Author Topic: Fleury  (Read 21441 times)

Offline wrdsrus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fleury
« on: Thursday 11 May 06 05:02 BST (UK) »
Hi.  I am new to this board, and trying to find my way around.  I am searching for my Irish ancestry with no clues.  I have located my ancestors in the 1870 and 1880 census.  They indicated they were from Ireland.  The names I am trying to trace are Robert D Fleury (B-1833 in Ireland D-1875 in NY)and Isabella Fleury (B-1837 Ireland, D-unknown, but 1901 or later).  I would like to try to find local records in Brooklyn if possible...I have exausted all the info on ancestry.com.  With no clues to start, I am wondering of anyone knows what areas in Ireland Fleury family's might have settled?  I am reasonably sure they were Huguenots, as they later became members of the Episcopal church in NY (St Thomas' Church, Brooklyn, NY) If anyone knows where I can find someone to look up local brooklyn records, or regions Fleury's settled in Ireland, please let me know.  Thank you.  Joyce 

Offline danishdots

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fleury
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 21:13 BST (UK) »
There was  Rev Anthony Fleury - who was Rector of Coolbanagher Church, Emo, Portlaoise,
Co. Laois (aka Queen's County)

Danishdots
Coolbanagher (Queens County, Ireland); North Creake (Norfolk); Aarhus (Denmark); Burntisland (Fife, Scotland); Rowlands Gill (Northumberland); Ballycarroll (Queens County, Ireland); Raheen (QueensCounty, Ireland)

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 May 10 18:50 BST (UK) »
Huguenot's in Ireland;
The Fluerys were decended from the French nobility. Shortly before the Revocation, Louis Fluery, the Protestant Pastor of Tours, fled, with his wife Esther, his son, born 1671 and two daughters, to England where they were all naturalized in 1679.
He came to Ireland as one of the private chaplins of William of Orange and was present with the army at the Boyne.
Later he became pastor at Leyden where his son, Philip Amuret (or Amaury) was educated and ordained " to preach the Gospel to the French in Ireland"
Philip Fluert was appointed chaplin to Colonel Bouchetiere's Regiment of Dragoons.
From 1716 till his death in 1734 he served in the French Church of  St Patrick's in Dublin.
He was the father of Rev. Antoine Fleury, also educated  at Leyden and ordained there in 1728. In 1730 the latter was licensed to the French Church of St Patrick's, a post which he resigned on his appointment to Coolbanagher in 1736. He was appointed Vicar-Choral of Lismore in 1761 and died in  1801, being buried in the French cemetery in Portarlington.
By his wife, Marie Julie, he had a son George Louis.
Another branch of the Fleury family seems to have settled in Cork, for in the Doneraile churchyard a monument existed to the memory of David Fleury, son of James Fleury and Louise Le Marchand.
A certain T.C. Fleury, who graduated in medicine at the University of Edinburgh in 1760, may also have had some connection with the family.

Martha Fortin does not seem to have obtained her legacy, for both ladies must have died in the same year. On March 4th 1786, probate of Martha Fortin's will is granted to Elizabeth, widow of Josias Franquefort, her executrix, and in October administration of Anne Fortin's to the Rev.George Fleury and the Rev. Richard Ryland.

Other tombstones beside that of de Bostaquet must have suffered with time. " What strikes one as strange" says a writer on the Portarlington graveyard, in the " Journal of the Association for the Preservation of Memorials of the Dead" is that the earliest slab in only dated 1737, and what is stranger still is that  only one inscription is in French and that in the Church  as late as 1817. The inscription referred to commerates " Antoine Fleury, pasteur de la Paroisse de Coolbanagher pendent plus de 40 ans decede le 6 Avril 1801.
Aussi Richard Dowdall, Ecuier decede la huitieme juillet 1801.

Ministers of the Conformed Churches;

Amaury Fleury..1701-1730
Antoine Fleury..1730-1736.
(most of the " Conformed" and many of the Calvinist ministers were beneficed in the Church of Ireland)

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 May 10 19:03 BST (UK) »
Lurent Guillamune de Gally, baptised by Antoine Fleury in the French Church in 1750.

Jean Villeneuve,  "officer de sa Majaste", she d. 18th May 1747, buried in the French Cemetery by Antoine Fleury from Coolbanagher church.

Offline danishdots

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 May 10 20:49 BST (UK) »
Goodness - I've learnt a lot.  Will have to study all this a bit more now.   many thanks, Danishdots
Coolbanagher (Queens County, Ireland); North Creake (Norfolk); Aarhus (Denmark); Burntisland (Fife, Scotland); Rowlands Gill (Northumberland); Ballycarroll (Queens County, Ireland); Raheen (QueensCounty, Ireland)

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 May 10 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I came to this thread because of the word "Fleury" in the title line, but the subjet is not quite what I thought it was going to be. However, I'm going to say what I was going to say anyway in case it helps.

I spent literally HOURS one night trying to figure out what a word on one of my census's was - the first name of one of my 2xgreat grandmother's brother's. It had been transcribed as Fleury, and I knew that couldn't be right. Anyway, after much squinting, zooming, and fiddling, it suddenly dawned on me - his name was Henry

Just thought - transcribers being what they are - it might work in reverse for your 'Fleury' searches  ;D

Ann

Offline Mick_Dolan86

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 May 10 23:00 BST (UK) »
There's a Fleury family in Cahir, Co. Tipperary

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2006/11/26/story19047.asp

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 May 10 23:08 BST (UK) »
Huguenot Refugees;
Flurey Louis, Protestant pastor of Tours, who fled to England in 1683. His son Philip Amuret, went over to Ireland as a Protestant minister and settled there.
His son, grandson of the refugee, became vicar-choral of Lismore, and the great grandson of the refugee, George Lewis Fleury became archdeacon of Waterford.
(added piece)
Another celebrated divine was the Rev. George Lewis Fleury, Archdeacon of Waterford-"the good old archdeacon", as he was called-widely known for his peity, his charity and his goodness. He was decended from Louis Fleury, pastor of Tours, who fled into England with his wife and family at the  Revocation. Several of the Fluery's are still clergymen in Ireland.

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 May 10 23:13 BST (UK) »
Between Tullamore and Birr Roots only found one Fleury

Birr 1901;
Clonogil Lower (5)
Murray; (Fleury Elizabeth, Mary, Elizabeth)