stephen Rossiter born in 1782 Foxcote Somerset, he married Martha Tidcombe who was born 1789 Farmborough Somerset. They had 7 daughters.

Sarah 1812.
Maria 1814 my 2-x-great grandmother.
Anne 1817
Mary Ann 1820
Elizabeth 1823
Harriet 1823
Esther 1827.
Perhaps these will mean something to someone out their. if so then please get in touch.
Jenny

Rapps. Clutton,  High Littleton & Farm Borough.
Priddy High Littleton
Perry High Littleton & Farm Borough
Carter. High Littleton.
Tidcombe Farm Borough
Biggs Farmborough.
Evans. High Littleton
Burford. Corfe Trull & Pitminster
Holland. South Petherton
Stuckey. South Petherton.
Oaten. Pitminster.
Eastment. Hardington Mandeville.
Gibbons. Hardington Mandeville.
Gifford.South Petherton.
Rossiter. Foxcote.
Norris. Mere Wiltshire.
Priddle. East Lambrook.
Pursey.
Eglin. Odcombe.

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 September 04 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny47,

I do have Stephen and Martha in my Rossiter database but only had Harriet and Mary Ann Rossiter and no dates so thanks for posting that.

Harriet married a chap called Henry Tiley but I have no dates as to when or where.

Were all the children born in Foxcote? Records from that area are scarce as some may have been destroyed.

I'll use the info you have given and see if I can track the family tree any further.If I find anything I'll post it here.

best wishes

rcuser

Offline JENNY47

• RootsChat Extra
  • puzzler@ntlworld.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 12 September 04 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, it is so nice to know that there is someone else researching my family. I have been trying for the past 6months to trace a Diana Gibson who is related to Harriet Rossiter and Henry Tiley, i found  her in the archives at rootsweb mailing list. if you go into Bristol and somerset and then 1998 the second page you will find her. I have given you her e-mail address but it keeps bouncing.

MODERATORS NOTE:email address removed to avoid spamming. Please use personal message system to share email addresses

perhaps you will have better luck than i have had.

Stephen Rossiter's parenst are Stepehn Rossiter  1744-1792 & Mary Chambury 1752-1810. The parents of Stephen are William 1712-1759 & Susannah ? 1720-1751.

William parents are Benjamin 1680-1733 and Elizabeth (Betty) no details on her sorry.

Let me know if you would like more information. I do have list of children, and i have a contact who is related to Ruth Rossiter sister to Stephen (1744)

Regards
Jenny47. :)

Rapps. Clutton,  High Littleton & Farm Borough.
Priddy High Littleton
Perry High Littleton & Farm Borough
Carter. High Littleton.
Tidcombe Farm Borough
Biggs Farmborough.
Evans. High Littleton
Burford. Corfe Trull & Pitminster
Holland. South Petherton
Stuckey. South Petherton.
Oaten. Pitminster.
Eastment. Hardington Mandeville.
Gibbons. Hardington Mandeville.
Gifford.South Petherton.
Rossiter. Foxcote.
Norris. Mere Wiltshire.
Priddle. East Lambrook.
Pursey.
Eglin. Odcombe.

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 13 September 04 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny47,

I found another source of information about Henry and Harriet.When I've sorted out the information I'll get back to you and post it here.

I also use the Rootsweb archives and have a copy of the postings you refer to.

In the meantime, please feel free to post further information.Many thanks.

rcuser

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 September 04 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny47,

I found another source of information about Henry and Harriet.When I've sorted out the information I'll get back to you and post it here.

I also use the Rootsweb archives and have a copy of the postings you refer to.

In the meantime, please feel free to post further information.Many thanks.

rcuser

Henry and Harriet married in 1848.The 1861 Census records that by then they had four children..Elizabeth,William,Sarah & Henry Junior..no birth dates as yet. Henry Senior died in 1868 aged 43.

Will let you know more as I find the info.Hope this helps.