Author Topic: Any resources for Durrisdeer for Rea(y)  (Read 22601 times)

Offline proteantime

• RootsChat Senior
  • To live, to love, to learn, to leave a legacy...
    • View Profile
Any resources for Durrisdeer for Rea(y)
« on: Sunday 14 May 06 11:29 BST (UK) »
 :D Hi,

I believe I may have found the parents of my (brick-walled) Rea(y) family who I am guessing were involved in the droving of cattle south through Carlisle and Penrith.

The son William Rea is listed in 1841 in Penrith as being 40 years of age and a Cattle Dealer born in Scotland.  Also living in the house was a 33 year old John Maxwell who is also a Cattle Dealer.

In 1851 William Rea is listed as a butcher in Carlisle and is 53 years of age.  The Maxwell gentleman is not present but one of William Rea's sons married a Maxwell girl from Dumfriess/Galloway district in Australia in 1860 and so we believe there may be a connection.

Here is the details for John Maxwell (from the LDS IGI):

John Maxwell 
Birth:  About 1807   Of Halleaths, Dumfries, Scotland
Spouse:  Elizabeth Johnston

I believe that Halleaths is near Lockerbie - not far from Durrisdeer but please correct me if I am wrong.

Here is what I believe to be William's birth (from the LDS IGI):

WILLIAM RAE 
Christening:  05 JAN 1800   Bridge Of Scar, Dumfries, Scotland
Father:  Robert Rae   Mother:  Margaret Lorimer

I have been unable to find the Bridge of Scar on a map but believe it to in the hills above Durrisdeer.  Here are the connected IGI listings I could find:

ROBERT RAE 
Birth:  About 1768   Of, Tynron, Dumfries, Scotland
Spouse:  Margaret Lorimer

MARGARET LORIMER:
Birth:  About 1772   Of, Tynron, Dumfries, Scotland
Spouse:  Robert Rae  (
Tynron is approx. 16.5 miles from Dumfries)

Other children:

ROBERT RAE 
   Christening:  03 JUL 1814   Durrisdeer, Dumfries, Scotland

JOHN RAE
Christening:  29 DEC 1816   Drumcrool, Durrisdeer, Dumfries, Scotland

JEAN KENNEDY RAE 
Christening:  21 OCT 1819   Durrisdeer, Dumfries, Scotland
Father:  ROBERT RAE   Mother:  MARGARET LORIMER

Any help in locating these people on the 1841 census, in parish resources or indeed in connection with cattle and/or shipbuilding would be fantastic.

Thank you in advance for your time and energy.

Kirsten
Heemskerk Netherlands
Beach (Faversham, Whitstable, Kent , Windsor Bucks)
Reay, Waller, Hutton (Cumberland, Westmorland)
Oppenheim (Hamburg, Mecklenberg, Manchester)
Cassell, Dickinson, Walter (London, Kent and Surrey)
Bury, Heywood, Cohen, Sichel (Lancashire)
Thompson (Great Yarmouth, London and Kent)
Brewer, Harvey (Suffolk, Norfolk)
Mathison (Newcastle upon Tyne)
http://www.webpalette.co.uk/Oppenheims.htm
UK Census info. is Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Any resources for Durrisdeer for Rea(y)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 May 06 12:20 BST (UK) »
hear is the link for free  1841 census

http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

audrey

Offline proteantime

• RootsChat Senior
  • To live, to love, to learn, to leave a legacy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 May 06 12:36 BST (UK) »
 ;)

thanks....busy searching under the spelling Rae which seems to be more applicable.

I'll come back with some possibilities.

I know so little about this areas history and wonder what became of his family after he moved south and became part of the larger Waller family in Westmorland.  I wonder how common it was for Scottish men from the border counties to marry and settle in Cumberland and Westmorland.

Kindest regards
Kirsten
Beach (Faversham, Whitstable, Kent , Windsor Bucks)
Reay, Waller, Hutton (Cumberland, Westmorland)
Oppenheim (Hamburg, Mecklenberg, Manchester)
Cassell, Dickinson, Walter (London, Kent and Surrey)
Bury, Heywood, Cohen, Sichel (Lancashire)
Thompson (Great Yarmouth, London and Kent)
Brewer, Harvey (Suffolk, Norfolk)
Mathison (Newcastle upon Tyne)
http://www.webpalette.co.uk/Oppenheims.htm
UK Census info. is Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruadh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am direct Descendant of Robert Rae (c.1774-1847) and Margaret Lorimer (1778-1867) through their son, David Rae (c.1813, Sanquhar, though baptism unrecorded.Died Glasgow 1860). Margaret Lorimer was the daughter of Thomas Lorimer (c.1735-1826), sometime farmer in Durisdeer/Sanquhar, and Margaret Hunter (c.1754-1825). Robert was the son (so far as I am able to tell) of William Rae and Mary Brown. When Robert Rae died, he was living at Raefield in Sanquhar. The 1841 census describes him as an 'agricultural worker', but his son (with whom he was living) had a farm of a reasonable size.
I know of no connections with England, nor with cattle dealing as such, nor any connections with the Maxwells, save that a William Rae, of Durrisdeer (Sanquhar) married a Grizzel Maxwell.  This William Rae is not the one you referred to, born at Bridge of Scar (the latter being brother to my g.g.g.g.Grandfather, David).
The family grave for the Raes and Lorimers lies in Sanquhar Kirkyard. Here Thomas Lorimer (father to Margaret above) is described as a farmer of 200 acres (quite a plot, even nowadays).
I hope these details will be of interest to you. I live in the Highlands, so my opportunities for rummaging around Dumfriesshire are fairly limited.
ROC (Fodderty/Strathpeffer/Applecross): Bethune/Beaton, Campbell,Livingstone,Urquhart
Argyle:Livingstone,McPhail
Glasgow: Bethune,Campbell, Adam, Anderson,Livingstone,Rae
Dumfriesshire:Campbell,Carlyle,Jardine,Lorimer,Rae,Ramage,Rutherford,Turnbull,Watson.

