Author Topic: Police Officers sent to Boer War?  (Read 2638 times)

Offline Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Police Officers sent to Boer War?
« on: Thursday 05 January 06 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi to everyone
I've been trying to hunt down one of my ancestors Evan Wide born 1848 Glamorgan S.Wales. Police Officer in Glamorgan according to census details. I lost his trail in 1891/ 1901 census. While searching the S.A archives for another family member who used to live in SA, low and behold EVAN WIDE'S name was listed under NAB misc documents dated 1902 Evan Wide widow. (family bible also has death date for Evan Wide as 1902) Due to the holidays I have not send for this document.

Does anyone know if Police Officers from the UK were sent to the Boer War,  I have been told that yes this did happen, as yet have found no documents or literature to read up on. If this was the case as Police Officers what regiment if they were even under a regiment would they have come under?? Was the role to guard POW's.
Sorry for all the questions, but reading this thread there are a lot of knowledgable people that may be able to steer me in the right direction.
Many Thanks
Jane
Pembrokeshire St.Dogmaels names "Davies", "Jones" William (s)  and Rees, these families moved to Cardiff, Glamorgan.
Yorkshire, surname "Burniston"
Devon, Somerset and Cardiff Glamorgan surname "Wide"

Offline Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Police Officers sent to Boer War?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 July 18 07:29 BST (UK) »
After years of searching, Thank you to the NLW, Wales newspapers on line - Evan Wide, was having an affair and ran off to South Africa, the mistress divorced and they wed in Southampton before boarding the ship. Due to the disgrace of this affair he was asked to resign from the police force. He became I believe a stretcher bearer during the Boer war. Hope he was happy with his new life as he seemed to have lost everything.
Pembrokeshire St.Dogmaels names "Davies", "Jones" William (s)  and Rees, these families moved to Cardiff, Glamorgan.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 July 18 09:39 BST (UK) »
Looking at the newspaper reports and other sources, I see a slightly different story:

April 2nd -  Sergeant Evan Wide leaves the docks police force
April 13th - Evan Wide and Mrs Mary Ann Kidney (nee Baker) go off together and stay at the Kings Arms in Dartmouth as Mr & Mrs Reynolds
April 14th - Wide and Mrs Kidney seen on board the Drummond Castle at Dartmouth, bound for Natal.

1883 - June - The Kidneys are divorced

1884-5 (?) Evan Wide and Mary Ann return to the UK

1885-6 - Evan Wide is landlord of the Centre Hotel, Orchard Lane, Southampton (per newspaper reports)

1886 1st quarter - Evan Wide and Mary Ann Baker are married in Southampton

1900 - Evan Wide is in Johannesburg per his son's marriage announcement

1889-1902 (?) - Evan Wide serves as an orderly with the Imperial Hospital Corps

1902 Evan Wide dies in Natal. His wife has predeceased him
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 July 18 09:51 BST (UK) »
He died 21 August 1902 at Addington Hospital, Durban. He'd been living with his daughter Elizabeth and her husband Alfred Tope.

See the Estate File

Offline Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 July 18 10:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you Shaun, I just did a quick break down of what happened to him. I have copies of his will, his daughter Elizabeth stated no other living persons,didn't know the name of his mother, yet she lived with her when his first wife died, his Son Evan was also living in Cardiff. There is a lot more to his story, and his trip back to Cardiff. Are you related?

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 July 18 10:59 BST (UK) »
No, not related.

Offline Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 July 18 11:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you again for your reply. I have reached out to the South Africa Tope family, no response . They are back in the UK. thank you again Jane