Author Topic: Dolly - another name could be???  (Read 7611 times)

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: Dolly - another name could be???
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 May 06 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,

Dolly is the diminutive name for Dolores or Dorothy but is also a true name in its own right and can be dated back to at least the 16th century. Shakespear has a Doll Tearsheet in Henry IV, Part 2 (1597). In my own family I had an Aunt Doll however it was a nickname given to her from birth as she was born so small her real name was Elizabeth

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline hlbradd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 May 06 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

My Nan was a Doll (no 'y').

Real name - Doris Lilian.

Helen
Warwickshire - ADKINS / KENNARD
Hertfordshire - BRADD / ROBLETT / THOROGOOD / WATSON
ABURN - BLANKS - BLOGG - BURGESS - FERRY - FREEMAN - GOODRICK - GOTTY -MEECH - MIDDLEDITCH -  RUSSELL - PLANT - THURSTON

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ann W

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alfred & Elizabeth HUDSON
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 May 06 09:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone, you are all great taking out the time to help me.

HUDSON is such a common name to, which makes it hard. 

Elizabeth could be a option, as the mother was elizabeth and first daughter had second name elizabeth, next child was elisabeth.. maybe by the sixth they forgot they had a elisabeth,  or the first one had died... 

i will keep looking or i will have to wait till the next census is out..

gosh Bee and Nanny Jan , it makes it hard when Dick is Arthur and Queenie is Ada.. oh dear...

best wishes

lov ann
Warwickshire: Husselbee, Willetts, Simpson, Hudson, Worwood, Weston, Moss
Worcester, Willetts
Cambridgeshire: Bartlam, Simpson, Graves, Radford.
Staffordshire: Weston, Bartlam, Worwood, Roberts
Wales: Roberts, (jones Ha Ha )
Lancashire and New foundland: Walmsley.
Ireland,Co Down, lemon: Co Mayo, Deane, Conway, Scanlan: Waterford, O'Hanrahan, Fitzgerald.
New Zealand: O'Hanrahan, Walmsley, Trapani ,Lemon. Pascoe
Australia: NSW: Lemon

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 May 06 09:49 BST (UK) »
as an aside to this thread I have the same "trouble" like Nanny Jan and Bee with family members being known under different names within the family. My nan's real name was Elizabeth but was known to all as "Aunt Titch" one of her sister in law's was known as "Aunt Mog" but her real name was also Elizabeth, my Aunt Doll (daughter of Aunt Titch) was also called Elizabeth. My mother's name was Alice but was known as "Gladys" or "Glad" while one of her cousins went under the name of either "Bubbles" or "Nobby", story has it that when he married his "new" mother in law was asking family members if they had seen Thomas (his real name) but no one knew who she ment as no one in his family had called him that for years.

old rowley

Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline wend

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 May 06 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Ann, I wish you all the best in finding your "Dolly"! My mum is called Dorothy and that was shortened to Dolly many years ago. I have to say Bee that your tongue-twister had me in stitches! Have you tried saying it quickly?!?

I've just found out that my "Auntie Alice" as she was known by absolutely everyone who knew her, was actually christened Rose Mary - so where on earth the name Alice came from, goodness only knows.

Wendy
Researching: Bailey/Whatcott/Emerson/Shotter/Goodall/Ingram

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 17 May 06 05:15 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD has the following births:
HUDSON Doris Maud, Birmingham, Mar qtr 1909
HUDSON Dorothy Adeline, Aston, Jun qtr 1909

My Great-aunt Queenie's real names were Minnie Ada.  And Great-aunt Olive's real names were Alice Beatrice ...

JAP

Offline Ann W

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alfred & Elizabeth HUDSON
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 17 May 06 08:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that Jap.

I said c 1910 because Rosetta HUDSON was born 29 feb 1908..  but either the Doris or the Dorothy could be My Dolly..

Isn't i amazing how many weren't called by there real name..

Still - my husband has been 'terry' all his life , but his real name is Raymond, but his father was called Raymond, but his real name was William, but his silly mother named two children with the same name, and the other William got called Bill.

lol

thanks again
best wishes.
Warwickshire: Husselbee, Willetts, Simpson, Hudson, Worwood, Weston, Moss
Worcester, Willetts
Cambridgeshire: Bartlam, Simpson, Graves, Radford.
Staffordshire: Weston, Bartlam, Worwood, Roberts
Wales: Roberts, (jones Ha Ha )
Lancashire and New foundland: Walmsley.
Ireland,Co Down, lemon: Co Mayo, Deane, Conway, Scanlan: Waterford, O'Hanrahan, Fitzgerald.
New Zealand: O'Hanrahan, Walmsley, Trapani ,Lemon. Pascoe
Australia: NSW: Lemon

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 18 May 06 17:17 BST (UK) »
My mum had an Aunt Dolly- it wasn't till she died 1 day short of her 99th birthday- that we discovered she had been born Mary Elizabeth ....HUH  ::)

My godfather was always called Chick-after he died we found out his real name was Harold- apparently the name Chick was given to him in the Merchant Navy in WW2 and it stuck  ;)

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bojalu

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 06 August 06 02:28 BST (UK) »
My great Aunt Doll , real name was Clara !
Great Uncle Jim , real name Charles !

Nothing like their original names.

Of course both my Mary Ann's were known as Polly's.
So if any of you are unable to find a Polly's Birth , look for Mary Ann.

Bo