Author Topic: Where is Princes End? (Tipton area?)  (Read 9815 times)

Offline Sandy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Where is Princes End? (Tipton area?)
« on: Tuesday 09 May 06 20:57 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone would be able to tell me where Princes End is.

I have a marriage certificate for a George Percival and Mary Ann Hampton on 4th March 1888.

George was resident at Princes End at the time of the marriage and Mary Ann was at 3 Church Lane.

The marriage was at St Martin's Church, Tipton

Was Princes End a road or street or was it an area of Tipton?

On the 1891 census George is listed as being born at Princes End so I am thinking it is a place rather than a street/road name but any suggestions would be welcome.

Many thanks

Sandy
Tschoeltsch (or Tscholtsch), Krischke from Prussia/Germany
Hampton, Parkes, Tromans from Tipton, Coseley, Woodsetton in Staffordshire.

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Princes End? (Tipton area?)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 21:12 BST (UK) »
Princes End: Located on the A4037 between Tipton and Wednesbury. Famous for the Tilted Barrel pub, a 19th century watering hole which is very tilted due to mining subsidence. The area also includes Tipton Academy sports stadium and an Asda superstore. Another local milestone is the Gospel Oak pub, known locally as Mother Shipton's because of a former landlady. Princes End Primary School was built in 1914 and stands in Tibbington Terrace.
if you google princes end tipton, lots of info there, kali.
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.

Offline Sandy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 21:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks kali for that.

I like the sound of the Tilted Barrel pub (I'm feeling a bit "tilted" meself just now!!) - anyone got any pictures to send to me please?

Sandy

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 22:26 BST (UK) »
1863 - 1890:1895 - 1916

Princes End station opened under the LNWR in 1863 and was the second station to serve Princes End, the first being the then-named 'Princes End Station' - later to be renamed Princes End & Coseley to avoid confusion - on the West Midlands Railway/GWR line some mile or so away. The life of the station was short lived and closed in 1890 only to re-emerge in 1895, finally closing in 1916. Nearly one hundred years on there are still some good signs of the old line as it continued to operate into the 1980s, long after the passenger station had closed. Above we see the walkway that follows the trackbed today with the station site to our left off Upper Church Lane, October 2003. sorry there is a picture but it did not come out.

KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.

Offline Sandy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 22:38 BST (UK) »
Wow kali are you a railway buff?!

My dad worked on the railway - was a steam engine driver before he retired.
I notice from your message that you are researching ancestors from Prussia. Where abouts in Prussia? My mother's family are from Breslau.

Thanks for your info

Sandy

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 22:50 BST (UK) »
sandy i am far from being a railway buff,
  i was a railway train driver for 43 years but now retired (thank god) i did enjoy it but after privatization it was all about making money and i decided to get out.
anyway my family (kuhnell) travelled quite a lot but spent time in:-
culm, fortress graudenz, baldenburg, niesse, and other places in prussia and germany, but not breslau im afraid, sorry the pic of church lane never came out!

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 23:39 BST (UK) »
http://uk-transcriptions.accessgenealogy.com/St.Andrew's,Netherton.htm

you could try this link not sure if it's any good for you?

Offline Sandy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 May 06 07:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the link kali.

I don't think the Hampton's from Netherton are linked to mine from Tipton (not as yet anyway) but I will keep the link for future reference, there is alot of information on there and very interesting.

As a matter of interest - on the marriage certificate I have for George Percival and Mary Annn Hampton, I wonder why he didn't state his actual address rather than the area he was from - didn't it really matter then what was recorded?

Sandy

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 May 06 10:48 BST (UK) »
on the wedding certificate it usualy says '' where resident at the time'' so i supose you could put place or address? did anyone actualy check them closely? but it would help to find george i have found plenty but not able to connect them yet, i did post the link for your future ref, hope it does come in handy one day, kali.