Author Topic: Master Hairdressers  (Read 75976 times)

Offline mhearn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Master Hairdressers
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 11:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this thread.  I've learn't alot more from this thread then I have by google when researching my family of hairdressers.  I have generations of Hairdressers in my family going back to the 1841 census. My gggg grandfather was listed as a hairdresser and that continues down most of the subsequent sons (grandfathers and uncles) until it reaches my grandad.  They were all hairdressers in London in Bethnal Green and Whitechapel.  The census has them living at Bethnal Green Road on the 1841 census through to the 1861 as hairdressers and some of the sons going to Great Yarmouth to be a hairdressers Assistants and boarding there.  The hairdresser theme continues after my grandad by my sister who is a hairdresser and I am a dog groomer (still use scissors.! lol) I would love to find out more infomation about them and what they actually did as part of their job. 

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 11:46 BST (UK) »
Wow this thread is fascinating. I too have a hairdresser ancestor, my ggg grandfather William Brumfitt (1815-1890). His marriage in 1835 states he was a hairdresser as does the 1841 census. By 1851 he was a Master hairdresser and Beer Seller. He owned a pub which he sold in 1879. He gave up his hair dressing business to enter politics and I found an exert about him in the following book which states he was a barber.

TRANSACTIONS OF THE HISTORIC SOCIETY OF LANCASHIRE AND CHESHIRE FOR THE YEAR 1955 VOLUME 107

POLITICS IN FAMINE-STRICKEN PRESTON AN EXAMINATION OF LIBERAL PARTY MANAGEMENT, 1861-65 BY H. A. TAYLOR, M.A. Read 15 September 1955

Page 124

William Brumfitt born in 1814 began as a barber in Old Hall Street, Liverpool, and gained through the conversation of his customers a remarkable grasp of political affairs, so much so that he gave up a good business in 1852 to become Liberal agent in Liverpool. Following the elections of the same year, he conducted petitions against the two Tory members returned and unseated them both. He retired in 1876 after twenty years as Liberal agent for Liverpool and South-West Lancashire, having made a name for himself in the registration courts opposite R. Bennett the Tory lawyer, but their protracted legal battles never impaired a deep personal friendship between them.

And his obituary:

Liverpool Mercury
15 April 1890

LOCAL NEWS
The late Mr W Brumfitt – After a lingering illness, Mr William Brumfitt, well known in Liverpool political circles for about a quarter of a century, died yesterday at his residence, Hatton-hill, Ford, in the 76th year of his age. Deceased was for more than 20 years the Liberal agent for Liverpool and South-west Lancashire, and on his retirement, a good many years ago, he was succeeded in office by Mr J McComb. Mr Brumfitt did good service during his official career to the Liberal party, and his work in the registration courts (when the late Mr R Bennett represented the Conservative interests) was of a highly valuable character in view of the important points which were then being almost continually raised. He deservedly had the confidence of the members of the political party whose interests were placed in his hands, and on his retirement a presentation was made to him, which emphasised the high esteem and confidence he had secured by able and faithful services. The interment takes place at Anfield Cemetery on Thursday afternoon.
Armitage, Atherton, Barton, Beck, Bradshaw, Brumfitt, Chetwin, Conalty, Connolly, Connor(s), Davidson, Hilton, Hoey, Johnson, Jones, Knight, Lester, McDonald, Molyneux, Morris, Pownall, Rushton, Spark, Stanley, Tunstall, Welsby, West, Wharton, Williams, Wilson, Windridge, Windstandley

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 10 June 17 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony1936TT  , welcome to RC  :)

If you wish to post please press the REPLY button not the Report to Moderator button.........

Yes, I have a Grandfather who is listed on 1901 census as a Master Hairdresser.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline carom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 24 September 17 14:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this thread. I also have a hairdresser ancestor, Barnabas Harris who seems to have worked in Salisbury from the late 1700's until about 1840. His place of work also seems to have been his home.
I found a short video online- "The hairdresser in history" by Dr Sean Williams, uni of Sheffield, which is quite interesting on the subject.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 24 September 17 16:15 BST (UK) »
My training was in London and I achieved Master Craftman status and  spent many years traveling the world competing for the UK (as well as running a business).

