Author Topic: Any resources for Durrisdeer for Rea(y)  (Read 22602 times)

Offline Gateslack

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Any resources for Durrisdeer for Rea(y)
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 20:32 BST (UK) »
I am descended from William Rae's daughter Grizel. The family history records that William came from Dalkeith (Midlothian) and that the marriage in Durisdeer was delayed by six weeks due to a heavy snowstorm. I don't have any information on his birth or parents.

Grizel Maxwell's father was William Maxwell of Miltown, tenant of Durisdeer Inn and Farm.

William Maxwell was married to Janet Maclellan, descended from the Maclellan of Bombie.

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Gateslack   ... your profile name is very appropriate :)

welcome to Rootschat

thats good to know William Rae came from Dalkeith,catchristies grand aunt thought so,narrows it down a bit.Interesting about the marriage-snowstorm-delay.

I too do not have confirmed birth or parents for William but have checked the IGI and there is a William Rae m Jean/Jane Monteith with son William b1840 Dalkeith,possible maybe

I have not gone down Grizel (dau of William & Grizel)line,would appreciate any info

Fiona

Offline Gateslack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 23:11 BST (UK) »
My photos of Durrisdeer

Gateslack Farm - home to William Rae
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/233341

Durisdeer Inn - home to William Maxwell
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/233355

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 23:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Gateslack

thanks for the photos,I had Googled and found the Gateslack photo,very impressive,better than your average farm house I would have thought,hadnt seen the Durisdeer Inn though.I have researched the Rae family but not the Maxwells,althought catchristie gave me Grizzel Maxwells parents as William Maxwell and Margaret.

Fiona

Offline catchristie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Rae/Maxwell
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 17:34 BST (UK) »
Great photo of Durisdeer Inn, haven't seen that before. My g. aunt had a big line from Grizel Maxwell's parents back. Ends up (with some skipped bits) to the Maxwell line but was never sure of it. How did you find out about the delay in the wedding (Gateslack)?

Offline Gateslack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 20:11 BST (UK) »
Some inscriptions from the graveyard in Durisdeer Kirkyard

Wm Rae, Farmer, Gateslack born 1st January 1818 died Portland Place, Maxwelltown 15th August 1888.

Also Catherine Kinnear his wife, born 4th June 1821, died Halldykes, Rothwell Park, Dumfries 7th October 1898. Janet, daughter born 23rd November 1853 died June 1854, also William, son, died at Ashburn, Fort Willam 22nd September 1912 aged 65, interred in Kilmallie Churchyard, Fort William

On the adjacent gravestones:

In memory of William Rae, son of Adam Rae and Mary Farish, Gateslack born 12th February died 11th March 1843 aged 29 days. And of the said Adam Rae died 19th March 1857 aged 43 years.

In memory of Robert Gilson died at Enoch Mill January 1st 1858 aged 98 years, and of Margaret Rae his spouse who died 30th August 1858 aged 85 years.

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 20:16 BST (UK) »
many thanks for the MI's from Durisdeer Kirkyard,much appreciated.

Fiona

Offline PeterHastings

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Its a while since I have been on Roots Chat , but while reading the postings came across your entry and thought I could clarify a few points for u. Firstly I suspect Bridge of Scaur is not in the hills above Durrisdeer as mentioned on 14th.May, 06, but is in fact in the neighbouring parish of Glencairn, as this is where the Scaur burn is between the villages of Penpont and Moniaive, I have looked on the Ordnance Survey map Land Ranger sheet 78 1:50000 but could find no reference to it, although it may be where the main road? crosses it. This would tie in with the act that Robert Rae and Margaret Lorrimer came from Tynron which is in  the parish of Glencairn. The only reason I know this is because I originally came from the area.Also u may b interested to know ther is also a Glencairn Kirkyard and church in the parish. Trust this is of some help, as the saying goes 'Better late than never'.
Petr
Hastings (main interest), also Wilson,Clark,Maxwell,Clement,Paterson,Kerr.

Offline cantiggy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 03:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have also researched the Rae family ....
William Rae & Grizzel Maxwell,Durisdeer
their son William Rae a farmer, Gateslack farm,Durisdeer & Mary Brown,
their son William Rae born Durisdeer m Catherine Kinnear,William a farmer,Ryehill,Sanquhar.

I have other bits of info on this family if interested.

Fiona
 Hi Fiona: I just came across this post of yours.....this is my family on the Brown's side....do you have any information on Mary Brown grandparents? His name was John Brown and he married a Janet??? Also John apparently was married to someone else before Janet......Mary's father was Adam Brown and Janet McCheyne? and Adam was married to a Jean Lorrimer before Janet.. I would like to find out if there was an Adam Brown born to Jean Lorimer and Adam Brown??????.....They lived at Gateslack before the Rae's. I imagine William Rae took over the farm when he married Mary.....My line is with Mary's brother, John Brown who married Marion Wilson. I'm trying to find information on the original John Brown, up top. He was born around 1654 and lived to be 103 years old....Where was he born? and who were his parents? Who did he marry and who were all his children?  I know of Thomas, John, Mary and Adam, but that's it.. He lived most of his life at Gateslack, Durisdeer.......I would certainly appreciate any help that you could give me.....Thank you. Christine