Author Topic: Arnold Family - Nelson NZ  (Read 3239 times)

Offline denysenz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Arnold Family - Nelson NZ
« on: Tuesday 09 May 06 00:42 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any info. on William Frederick Arnold , a seaman living in Nelson from about 1853 to 1900.He married catherine Prendergast there in 1860 and according to the Intentions to Marry had lived in Nelson for 7 years at that time.They had about 7 children, one of whom was my ggrandmother , Urana.She was born in 1868.They lived in Haven Rd.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arnold Family - Nelson NZ
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 May 06 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Denise

Just to enlarge & clarify, I see on other web posting of yours:
Catherine PFRENDERGAST, "wife of William Frederick ARNOLD arrived in Nelson on the "Martha" in 1859 from Ireland via Melbourne but cannot find any record of William ariving.  He is listed as a seaman up to 1891-92 living in Haven Rd Nelson but then disappears.  Catherine died in 1903 in Nelson"

I can see Catherine in the Nelson Cemetery database, she died age 63  and was Roman Catholic - on her death record how was her marital status recorded (widow etc) ?

What was William's (approx) Year of birth?
Do you know what kind of "Seaman" he was?  ie would he have likely been on ships that sailed out of NZ waters as late as 1891/92-1900? 
Could he have arrived in NZ as ships crew? I see he married Catherine 1860 after she had arrived in NZ 1859 via Melbourne - perhaps they met there?

Have you checked for the latest possible documented  mention of him - for example on marriages of his children where he may be described as living or deceased etc?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline bee29

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 May 06 22:51 BST (UK) »
You could try the Maritime Museum in case they have mention of him

http://www.nzmaritime.org.nz/home.html

http://nzmaritimeindex.org.nz/

Regards, Bronwen

Offline denysenz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 May 06 00:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.I have no idea what sort of seaman he was, that is his occupation in the Wises directory for the time.On his marriage cert.he is a mariner which I guess is the same thing.I have Catherine's death cert. but unfortunately her status is not given.His age is given as 23 on the marriage cert. and at the time had been living in Nelson 7 yrs.so must have arrived at about age 16, and making his DOB abt.1837.There are several seamen of the same name on ships coming from Vict. but the ages don't match up and I have no way of knowing if they are the same.i have since found Catherine was born in Tipperary

Offline Glenda46

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 May 06 09:10 BST (UK) »
John, James, E, I, Lewis and several W Arnolds in a book I have on the Pioneers of Waimea South here in Nelson.  6 pages of Arnold in fact 2 of whom are related to a branch of my family. The William mentioned seems to have been a storekeeper. Do you want me to give you other names dates etc lists all children etc
Glenda

Offline Glenda46

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 May 06 09:16 BST (UK) »
Just re read all the info above. The family I am looking at must be related. John came from Co Cork in Ireland. He went to Oz first for gold let me know what info you would like

Offline denysenz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 May 06 23:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your info. I have read the book on Waimea and know about the Arnold family that settled there.I am not sure if they were related to my William, but it would certainly help my research if I found they were.The children of William and Catherine that I know of were, Edmond,Johanna, and Urana who was born in 1868 but there were at least 4 others.There was an Emma Arnold also living in Haven Rd at the time  women got the vote so she could also have been a daughter.or even daughter in law.I am trying to find out where William arrived from,but any info would help.

Offline Glenda46

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 May 06 00:42 BST (UK) »
There are actually 3 ARNOLD'S in this book I have discovered all non related.

One of them tho does have this.

John Arnold 1840 - 1913 This John was a son of William Arnold and Nora nee Burt from County Cork.

He married a Johanne Reardon. He had chd William John Charles MaryAnn Johanna Elizabeth CeceliaMary ImeldaConstance ElllenEmily and Frank the girls names together means the second name is middle name just so you don't think it is another child. Maybe this guy had a brother William?? Have you been in touch with Ian ARNOLD - presuming he is still with us who supplied the info for the book? That's it sorry.

Offline denysenz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 May 06 05:54 BST (UK) »
thanks for that.it does sound like a possibility.Is the book "From Range to River"