Author Topic: Clezy, Clezie connections  (Read 77959 times)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Clezy, Clezie connections
« Reply #135 on: Friday 12 July 13 19:42 BST (UK) »
I've just been checking the Edinburgh Post Office directories online for a Stephenson ancestor in 1840s Edinburgh, and I see that in 1840-41 there was a George Clazy, city missionary, living at 18 Meadow Place. He ought to show up in the 1841 census.

Harry

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Friday 12 July 13 23:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Harry.  George Clazy, the home missionary, is indeed listed in the 1841 census at 18 Meadow Place, St. Cuthbert's, and again in 1851.  This particular George Clazy was at least the 3rd George in a sequence, and he was followed by many more - at least 39 of them in the Clazie-Clazey-Clazy-Clezie-Clezy family.  Enough to give anyone a headache!  For the sake of future genealogists, all parents should be encouraged to give their children original names.
Clezie (Clazie, Clezy, Clazy, Clazey, Claise, etc.), Lockhart, Heiser, Schwab, Tomon, Zarnowski, Megert, Iseli

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Thursday 01 May 14 21:15 BST (UK) »
The latest on the Clazie, etc. saga...

Pre-Revolutionary records from France are now available online.  They show Clesie, Clezie, Clézie spellings at Paris, 1732-1790.  The accent aigu “é” would be pronounced like Clazie.

A record at Habloville, in Normandy, shows burial of a child, Pierre Clezie, in 1749. 

Clezie and Clezy spellings are found at Ay and Vitry-le-François, in the Marne region east of Paris, 1899 & 1901.

Meanwhile, records at Berwick-upon-Tweed and at Hutton, Berwickshire, show the name from 1665 to the present, written Clasey, Clazie, Clazey, Clazy, Clezie, Clezy. 

The name is so unusual, it could hardly have sprung up independently, on both sides of the Channel, just a few years apart.  How to find a link?  Suggestions appreciated.
Clezie (Clazie, Clezy, Clazy, Clazey, Claise, etc.), Lockhart, Heiser, Schwab, Tomon, Zarnowski, Megert, Iseli

Offline JCRCLEZY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Thursday 05 October 17 13:35 BST (UK) »
Very interesting reading..  upon researching Rutherford first, it took me to Roxborough/Berwickshire.   I have since started looking into Clezy...low and behold, same area.  And as Ive found on here with headstones...same time.  If I find a connection I shall be totally gobsmacked...

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Thursday 05 October 17 14:00 BST (UK) »
You are certainly related!  The name is so unusual, that all of us with any version of it are "cousins" of some kind.  I've got a list of names with 107 Clazey, 234 Clazie, 42 Clazy, 82 Clezie, 137 Clezy, all related to each other.  Where are you from?  Who was your Clezy grandfather?  We can probably figure out where you fit in the tree.

Offline JCRCLEZY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Thursday 05 October 17 15:20 BST (UK) »
My hubbys grandfather is from Symmington area in Ayrshire, Robert Clezy

Offline JCRCLEZY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Thursday 05 October 17 15:32 BST (UK) »
surnames from the eight stones include

With regards to...
Allan
Clazy
Luke
Meikle
Rutherford

Do I have my own series of Outlander going on here... Clezy now but was Rutherford.  The Rutherfords seem to have originated at the Borders ( Roxborough/Berwick areas), so I'm interested to discover why and when the Clezy's (Clazy's) arrived

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Thursday 05 October 17 15:54 BST (UK) »
I see a Robert Clezy born at Symington in 1940; his father was an earlier Robert Clezy from Glenboig; grandfather was John Clezy from Glasgow who married Jessie Gegg; great-grandfather was William Clazy who changed the spelling to Clezy and married Annie Watson.  This William came from Scone but was a nephew of my great-great-great-grandfather George Clezie, born at Hutton, Berwickshire, who migrated to Canada in 1832.  So yes, looks like your husband and I are probably 5th or 6th or 7th  cousins!  More cousins are scattered in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and USA.