Author Topic: Local food favourites  (Read 10602 times)

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
Re: Local food favourites
« Reply #18 on: Friday 22 October 04 11:54 BST (UK) »
;D This will save on bubblebath  ;D

Chortle!!!
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline GRACELAND

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Elvis Presley* ARTIST OF THE CENTURY..*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 22 October 04 18:47 BST (UK) »
 ;D  HEY Fitty none of your brews on here frogs legs ect  ;D
God Knew Elvis was Tired so he called him to rest !................
"I like it well done, Cooked. I ain't orderin' a pet."
--Elvis Presley, On Meat
"Don't be like nobody else or you'll be livin' a lie, and that ain't livin'."
--Elvis Presley, On Individuality

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 23 October 04 09:43 BST (UK) »

I remember 'mock crab' from when I was a kid in Liverpool in the 50's only we didn't have tomatoes in it but mustard powder. Never liked it cos it was too hot and spicy.

My late brother absolutely loved Tripe. White is was and boiled in milk Ugh. Tried to make me eat it but no way was I going to eat that stuff. Although I do love black pudding. Had some for breakfast this morning but living in Sussex it's nowhere near the same as Lancashires black puddings.   

Mind you I think the same of white cheshire cheese. It's nowhere near the same sharp taste as what I call proper cheshire cheese. Maybe as I have hit my second childhood it my taste buds that have changed, Who knows?

;D ;D ;D ;D
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline fluffnco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 24 October 04 19:12 BST (UK) »
My fave when living up home in newcastle was a Stottie cake Breakfast :P Stottie cakes are a round fairly flat bread very moist and light inside which was then filled with bacon, egg, mushrooms, black pudding, and anything else you could stuff in it. YUM!

Up in Scotland my fave was buttries fresh from the bakers every morning. Can't get them south of the border unfortunately :(

other faves are hamshank soup with huge fluffy dumplings

Pan haggerty a kind of potato and cornbeef hotpot but done on top of the stove...ermmmm.. got to be loads more :)

Adele
Researching:
Thomson/Davies/Johnson  - (St Pancras/Shoreditch  Area London  and Monmouthsire),
Cross  -  (Burradon/Gateshead/Tynemouth areas of Newcastle on Tyne)
Anderson -  ( Gateshead/Wallsend/ Byker/Tynemouth areas of Newcastle on Tyne)
Mutch  -  (Marnoch/Aberchirder/Ellon/Inverkeithny/Fyvie/Turriff areas of Banffshire Scotland)
Riddell  -  (Marnoch/Aberchirder areas of Banffshire Scotland)

Offline troods

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my greatgrandma Dorcas Charlotte Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 25 October 04 00:00 BST (UK) »
Hello All

Being a dinkee di aussie and have married into an Italian family I now love pasta and I think I cook it pretty darn good as well. Learn't off the husband.

You can't beat good homemade pasta with sauce.

Though I am now a good deal heavier than what I was when I met him, thanks to my love of pasta.

Troods
Williams- Devon to Vic Oz;
Holmes - Donnegal to Vic Oz; Hall Westmoreland/Kent to Vic Oz;
Shipwash - Kent;
Edwards - Lambeth;
Nolan - Ireland;
Grady - Kerry to WA Oz;
Matson - Nova Scotia to SA Oz

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 25 October 04 01:25 BST (UK) »
My fave when living up home in newcastle was a Stottie cake Breakfast  Stottie cakes are a round fairly flat bread very moist and light inside which was then filled with bacon, egg, mushrooms, black pudding, and anything else you could stuff in it. YUM!

we call em Oven Cakes here....or Oven Bottom Cakes.  lovely warm with butter and Jam   3 millions calories a bite tho!   lol
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline GRACELAND

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Elvis Presley* ARTIST OF THE CENTURY..*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 26 October 04 12:57 BST (UK) »
 :o :o Fitty ,
                    Don't eat all that you won't get the broom off the ground  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
God Knew Elvis was Tired so he called him to rest !................
"I like it well done, Cooked. I ain't orderin' a pet."
--Elvis Presley, On Meat
"Don't be like nobody else or you'll be livin' a lie, and that ain't livin'."
--Elvis Presley, On Individuality

nooshie

« Reply #25 on: Monday 06 December 04 22:12 GMT (UK) »
South west dishes include the famous cornish pasties, clotted cream and scones, devon roast (meat cooked in water with onions and spuds around it - yummy), hogs pudding (as it comes or fried) a sort of white black pudding, saffron cake spread with butter, and strangest of all the cornish star gazey pie which is made of herrings under a shortcrust lid with the fish heads and tails sticking out of the crust!

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 07 December 04 10:53 GMT (UK) »
[quote .... cornish star gazey pie which is made of herrings under a shortcrust lid with the fish heads and tails sticking out of the crust!

sounds like the Malaysian national dish: Fish head curry.

You daren't look at what you're eating, as it stares back at you. Nothing so offputting as being watched while you're eating. Sounds disgusting, looks worse, tastes lovely though.
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II