Author Topic: James Guthrie of Allanton, 1789-1843  (Read 8775 times)

Offline Martin Guthrie

• RootsChat Extra
  • "I stand for truth"
    • View Profile
James Guthrie of Allanton, 1789-1843
« on: Wednesday 10 May 06 00:53 BST (UK) »
I'm looking to find any information on the siblings or parents of the above James Guthrie.  He married a Mary Conochie of Carron, Larbet in 1811 in Glasgow but they returned to his father's house in Allanton for the birth of their 1st two children (Elizabeth, 1812 and James, 1813) whilst James was serving in the 25th Regiment (in Berwick?).  They had a further 6 children (Thomas, 1816-18; Ralph, 1817-18; William, 1819-29; Ann, 1821; John, 1823-77; and Mary, 1825-27) mostly born in Glasgow.

Any help much appreciated as I appear to have hit a wall!

Thanks,
Martin Guthrie
Auger, Brechin, Comley, Dawson, Guthrie, Hanks, Paterson, Phillips, and Wolfe

Offline emjay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: James Guthrie of Allanton, 1789-1843
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 May 06 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin,

The 25th Regiment of Foot was in Berwick the dates you mention, and became the King's Own Scottish Borderers. There is a short history at http://www.army.mod.uk/kosb/history.htm and they have their own website at www.kosb.co.uk

Elizabeth Guthrie was baptised at the Golden Square Presbyterian Church the entry being:-

28 June 1812. Elizabeth daughter of James Guthrie, a Private Soldier in the 25th Regiment of Foot, & Mary Connichie his wife. Born at Allanton, Edrom Parish, 9th June 1812.

I can't find any further entries for the family.

Regards,

Myra
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Martin Guthrie

• RootsChat Extra
  • "I stand for truth"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 May 06 00:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the links and the christening info Myra - all useful.  I guess I might get something from the military records - I'll give it a shot.  Still no closer finding a name for James's father unfortunately...

Thanks,
Martin

Offline boswells

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 June 06 15:45 BST (UK) »
Would it help you to know that there are still Guthries living in Allanton where they would have been for, at least the greater part of the last century.  They were builders and joiners.
Boswells
Mitchell, Stodart/Stothart, Armstrong, Porteous (Dumfriesshire), Taylor, Lindsay, Auld, (Ayrshire)

Offline Martin Guthrie

• RootsChat Extra
  • "I stand for truth"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 January 08 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Boswells,

Sorry for the long delay getting back to you (Ahem!).  Yes, I'd heard that there were still Guthries in Allanton.  I've been meaning to try and track down names and addresses for them and then send them each a letter on the off-chance that they might a) be interested, and b) be related.

Thanks,
Martin

Offline Tait

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 20:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin

The Guthries were in Allanton and as well as being joiners they were also undertakers. They would have been buried in Edrom or Hutton. In Hutton I found an inscription - By George Guthrie, Allanton children: Thomas 23.5.1838 9yrs. Ralph 28.9.38 1yr. Isabella 28.4.--- 8yrs. George Guthrie 9.12.1851 56yrs. wife Elizabeth Struthers 23.8.55 52yrs. son George 21.2.1857 20yrs.

Another stone there has Joseph Guthrie, merchant Allanton 9.9.1852 53yrs.

the 1837 Directory has Joseph Guthrie of Allanton - grocer and George Guthrie, tailor. Allanton was noted for having lots of tailors. In Duns there was a George Guthrie a cabinet maker.

Hope this helps and doesn't just cloud the issue. Good searching.

Betty

Offline Martin Guthrie

• RootsChat Extra
  • "I stand for truth"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 September 08 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Betty - thanks for the info.

I had a good look around Edrom the last time I was there to no avail but yes, I'm fairly sure that they buried themselves in Hutton.

The problem I have is that the relative I have in Allanton was one James Guthrie.  I know that his father was from Allanton also but I haven't been able to find his name.  And James moved to Glasgow with his wife and all his children were born there... Sigh.

Thanks,
Martin

Offline Maggie 52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 19:10 BST (UK) »
Has anyone researching relatives in Allanton come across any reference to Alexander Spence b. 1803 Allanton, d 1855 Paxton, Berwicks (parents Alexander b. 1779 Duns, d 1856 Hutton,and Christian Bell-nothing found neither birth, marriage nor death details for her). Just wondered whether there were other Spences or Bells living locally.

Offline Tg1tg2tg3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Tennant 1768-? - 25th Foot Regiment 1789
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 March 13 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I'm trying to discover where my ancestor, William Tennant was born.  His Chelsea Pension record gave me a surprise as I believed this family to be inherently Scots bred.  The record states he was born in "Abbey, Suffolk" however, after exhaustive enquiries, no such place exists.  William was born 1768 and signed up with the 25th Foot Regiment in 1789 whom he was with for 26 years, throughout various regiments.  My question is, which might help, "Where were the 25th Foot Battalion stationed in 1789?"  Where would he have signed up?  The Chelsea Pension record says William was illiterate, so would not have known what was written.  He married Jean McAllum in Stirling in 1803 and then was stationed in the Orkney's from 1809 as his first 3 children were born there, and then he returned back to Stirling where my ancestor was born in 1815.  Can anyone help please?  Thank you for your time.
Trish.