Author Topic: COMPLETED  (Read 2235 times)

Offline deetur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
COMPLETED
« on: Monday 08 May 06 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Am really struggling to find any info on the following person.  His name is Joseph Twigg-Balmer.  I do not know where or when he was born, but here's the info I do have.

My great-grandmother Elizabeth Dunsdon (born c 1885, Steventon, Berks) married Victor Weeden (c 1892, Ramsgate, Kent, England) in December 1912 in Thanet.  They had a daughter Margaret M Weeden, born c 1912, Thanet and also a son Anthony Claude Weeden, born c 28 December 1915, St Pancras.

I do not know what happened to Victor as I am yet to find a death.

I then believe she married a man called Joseph Twigg-Balmer.  I know that they had my grandmother Kathleen Betty Twigg-Balmer (I have her birth cert, and although Elizabeth's maiden is down as Dunsdon, not Weeden she is named as Elizabeth Twigg-Balmer and Kathleen's father is down as Joseph Twigg-Balmer).  She was born on 23rd Jan 1919, 6 Fairmead Road.

Again, not sure when Joseph Twigg-Balmer died, but Elizabeth went on to marry Henry Thomas Brent (c1867, Bermondsey) on 24 January 1923 in Hackney.  I understand that Henry was friends with Joseph and that he married Elizabeth to take her of her once Joseph had died.  Henry also adopted Anthony Claude Weeden and Kathleen Betty Twigg-Balmer, so they became Brents.

Here's the info from Kathleen's birth cert:

Father's occupation - mining engineer, of West lodge, Barnsbury Square, Islington

I cannot find any info on the Twigg-Balmers.  I know it doesn't help as I don't know much about Joseph, but any info that people can help me with would be greatly appreciated.

Any advice on what to do next or where to and what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Danni  ???
Mason (Worcestershire, Hereford & Glamorgan), Turner (London), Bodell (Shoreditch, London), Gilley (London), Pengilley (Devon), Brent (London), Bishop, Dunsdon/Dunsden (Berks & Canada), Grimes (London), Denton (Berks), Ives (London), Bedwell (Berks), Hailey, Jenkinson, Lay, Malone (London & Ireland), Parry (Herefordshire), Sydes

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
Re: Struggling to find info on great grandfather
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 May 06 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Danni

I should start by trying to find Joseph and Elizabeth's marriage entry in the GRO Index.  This evidently took place between 1915 and 1919.  A copy of their marriage certificate should provide additional info such as the name and occupation of Joseph's father and (hopefully) Joseph's age.  You can then work out, roughly, when he was born.

I would also try to find Joseph's entry in the GRO deaths index.  He appears to have died between 1919 and 1923.  His entry should provide his age at death so, again, you can work out when he was born.

FreeBMD doesn't provide much coverage for this era, so you might want to investigate the GRO Indexes on the Ancestry website. I believe you can still access these free of charge.

Cheers
Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline deetur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 May 06 22:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I have had look for the marriage searching on both Elizabeth Dunsdon and Elizabeth Weeden and also anything that looked remotely like Joseph Twigg-Balmer (including Twigg and Balmer).

I also had a quick look deaths for Twigg-Balmer and again didin't have any joy.

I shall have another look as I may have overlooked a name....

Thanks,
Danni
Mason (Worcestershire, Hereford & Glamorgan), Turner (London), Bodell (Shoreditch, London), Gilley (London), Pengilley (Devon), Brent (London), Bishop, Dunsdon/Dunsden (Berks & Canada), Grimes (London), Denton (Berks), Ives (London), Bedwell (Berks), Hailey, Jenkinson, Lay, Malone (London & Ireland), Parry (Herefordshire), Sydes

Offline jnblx69

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 December 06 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Your Great Grandmother Elizabeth Dunsdon born Oct 1884 in Steventon, Berkshire was the daughter of James Dunsdon and Elizabeth (maiden name Bedwell ) born 28th April 1830 and died 22nd Oct 1884 presumably giving birth to your great grandmother.   
Your Great Great Grandparents James & Elizabeth also had 11 other children - George, Charles, Martha Patty, Anne, Henry, Joseph, Joseph Henry, Walter, Henry James, Jeremiah Frank and Jesse William
I trust this is of interest
JB

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 December 06 06:16 GMT (UK) »
Interesting fact: at 6 Fairmead Road, in 1914 and 1915 London directories, was Mrs Louisa Watts, midwife - I wonder if she was still there in 1919 and that's why Kathleen was born there?

I also come up with one possible marriage - 1893 Agnes Ann Balmer to James Henry Twigg, they appear to be in the 1901 census in Derby.  She was registered Mar 1872 quarter in Burton Staffordshire, it might be possible that she had a son before her marriage?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deetur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 February 07 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Have only just seen these 'new' replies!

Elizabeth's parents were Ellen Denton and George Dunsdon, but her grandparents were indeed James Dunsdon and Elizabeth Bedwell.

Am currently trying to find (with some difficulty) whether either Agnes or James had a son before the marriage or shortly afterwards.

Thanks for the info - lets hope it turns out to be the family I'm looking for.

Thanks,
Danni