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 September 08 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have also researched the Rae family ....
William Rae & Grizzel Maxwell,Durisdeer
their son William Rae a farmer, Gateslack farm,Durisdeer & Mary Brown,
their son William Rae born Durisdeer m Catherine Kinnear,William a farmer,Ryehill,Sanquhar.

I have other bits of info on this family if interested.

Fiona

Offline Ruadh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 September 08 22:31 BST (UK) »
By all means, Fiona. William Rae jnr., and his wife, Catherine Kinnear had at least five children, one of whom had the name Roberta. This suggests a link with my Durrisdeer/Sanquhar Raes, since the forename 'Robert' crops up repeatedly there. However, I have been unable to link William Rae senior with my family. The William Rae b. 1800 (in my line) was the son of Robert Rae and Margaret Lorimer, not William Rae and Grizzel Maxwell. I suppose (it's easy to confuse generations) that William Rae (husband to Grizzel) might have been a brother to Robert Rae. That's a possibility.

Ruadh.
ROC (Fodderty/Strathpeffer/Applecross): Bethune/Beaton, Campbell,Livingstone,Urquhart
Dumfriesshire:Campbell,Carlyle,Jardine,Lorimer,Rae,Ramage,Rutherford,Turnbull,Watson.

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 September 08 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruadh         

welcome to Rootschat

I have no connection with Rae's, I researched the Rae's for my Uncle about 6years ago and passed all info onto him.When I read the Rea(y),Durrisdeer post it rang some bells,so I am going by notes and previous/viewed records on SP.You may already have this info but will type all from my notes including William Rae/Grizzel Maxwell info, incase you make a connection with them in the future.

William Rae & Grizzel Maxwell - no marriage record found
recorded children
1.WILLIAM b 26th June 1771    -    died 1859 Gateslack,Durisdeer
2.Jean        b  3rd Aug   1772   
3.Margaret b 12th Mar  1775    -    poss died 1858 Durisdeer,poss married Robert Gibson
4.Jean        b 15th June 1777
5.Grizel       b 1779   
all born Durisdeer

WILLIAM RAE & Mary Brown - no marriage record found
recorded childen
1.William b 27th Sep 1806
2.Adam   b 28th Mar  1808
3.Janet   b   8th April 1809 :-\
4.Grizzel b   7th June 1809 :-\
5.Grizzel b   7th June 1811
6.Agnes  b  28th Jan  1814
7.WILLIAM b 1st Jan  1818    -     poss died 1882
all born Durisdeer

I have other bits of info re William & Mary's children including a child Grace which at the moment doesnt make sense :-\,spouses,occupation and a place called Gracefield House,Dumfries.I can find no reference to where I got this info,again it is from notes,let me know if you are interested.

WILLIAM RAE m Catherine Kinnear 28th Feb 1844 Edinburgh & Sanquhar - poss parents for Catherine as Robert Kinnear & Elisabeth Mitchell
children
1.Elizabeth Mitchel b1845 Sanquhar
2.William                b1847     "
3.Mary Brown         b1848      "
4.Catherine            b1850      "
5.Roberta               b1855 Durisdeer
6.Grace Maxwe(ll)Rae b1858 Durisdeer

above is almost all I have as I passed all info to my Uncle,unless I have more notes undiscovered.Hope this is of help to you.

Fiona

had a look at your research names,I have a Helen Johnstone JARDINE babt1896 Kirkmahoe,Dumfries, m David Richardson any connection?

Offline Ruadh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 September 08 21:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Fiona.
William Rae (d.1859), husband of Grizzel Maxwell, left a will dated 1860, and available for inspection at Scotlandspeople.org (for £5..). I gave it a miss.
His father, William, died in 1792, with his own will being proved in 1795. Sadly, the paucity of 18thC baptismal and marriage records (non-existent in some parishes) make the business of unearthing links frustrating. Thus, Wills can be a useful entry point on tricky lines, where all else fails.
Helen Jardine could well be a connection. I am descended from James Jardine and Helen Cowan of Canonbie, through their daughter, Janet (1778-c1851) and Andrew Rutherford (1773-1851). However, this is one ancestral seam I have yet to mine. Jardines abound in Dumfriesshire.
If you have any references to Robert Rae/ Margaret Lorimer or Thomas Rae (farmed at Durisdeer, and whose entire brood seemed to vanish c. 1861- probably to America..) I would be interested to see them.

Ruadh.

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 September 08 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

I know of William's will and advised my Uncle who declined to purchase.Wow :o,you have William's father, can you share William's father details I could never find either of his parents.

I have not pursued Helen Johnstone Jardines line,Helen was the 2nd wife of my GGrandfather David Richardson who lived and died 1953 at The Marches,Canonbie,so yes there may be a connection.

I will gladly pass on any info re Robert & Margaret I have a few records from SP although I am sure you will already have them.
Fiona