Author Topic: GASTON CARON, Canadian WW2 navigator stationed in the UK, any ideas??  (Read 2386 times)

Offline Caroline_d

• RootsChat Member
  • All information is appreciated
    • View Profile
Hello

Gaston Caron, he featured in a small way in a previous posting, now I've decided to give him his own topic.

All I currently know at present is:

He was Canadian, served in Wellesbourne, England during 1944. 
    He was originally a navigator on the Wellington MF509, but was replaced due to illness. 
    He survived the war as there is no mention of him on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website.
    He may have been from the the Montreal area as were some of the other crew memebers, but this has not been verified.

Gaston is shown in the picture with the rest of the Wellington crew, his replacement was Jules Villeneuve.

Any advice and tips on where to look is appreciated. 

The original posting is on the link below:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,101535.0.html

Anges Weild - Annan - married William Blenkinsop - Annan
Jane Scott, Roxborough who married William Hope (children, Wilhelmina Amelia, Horatio Nelson Trafalga Hope!) 
James Blenkinsop (born Dumfries)
James Blenkinsop (born Lancashire)
Wilhelmina Blenkisop (born Surrey) married Arthur Price (Wales)
Henry Reginald Price (Brecon, South Wales)
Evans (Coelbren, Wales)

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: GASTON CARON, Canadian WW2 navigator stationed in the UK, any ideas??
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 November 06 05:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caroline.

Did you want to try posting on the Emigrants to Canada board.  There are a number of people that are great at researching that may be able to help.  Also, there should be some that are from Quebec, and maybe they will have an easier time searching the Quebec records.

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline annsa

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 November 06 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caroline,

You could try posting a request for help on the general questions message board at:

www.rafcommands.com

There are a couple of Canadian researchers that use that board who could possibly help, Hugh Halliday and Floyd Williston. Hugh is probably the best bet as he lives near the archives at Ottawa and he would probably be able to look at the airman's service record which may well give additional information. Hugh is a well known historian and avaition author and has also compiled all the medal info for the Veterans Association so he has a few good contacts.

Regards,

Ann

Offline annsa

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 November 06 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caroline,

Was he from Quebec?

There are 2 Carons on the site that Hugh has given information for as follows, perhaps one of these was related to Gaston:

CARON, F/L Joseph Albert Leopold (J7607) - Commended for Valuable Services - No.11 EFTS - Award effective 1 January 1946 as per Canada Gazette of that date and AFRO 82/46 dated 25 January 1946.  Born 8 March 1910. Home in Levis, Quebec; enlisted in Quebec, 30 October 1939. initially as an Aero Engine Mechanic.  Promoted to Leading Aircraftman, 1 October 1940 and posted to No.2 SFTS, 3 October 1940. Remustered to aircrew, 8 April 1941 and reverted to Aircraftman Second Class. Trained at No.3 ITS (graduated 16 May 1941), No.11 EFTS (graduated 3 July 1941), and No.14 SFTS (graduated 26 September 1941). Commissioned 7 October 1941. Posted to No.13 SFTS, 31 December 1941; to No.22 EFTS, 30 May 1942; to No.11 EFTS, 6 July 1943; to No.10 EFTS, 11 February 1944 but appears to have returned to Mo.11 EFTS soon afterwards.  Released 1 February 1945.

This officer has always carried out his duties with great ability, and at all times he has shown an outstanding devotion to the service, which have inspired confidence and command respect from his fellow officers and men under him.

and

CARON, F/L Wilfred Mitchell (J23042) - Distinguished Flying Cross - No.357 Squadron - Award effective 9 October 1945 as per London Gazette dated 19 October 1945 and AFRO 1822/45 dated 7 December 1945.  Born March 1921 at Midway, British Columbia; home there or Trail, British Columbia (clerk); enlisted Edmonton, 6 May 1942.  Trained at No.7 ITS (graduated 24 October 1942) and No.3 AOS (graduated 5 March 1943).  Commissioned February 1943.  Award presented at Sea Island, 22 October 1949.

Flight Lieutenant Caron has completed a large number of sorties, mostly at night.  These have included supply dropping, bombing and special duties.  These sorties have been flown over occupied Burma, often remote from good landmarks, and a high standard of navigation has been necessary.  Flight Lieutenant Caron's skill and determination have contributed greatly to the successes achieved by his crew.

Regards,

Ann

Offline Caroline_d

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 March 07 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann

Many thanks for the information you've supplied, apologies for not replying before, I've concentrated on another thread and hadn't realised that there had been a reply to this as there had not been any updates for ages.

We've found very little information on Gaston Caron, other than my original posting.  I do not know where my Gaston Caron was born, but it's possible it was in the Montreal area as most of his other crew were from that area. 

Also he was training in Wellesbourne, England in 1944 with the 22 OTU. I'm sure others out there will might know more and I'd appreciate further input.  I will also follow up on the information you've kindly supplied.

Many thanks
Caroline
Jane Scott, Roxborough who married William Hope (children, Wilhelmina Amelia, Horatio Nelson Trafalga Hope!) 
Evans (Coelbren, Wales)

Offline Caroline_d

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 March 07 09:30 GMT (UK) »
posted twice in error!
Evans (Coelbren, Wales)