Author Topic: TANSEY - Sligo  (Read 20512 times)

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: TANSEY - Sligo
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 08:40 GMT (UK) »
I was contacted years ago by someone from New Zealand who was descended from Cornelius Tansey and Elizabeth Jane Ball.  She came through their son Cornelius who married Mabel Kirkbride and it was their son who went out to New Zealand.

Details on Bridget's death certificate are:

Death: 3 April 1890, 19 Railway View, Monks Coppenhall
Name: Bridget Tansey
Cause of death: Cardiac disease dropsy

On the 1901 census Michael's second wife (Elizabeth) was said to have been born in Wheelock, which is in Sandbach. The three children were Alfred, James and Elizabeth aged 7, 5 and 1 who were born in Crewe. The last person listed in the household was Catherine Bowers.

My grandfather never mentioned his Tansey relatives beyond his mother's (Ellen Jane) siblings William Henry, Cornelius, Edward and Annie.  I certainly don't think he was aware that his grandfather, Michael Henry Tansey, died whilst in a drunken stupor or that his mother's Tansey aunt died from a fall downstairs.  According to the newspaper, she had left her husband (Henry Jefferson) and taken up with a watchmaker in Crewe.

Jay ::)
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline gypsymorph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information regarding Bridget.

Offline Alan Kleve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 18 August 17 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

Does anybody have the surname Tansey in their family history? My ancestor Michael Tansey (a bricklayer) married (1853) Bridget Donohue at Macclesfield in Cheshire, England.  His father was called Cornelius Tansey.

The Tansey family settled in South Cheshire (Nantwich & Crewe).

Jayson

Offline Alan Kleve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 18 August 17 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Jayson
I am a direct descendant of Michael Tansey via my mother, Ivy Tansey from Nantwich S.Cheshire. Her father William Henry, who had two brothers, Edward and Cornelius, was, I think the grandson of Michael. I have a family tree extending back to Michael.

Offline Alan Kleve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 18 August 17 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi again Jayson

Just read your earlier post and gather that your father was Leslie Hoole, who was around when I grew up in Nantwich as was his father, Billie. The story about William Henry Tansey dying when dead drunk was a legend in our family but we thought he fell down stairs.

Offline gypsymorph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 18 August 17 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan I am also a direct descendant of Michael Tansey through my dad Jack Tansey, his Dad Edward Tansey and his dad Cornelius. Do you have any information relating to the Sligo Tanseys? I know that Michael Tanseys father was Cornelius but not much other than that .

Offline Alan Kleve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 19 August 17 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm afraid I've never found out anything about the Sligo Tanseys not least because it seems to be a fairly common name in the West of Ireland. My family tree shows Michael and Bridget with five children - Catherine, Michael, John, Mary and Patrick - but no Cornelius! would be glad if you could let me have more info on that. Michael Henry seems to have died in 1900 (drunk) if aged 38. He had a sister, Mary, who married Henry Jefferson and who is apparently the sister who fell down stairs and died after taking up with he watchmaker in Crewe. My granddad, William Henry was in a poultry business with his brothers Con and Edward until he died in 1941.All very interesting but more so if we could find out more about the Sligo origins.

Offline gypsymorph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 19 August 17 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi
Cornelius was born in Crewe in 1857 and died in Nelson Lancashire in 1924. He was a bricklayer and did work on the Leeds Liverpool canal. There was also a sister Ellen W Tansey.

I know that Michaels father was also Cornelius as I was in touch with someone who had a copy of the birth certificate. His wife was possibly Margaret Daw.

I did a lot of research on ancestry.co.uk and my family tree is set to public so anyone can view it.

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Alan

I have sent you a PM

Jay
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"