Author Topic: Barker Brothers, Longton  (Read 5584 times)

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Maggie Wright 1889-1949
    • View Profile
Barker Brothers, Longton
« on: Sunday 14 May 06 20:30 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me please anything about the firm of Barker Brothers who were pottery manufacturers in Longton?

My maternal grandmother's great uncles Edwin, Eli and Elam Barker (sons of George, shoemaker of Stone, Staffs) were all listed as earthenware manufacurers in the 1901 census.  They came from Meir Heath but all had connections with Longton.

Thanks
Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline SueTeakle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Barker Brothers, Longton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 May 06 21:19 BST (UK) »

Try this site, I think the Barker Bros. are mentioned

http://www.thepotteries.org/allpotters/60.htm
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 May 06 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

Yes, I had seen the bit on thepotteries site.  They do mention Barker Bros and show the marks, but there is no information on the formation or people involved in the company's history.

Thanks for looking.
Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline robemar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 April 10 18:00 BST (UK) »
Did you ever find any more info about Barker Bros.? I have many Barker relatives from Longton in the 19th century and would love to link to this famous pottery.
Marriott: Ashover, Derbys.
Wood: Hollinclough, Staffs. & Ashover, Derbys.
Margereson/Marjerison: Old Brampton & Barlow, Derbys.
Hopkinson: Chesterfield, Derbys.
Neale: Droitwich, Worcs.

Offline mcconnell922

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 April 10 20:54 BST (UK) »
hello

What i mostly discovered by collaboration with my second cousin was that my branch of the Barker family was not the same as the famous Barker Brothers - a great disappointment after I had bought a plate from the period!!

I hope you find something interesting - if you think you have a connection with me I have a tree on tribal pages which you can link from my profile.

Cheers, Ellen

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 April 10 20:57 BST (UK) »
I just realised that my daughter was signed in on this computer and I replied on her profile,  The message was actually from me!!  Welcome to Rootschat.

Ellen

Offline thezenden

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 April 15 16:18 BST (UK) »
I have just registered on this site and I am from Longton. My ancestors were Barkers on my mothers side and my Grandad always told us that the owners were our relatives, but the last Barker to own it lost it through wine women and song. I would love to find out but don't know where to start

Offline specfreak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 January 16 23:44 GMT (UK) »
It's interesting that you mention Barker's and Pottery in the same post.
I'm a descendant of a William Barker, my 5x Great Grandfather who was from Hook, Staffordshire, born 1766.  I understand they were Potters, but have no idea if they are the same as the Potter Bros.
William moved to the North East of England in around 1787 when he married Sarah Hinton who was also a potter, as was her father John.  All from Staffordshire but moved to the NE as potters.

Unfortunately the trail goes cold and I'm unsure about any further back.  I have made an assumption
that the other two Barkers Edward and John who all married in Newcastle.  I know that William settled first in Heworth south of the tyne, and then to Sunderland.  Edward also did the same.
I cannot be 100% sure they were related, but Edward and William were both potters from Staffordshire, moved to the NE, married and ended up in Sunderland.  A co-incidence perhaps, but interesting either way.

Maybe these Barkers were from a Branch connected ?

Offline peggyW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 February 16 16:44 GMT (UK) »
I don't know anything about the history of Barker Bros. but my father worked there for over 54 years!
In fact he met Mum there & they married in 1939.

When my father was Clay Manager, Barker Bros was owned by the Hewitt Bros who also had Sampson Smiths which was also in Barker St. & manufactured china, as opposed to earthenware.

If you look on the website Made in England Mosaic you will find a piece which I wrote about my father/ Barker Bros which shows the works, backstamp & a few photos ---one of which was of Alfred Clough who bought the works from the Hewitts. His son took over on Alf's death.

I don't know if the factory is still standing---the whole area surrounding it is derelict which is very sad!

PeggyW