Author Topic: Odd IGI record - can you help?  (Read 807 times)

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Odd IGI record - can you help?
« on: Monday 18 October 04 16:47 BST (UK) »
Am searching for an elusive ggg grandfather called John Maltby. There are a number of possibles in IGI, but one record is confusing me. It says John MALTBY, son of Richard WARDLE & Elizabeth. What could this mean?

Of course I know that the record could be a mistake and the son could be John WARDLE or the father Richard MALTBY or possibly other variations. I also know that in my own parish in the mid 18th Century, it was normal to include the father's name on the baptismal record, even if he was not married to the mother. Perhaps this is the case? He could also have been adopted or been a ward (is there a difference?).

Are there any other obvious possibilities? I've got two or three other records that make sense, but all I know is that his wife was Esther, they had a girl Charlotte in 1821 and John was dead by 1840 when his daughter married. Not a lot to go on, but I live in hope.

Thanks
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Odd IGI record - can you help?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 October 04 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick,

Could it be that Maltby was his middle name, i.e. John Maltby Wardle?   It was quite common for children to be given their mother's maiden name as a christian name, particularly if the child was illegitimate.

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: Odd IGI record - can you help?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 October 04 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hiya Nick,

I would say there are three options.

1.  As Jill says Maltby is a middle name - if this is the case it could be his maternal grandmother's maiden name.

2.  Born out of wedlock and both parents named - I see that quite a lot an example, "Helen natural daughter to James Scott and Margaret Ker in Hows" though this one doesn't give the surname of Helen - some took the father's some the mother's maybe relate to the father disputing?

3.  Keying error on IGI.

All possibilities would be helped by seeing the original record.

I just did a search on IGI for Maltby as a first name 113 hits - a lot of multiple submissions though so it could also be a middle name based on a forename?

Y'need to see the original.

Cheers,
Pam
 ;D

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!