Author Topic: Minimum age for army enlistment?  (Read 13062 times)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Minimum age for army enlistment?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 October 17 11:41 BST (UK) »
Just to recap, you have Ted's WW1 records when in the RGA/Lab. Corps & a photo of him in a c. 1900 uniform which has been identified as the Gloucestershire Regt. In it he's wearing the Queens & King's SA Medals.
I can't see him in the SA Medal Rolls at present.
Does his WW1 record state any previous service ?
What was his WW1 service no. ?
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 October 17 12:18 BST (UK) »
I tried uploading his photo and other records but didn't seem to want to allow it ... I can email them? 

His full name is Albert Edward Clark but seemed to go mostly by Edward Clark.  I guess this is whag I'm wanting to determine.  The other photos I Have of  him he's older and I can't be sure.  My dad passed away this year but his cousin told me it's the photo her mother kept in her lounge when she was young.

I shall try again to upload what I have.

Blessings
And thank you fir your reply
Deb

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 October 17 12:30 BST (UK) »
The in  photo on question ... along with one in his later years.  He migrated to west Australia with his wife Daisy and the first 7 of their 9 children.  My grandfather was his eldest son born in Stroud.

Blessings
Deb

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 October 17 12:39 BST (UK) »
Trying again with the records

Deb

MOD COMMENT: Image removed in accordance with Rootschat Copyright policy. See here  for more info www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 October 17 12:43 BST (UK) »
I might need to get my husband to resize them on his computer as I'm having trouble uploading on a iPad.

Deb

MOD COMMENT: Image of whole document removed in accordance with Rootschat Copyright policy. See here  for more info www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 October 17 12:53 BST (UK) »
Try again

Deb

MOD COMMENT: Image of whole document removed in accordance with Rootschat Copyright policy. See here  for more info www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 October 17 13:39 BST (UK) »
They've uploaded fine. Have to go out but will take a look later.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 October 17 18:05 BST (UK) »
Apologies for having to ask these questions but how confident are you that the WW1 man (139450 & 681007) is yours?
Has the 1900 man's uniform been positively identified as that of the Gloucesters? although it does look like he has the Sphinx collar dogs.
I can't see any resemblance between the 2 men. If you look at the noses you can see they are completely different.
Could the person who believes it is the same man be wrong?
Looking at what you have appears (to me at least) that he may have been called up under the Derby Scheme being a Special Reservist prior to that & into the Glos. Regt. At some point he was transferred to the RGA where he saw service overseas & finally transferred to the LC at the end of the war.
There's nothing to suggest he was in the Glos. Regt. prior to Dec. 1915.

Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 00:24 BST (UK) »
No oppology necessary I have the same questions.  I also thought the nose looked different same eyes and ears though and he looks very much (the young man) like my grandson but that could just mean whoever he is he's family.  I've sent some emails through to a couple of my dads cousins one of which his dad is still alive and is the son of Edward Clark.  To see what they think.  No one has questioned the photo before now which is odd.  It's also been suggested to check the birth certificate of one of Teds sons that was born 9 months after his enlisted in 1915 to see if there is a unit number of Teds mentioned on the birth certificate.

My uncle gave me the record where it states he was called up for service and I went from that so in truth there are no guarantees. 

Ted was the illegitimate son of Amelia Clark so we don't even know who his father is, Amelia later married Thomas Roots and this is where I got mystified by the photo as in the 1901 census listed with Amelia and Thomas ... he was a widower with children himself.  There is is a Edward C Roots which I've always assumed is Ted the age is right which would one would think discount him from being off at the Boer War.  I do know that this is his family as the address is the same as that on the death certificate if Teds sister.

Teds wife Daisy is also illegitimate and she was the daughter of Isabella Wade.  The Wades were a couple of generations of military.  She was mostly raised by her grandparents Frederick and Harriet Wade.  Frederick enlisted at just 14 in Dublin (he was English but his dad was serving as a prison guard at Arbor Hill where he is buried) we think as a bugler he served in South Africa (not Boer War, much earlier) India and China before being discharged due to poor health.  Isabella was born in India.  Frederick's father also served from a young age his name was Jospeh and he and he sons were with the 60th royal rifles.  Jospeh and Fredrick were both colour sergeants.  I've often wondered how Ted and Daisy met.  But then Fredrick moved from Kingston on Thames after his wife died to Swindon where Isabella was living with her husband John Tuck.  Although I did find that Teds uncle and cousins were living in Swindon as well working for the railway so I can only guess. 

It may be I might have to save my pennies and get a researcher to check into this for me to see if we can as you say confirm we have the right records.  As for the photo I will see what the generation before me says it might remain a mystery.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply :-)

Blessings
Deb