Author Topic: GANDLEY Warwickshire Regt. pre WW1 & Boer War  (Read 964 times)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
GANDLEY Warwickshire Regt. pre WW1 & Boer War
« on: Friday 10 February 06 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I am trying to find information on my gr-grandfather, Joseph Gandley, born May 1880 in Birmingham.  On his Attestation Papers for WWI in Canada he notes prior service, yes 6 years Royal Warwickshire Reg. South Africa.

Can you see if there is any mention of him, please.  He did have a brother John Gandley who I believe was in the Boer War as well.

Thank you for any help.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline spencergee

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GANDLEY Warwickshire Regt. pre WW1 & Boer War
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 August 17 23:50 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I'm trying to find out some family history, and I'm off to Ireland next week to find out more. I'll be finding out about my grandmother, Mary Gandley, originally Mary Kelly, but your post stood out as I am also trying to find out about my grandfather, Patrick Gandley, who served in the Warwickshire Regiment in World War 2. The name Gandley is a very rare one, so it seems, but in some instances the name Ganley has been changed.

My mum and aunt were useless at finding out about their parents, and so I know very little about my grandad, his parents and so on. I hope to find out more if I can, next week. What I do know is my grandfather was born in Roscommon in May 1917, and at some point the family moved. He had some brothers and a sister, as far as I know but I hope to find out more about his mum and dad and his siblings, like their names for example!

So, apologies for the rambling nature of this message, but your message stood out as, in short, I'm a Gandley, trying to find out about another Gandley who was in the Warwickshire Regiment!

Anyhow, hope your search is going well, and if I find out anything that might connect with the details you provided, I'll let you know.

Best wishes,

Spencer