Author Topic: 1861 census, Leeds: CARTER, HARGREAVES et al.  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alice Baldwin Yarborough circa 1920
    • View Profile
1861 census, Leeds: CARTER, HARGREAVES et al.
« on: Monday 18 October 04 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Fitty,

Being currently stumped on my Boyles in 1841, I noticed your kind offer for 1861, and the fact that you have a name index for Leeds.  So hopefully this request will be a lot easier for you.  Although I have a lot of names, three are from an older generation, and may not have been alive still in 1861.  Hope it's not too much to ask!

1. John and Rebecca Midwood.  They were living on High St. for an 1862 marriage of one of their children.
2. Charles and Elizabeth Greenwood.  They were living on Cornhill for the same 1862 marriage.
3. Thomas and Jane Carter
4. John and Ann Hargreaves.

And the old-timers:

1. George Carter (wife unknown), age about 65-70
2. John Yerbury - his children changed the surname first to Yarbury, then to Yarborough, so he may have too.
3. John and Mary Ann Swift, both aged about 60

If this is too much, please select whichever ones you like - anything would be a huge help!

Many thanks

Tim
Boyle, Butler, Yarborough, Baldwin, Midwood, McHale, Carter, Noble, Kay, Raper, Greenwood, Swift

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 census, Leeds: CARTER, HARGREAVES et al.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 October 04 19:30 BST (UK) »
I've quickly gone through the index,  Here are the ones i did'nt find.
No George Carter
Only one Charles N Greenwood and he's 13

No Swifts that match only a Mary and she's 48

No Yerbury, Yarbury or Yarborough.

There are a few Elizabeth Greenwoods thats i,m going to look for. I fiqured hubby might not be at home on Census night.  So bear with me on these.

There are 2 Jane Carter's that might be one of yours

there is only one Midwood family i'll give you the details anyway just incase they lead somewhere.

Brb
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 October 04 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Fitty,

Thanks so much.  The right Jane Carter was born around 1819-20 (she was a "minor" at her marriage in 1839).

Cheers

Tim
Boyle, Butler, Yarborough, Baldwin, Midwood, McHale, Carter, Noble, Kay, Raper, Greenwood, Swift

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 October 04 19:39 BST (UK) »
oops ... sorry ... I should also have mentioned that Elizabeth Greenwood (maiden name Ward) was full-age at her marriage in 1839, so probably born around 1817 or so, and therefore aged about 44 or thereabouts in 1861

Tim

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 October 04 20:07 BST (UK) »
Heres the Midwoods

---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 October 04 20:21 BST (UK) »
Have checked through all the possible Elizabeth Greenwoods on the CD but none that match your Elizabeth.  Sorry

Only two Jane Carters but both of them were married to someone else.

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 October 04 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Fitty,

Thanks for the Midwoods and for your efforts checking on the others.  Joseph Midwood is, I believe, a brother of my g-g-grandfather.

Is your name index a partial index for Leeds?  My direct Midwoods plus a large family of Yarbury/Yarborough were certainly hanging out in Leeds in 1861.  They can't all have been off at the seaside on census night!!  :D

Cheers

Tim

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 October 04 23:07 BST (UK) »
Your're right is only a partial index... if you can tie down some place name or areas i'll recheck the full census for you.