My mother also a Master craftsman, was trained by Raymond Bessone ( known as Teasy Weasy and  Britain's first celebrity hairdresser) he had a salon in Soho, he also trained people like Vidal Sassoon and I remember both of them very well as both along with their families spent time at our home over the years.

However there is no hairstylists prior to my mother in my ancestry, my mothers God mother was one as was her husband, so I think my mothers inspiration was from them.

The Hairdressers Journal was THE magazine which was/is a source of information for the industry, anyone who was/is anyone in the industry will be in that and it has been in print monthly for at least 100yrs so if you can find out where they are archived that will be a good sources
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Rosa Lynn

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 03 April 22 15:55 BST (UK) »
This is an interesting discussion. My ancestor was listed as a hairdresser on the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census in Pentonville, Middlesex. In 1841 his neibours are mainly in trade: tobacconist, news agent, confectioner & surgeon so sounds like a parade of shops. In 1851 he has moved to Hampstead high street so his neighbours are various trades so it sounds like it’s an hair dressing establishment. Two of his sons are listed as medical students and train as doctors, this seems quite a leap socially for the time.

Offline Terrawitch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Be kind to the environment
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 14 August 22 22:42 BST (UK) »
What a fabulous discussion & over so many years too.

I too have an ancestor whose trade was listed as Hairdresser on his Convict records, even though at the time of his trial & conviction (1842) he was employed (12months) as a London City Policeman (gotta love characters in the family tree 😀). He was transported to Tasmania for 15 years but he was given an early Conditional pardon for good behaviour & released in 1851.
He managed to organise passage for his wife and 12yo son out to Australia. They then had another child a year later. On the baby girls birth (& 3weeks later, her death) certificate, his occupation was again Hairdresser. (Sadly his wife also died the day after the child's birth. 😢)
Morris, Stevenson, Kinloch (Kinlock), Callander, Southern, Gillespie, Perriman, Shepherdson, Godwin, Cawston, Sargent, Wedd, Norman, Bird, Merrifield, Pope, Craike,
Australia, England & Scotland

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 20 October 22 09:46 BST (UK) »
My 4x g-grandfather (George Clapham 1764-1810) was a hairdresser in Kirkgate in Leeds from probably about the 1780s until his death there in 1810. The trade directories list him as a hairdresser.

George's father Charles Clapham 1740-1799 was married twice and on his second marriage in 1773 it says he was a barber, although gave this up probably in the 1780s early 1790s to run a pub in Holbeck, where he died in 1799.

Would there be any records from back then about apprenticeships, etc.

Thanks
Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ResearchJu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 10 June 23 19:28 BST (UK) »
This is a follow-up to my previous post. First off an apology to the Guild of Hairdressers who had indeed replied to me by email but I had failed to see it!! (Must have had a "senior moment"). It seems that the Guild of Hairdressers was established in 1892 but most of the early records were lost in a flood. The records they do have are mostly 20th C.

From the Barber Surgeons Co. I have received a list of suggested reading on the subject of barbers and hairdressers. Here it is for the benefit of other researchers:

The Barber's Shop by  R W Procter (London 1883)

At the Sign of the Barber's Pole by William Andrews (Cottingham 1904)

An Illustrated Dictionary of Hairdressing and Wigmaking by J Stevens Cox (London 1966)

A Nineteenth Century Barber's Shop by Stephanie Jones in 'Business Archives' Magazine, November 1988

Old Occupations: Peruque Makers by Barbara Given in Family Tree Magazine, January 1997.

The Guild of Hairdressers: a hundred years of hairdressing by S Henson in 'The Guild Hairdresser' Vol 1 no 1 (1982?)

Chirp

Have just found this very interesting thread.  Just wondering if anyone knows where to go for the Guild of Hairdressers records from the 20th Century?  My Great Grandfather was brought up in a Pauper School but was apprenticed to Mr Wilhelm George Zucker in 1882.  I have a copy of his indenture.  He then ran his own Hairdresser's shop in 1 Clinton Road, Mile End Old Town and was a Master Hairdresser for around 18 years.  Sadly in 1907 (maybe due to the Hairdressers Closure Act) he became melancholy and spent the rest of his life in the Asylum  :'(